Guys help unusual grinding noise when brakin :(

danb87

South East England Area Rep
guys, ive developed a grinding noise, you only really notice it when pretty much comin too a complete stop, not so much when brakin from say 40 too 30.

me an me mechnic have taken calipers off looked for stones, etc anything that could be catching but couldn find anything. only thing we found was one of the pistons in caliper was a bit stiff, even tho its been rebuilt recently.

so we thought that could have caused the caliper too twist on brakin etc but sorted that weent for another drive an then still there :(

gettin too the end of the teather atm, is there anything i can look for tomo as i need too sort this asap

all help will be repped guys

thanks

dan

triple j

Member +
It sounds like pads are wore out but u would no that yourself, maybe take the stiff caliper apart soak it and stick some new seals in

danb87

pads haven even seen 1500 miles yet mate lol. they are still very meaty,we had the stiff piston an re greased it.

juist too add the noise is not then when i let it roll too a stop, seems too only be when braking.

triple j

Member +
Hard to no man, if it was pissing me off and i had the time i would take them off and apart soak them in kerosene or paraffin over night and maybe new seal kits, that piston could be sticking a little, is it the front or rear that the noise is coming from

My front left is doing alot of grinding but I think its just my pads, replacments have been bought, my right was makin a sligbt grinding rubbing, at the start I thought cv joint,wheel bearing or the dust cover rubbing, yours wouldnt be any of the above? My grinding eventually stoped for no reason

danb87

Nothing touching or catching the disc? Have you checked wheel bearings?

wheel bearing wer just changed but we had an issue with the hub bit itself the hardeded metal had worn away so has too put some weld round an grind down, but was told that was fine too do?

disc gaurds are not touching first thing we check, just weird why it only happens when on the brakes, but not when rolling too a stop if that makes sense.

abbott check that today mate, an seemed ok, could check for warpage as the tool ouldn work on the grroved discs :(

danb87

wel i dont know the exact term for it but on the hub itself theres 2 bits that seprate, that the wheel bearing goes on. the harded meatl was fucked, so wacked a bit of weld round it. ground it n smoothed it etc all proper. me mates done it on his cars previously.

but its been fine. this was like 2 weeks ago this was done.

but surelyif that was an issue it would be constant. an not when i apply the brakes?

Texx

Super Moderator
Welding the wheel hub flange (if that's what was done?) isn't something I'd want to do, but it probably wouldn't cause a grinding noise unless the bearing was damaged when the flange was pressed back in or the heat from the weld distorted the metal causing the flange to not run true. I'd go back and pull the brakes off, check the pad material for any hard lumps, Honda used to have a problem, particularly with Ferodo pads, where the material was too ferrous even to the point that the pad lining would rust to the brake discs and rip away from the backing plate after the car had been stood for a while. If there's any obvious hard lumps in the surface of the lining, dig them out and deglaze the pads with some 80 grit emery. While your there, loosen the hub nuts and check for any excessive play and roughness in the wheel bearings by pulling the hub flange up/down/side to side and rotating it by hand. If anything doesn't feel right then replace the bearing and also the wheel hub flange that has been welded. Taking the chance of 'bodging it up' isn't worth the risk of a hub flange or bearing failing.

danb87

sorry for delay texx, we tried changing the discs round checkec pads etc rubbed them down a bit etc an still no joy. even thi swtiched sides noise still stays the same.

we have found an inperfection on one of the discs tho which ima look into gettin a repolacement as they haven covered many miles atall.

have also ordered used hub/drive flanges which is what were worn an we welded. so can only assume thats the caus now :(

AdamB

Member +
I agree with Texx mate, wouldn't weld near the wheel bearing. The problem is you have to be 100% sure you have filed it down properly to leave no welding snags. Let us know how it goes when you get it sorted mate.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I wouldn't worry about it. I have similar noise left front wheel. The pad is catching the disc. And got nothing to do with the callipers. Did you change the discs since the caliper rebuild? Have you got brake cylinder stopper?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Even if there was an inperfection on the disc, i.e raised edge it would be catching the pad and making it wear down even on the surface of it. You would be able to identify that by just looking at it.

From everything covered in the topic i could only assume that maybe your piston is not retracting properly and thus pushing the pads on the discs to give that sort of grinding noise. I hear similar noises from time to time on the discs and ive pushed all the dust covers back abit to give the disc some room to rule them out. Just put it down to the pads touching the disc slightly.

danb87

Even if there was an inperfection on the disc, i.e raised edge it would be catching the pad and making it wear down even on the surface of it. You would be able to identify that by just looking at it.

From everything covered in the topic i could only assume that maybe your piston is not retracting properly and thus pushing the pads on the discs to give that sort of grinding noise. I hear similar noises from time to time on the discs and ive pushed all the dust covers back abit to give the disc some room to rule them out. Just put it down to the pads touching the disc slightly.

but it doesn sound like that mate, as ive had that before, not like a light scuff noise its pretty loud an you can feel it though sterring an pedals floor etc. the creaking as ive now named it is rather noticeble

adam, yea mate it was atemp thing until i found another hub etc which ive now found an shud be here for weekend all going well.