Help with suspension set up?

mattyep82

Fresh Recruit
Alright people, the roads where I live are terrible and everytime I drive my car over them I feel like my cars going to snap into two! I have recently fitted brand new kyb standard shocks and s-tech tein lowering springs thinking this would cure my problem but it's only made it slightly better. I have 185/60/14 tyres which should be ok and cushion some of the bumps. The only thing I can think of that is causing my discomfort could be the power flex bushes I have fitted in the wishbones and rear trailing arm. Has anyone else had problems with these bushes and would it be wise to change them back to standard bushes? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

5e colin

Member +
stock shocks with stock springs is best for back roads

anything else will make is just very bouncy on the shit back roads we have

weeJohn

Lifer
The shocks and springs are the cause of the harsh ride, poly bushes make a bit of difference but not much.

Stock shocks and lowering springs are the best for a daily, especially on bumpy roads.

mattyep82

Fresh Recruit
Cheers 5e Colin and weejohn for the advice. Looks like I've got to live with the harsh ride and just turn the music up lol

Jay

Admin
Those KYB (Excel-G?) shocks are pretty much stock equivalents so I can't see them being too harsh, the TEIN springs are one of the more comfortable sets I've sampled too. I'm running a set of these on a GT at the minute and they are much more relaxing than most. You haven't noticed any signs of a busted shock or an iffy top mount Matty?

Rev

Member +
Rough roads here too I have been wondering if the KYB sr's are any good.
They say they have a lot more travel than standard but still respond quickly eg, you will notice a difference in comfort going over ruts like bridge joins. Stockish shocks and springs are best but does anyone know how KYBsr's rate for bumpy , potholed and rutted roads ?

Mat it does seem like you have got a good setup but looking at posts people say -
> Tighter bushes can give a rougher ride.
> The Tien Stech have a larger spring rate than stock maybe wrong but I thought was 2.1kgf/mm back and 2.5front to 1.33f and .9 kgf/mm back that seems a big change in back setup.

Last edited:

MeisterR

Lifer
Alright people, the roads where I live are terrible and everytime I drive my car over them I feel like my cars going to snap into two! I have recently fitted brand new kyb standard shocks and s-tech tein lowering springs thinking this would cure my problem but it's only made it slightly better. I have 185/60/14 tyres which should be ok and cushion some of the bumps. The only thing I can think of that is causing my discomfort could be the power flex bushes I have fitted in the wishbones and rear trailing arm. Has anyone else had problems with these bushes and would it be wise to change them back to standard bushes? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Were your bushed installed correctly? Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6OEohnPKw
Edwin

5e colin

Member +
sadly that vid is useless to us coz non of them have that design on them neither powerflex or superpro :( :(

good watch anyways learned a tat more :)