hissing noise from engine, came and went lol!

Kev

Member +
Hi all....

Just been driving on the motorway and had been on for some 3-4 junctions and my glanza developed only what I could describe as a hissing sound from under the bonnet.

My first thought was boost leak from one of the pipes, everything is standard other then filter and hks bov. Pulled over straight away and as I came to a stop on tick over the noise went. Inspected the engine bay, but everything seemed ok from what I could see.

Pulled off and as soon as the turbo came on boost the noise came back, again making me think it must be a boost leak on the pipes... We decided to turn around and head for home, but after a short while the noise went completely.

The odd thing is, there has been no change in performance, boosting to 0.7 bar as before and everything is exactly the same and the noise is now gone.

Could it be that one of the boost pipes had a leak and then somehow has sealed itself back up lol?

Just seems odd how a noise such as that would come and then completely go...

thanks for any suggestions???

Kev

Kev

Member +
Hi...

Just been checking all the pipes and they all seem fine, I travelled about 30 miles back home and the noise has completely gone.

Intercooler pipes seem fine and all the other pipes seem ok too.

I'll take it back out and see if the noise comes back.

EDIT: Just got a few more turns to the bolts holding the clips on the intercooler pipes, the bolts didn't seem all that tight, but again the pipes seemed secure in place.

Kev

Last edited:

niv18

Fresh Recruit

It is the part that i have circled, its the ring which has gone down, so you need to put it back in its place and screw it well.

Cheers

MAD_MO

Member +
its probabily your bov mate. its starting to leak under heat. mine started doing that and then stopped. then started doing it again. strange for a hks though...

Craig_GT

Lifer
its probabily your bov mate. its starting to leak under heat. mine started doing that and then stopped. then started doing it again. strange for a hks though...

hit nail on the head there... Check the bov and give it a good clean, could be sticking, but as said above its not like HKS to do that..

Spoonz

Member +
it could have been the bov depending on the throttle position has you where drivig down motorway you could have had for example 40%throttle so the bov opens up a bit and releases air if u understand that, if it dosnt do it at 100% throttle then it aint a boost leak from your intercoller,
just my 2 cents

Kev

Member +
I'll check the bov and give it a good clean, after coming home we got back in the car and set off again and everything seems fine...

So it's been up and down the motorway with no problems, anyway we were going to Alton Towers in our week off, been years since I last went, really enjoyed it!