jam/blitz/mines ecus..my

turboloon

Member +
i've seen alot of people advertising these type of ecu's as 'self learning',people are being blatanly ripped off by such cliams,perhaps thinking that they're buying something on a par with apexi power fc or the likes,now from all the other forums i've been a member off people don't genrally use these ecus as they're mapped for jap fuel which has a much higher octane level than we get in the uk,i've heard on the pulsar gtir forums of some of the mines ecu's running unlimited boost!!!resulting in peoples engines going bang!! for what it's worth my view is that if yer going to the extent of forking out 300-400 quid why don't people just buy emb,emu or similar,and if i was going the budget route i'd have a fpr/safc and fuel cut defender at the very minimum and all ways get it set up by a renowned tuner.i'll probably get slautered for the above ..but newbies to jap car ownership deserve to know the truth about these ecu's.:teach::drive::beer:

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
im not saying they are self learning.. but they adjust themselves fors some minor mods..

there was someone over here with a wideband on and he said it fueld a tdo4 fine with preety much everything he did.. upped the boost fmic airfilter etc..

Ted

Member +
i've seen alot of people advertising these type of ecu's as 'self learning',people are being blatanly ripped off by such cliams,thinking that they're buying something on a par with apexi power fc or the likes,now from all the other forums i've been a member off people don't genrally use these ecus as they're mapped for jap fuel which has a much higher octane level than we get in the uk,i've heard on the pulsar gtir forums of some of the mines ecu's running unlimited boost!!!resulting in peoples engines going bang!! for what it's worth my view is that if yer going to the extent of forking out 300-400 quid why don't people just buy emb,emu or similar,and if i was going the budget route i'd have a fpr/safc and fuel cut defender at the very minimum and all ways get it set up by a renowned tuner.i'll probably get slautered for the above ..but newbies to jap car ownership deserve to know the truth about these ecu's.:teach::drive::beer:

think you'll find most people on this site know exactly what these ecus are capable of. they do a job on a mildly tuned car and self learn a little.
noone has ever said on here they are on a par with an apexi power fc.

if someone uses a powerfc at unlimited boost it will still go bang.

turboloon

Member +
but there will be people that are new to these type of things and not have a clue really..ok i apoligize for saying that people are saying they're on a par with a power fc as nobody actually has said that, what i meant was maybe people that are not to knowledgble /misinformed about these type of things may consider this to be stand alone..when it isn't it's just a chipped ecu,all that i'm trying to say is before you fork out 300-400 quid on one of these i would personally be looking at other options,like i said no body seems to say that these ecu's are also mapped for a higher octane fuel!! i'm only giving my point of view and peoples other experinces on other jap motors with these type of ecus...

Rory

Lifer
These work pretty well with CT9 setups, also TD04 if your carefull. (<<Tried and tested)

Yes they retail for an awfull lot, but if people do not do there homework before buying, then thats there problem

I did run 1.1 bar on the Mines ECU with the TD04 and it was fine, fueling and ignition ;)

Personally run a Mines ECU with the EMU piggy backed now with the TD04 @ 1.3/4 bar.

Chris@CCM

Member +
its a lucky dip some ive seen work ok some ive seen are pure crap i would defo no spend 400 pounds on one

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have used the same one on 2 different cars and have no problems at all. car goes very well with it.

i run a power fc on one of my cars and i still think the jam ecu is good value for money.

100 for a fcd + 100 for a rrfpr + fee for setting up (£70 ish) that is for a V.basic setup. the jam ecu adjusts the timing too which is an added bonus.

the standard ecu is set jap fuel so saying the aftermarket ones are too is a worthless statement. the car runs a knock sensor so if the knock is too excessive it cuts the timing back anyway. if you run vpower it is so lose to the octane of jap fuel its not worth worrying about.

Chris@CCM

Member +
i have used the same one on 2 different cars and have no problems at all. car goes very well with it.

i run a power fc on one of my cars and i still think the jam ecu is good value for money.

100 for a fcd + 100 for a rrfpr + fee for setting up (£70 ish) that is for a V.basic setup. the jam ecu adjusts the timing too which is an added bonus.

the standard ecu is set jap fuel so saying the aftermarket ones are too is a worthless statement. the car runs a knock sensor so if the knock is too excessive it cuts the timing back anyway. if you run vpower it is so lose to the octane of jap fuel its not worth worrying about.
ur one might be ok pal but ive seen some that are very very poor i would never spend 400 pounds on somthing that MIGHT work

dac69er

Super Moderator
ur one might be ok pal but ive seen some that are very very poor i would never spend 400 pounds on somthing that MIGHT work

yeah, thats fine mate. i agree with that.

i saw a rolling road graph from the previous owner and a list of his mods so was happy with what i was getting :p

turboloon

Member +
like chris say it can be a bit of a lottery!!!i am of the same thinking that 400 quid for these type of ecu is rather steep,the going rate for these type of ecus on other jap cars is between 150-200 quid mark..but as they say diffrent horses diffrent courses!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
like chris say it can be a bit of a lottery!!!i am of the same thinking that 400 quid for these type of ecu is rather steep,the going rate for these type of ecus on other jap cars is between 150-200 quid mark..but as they say diffrent horses diffrent courses!!

depends on the car i suppose. the starlets never used to have alot of tuning parts for them so these ecus were rare and commanded more of a premium.

at the end of the day, whatever people want to pay is what they are worth. its not just the fact its a chipped ecu, its the rarity value and its jdm and people pay good money for that.

hardcoreep

Member +
i've seen alot of people advertising these type of ecu's as 'self learning',people are being blatanly ripped off by such cliams,perhaps thinking that they're buying something on a par with apexi power fc or the likes,now from all the other forums i've been a member off people don't genrally use these ecus as they're mapped for jap fuel which has a much higher octane level than we get in the uk,i've heard on the pulsar gtir forums of some of the mines ecu's running unlimited boost!!!resulting in peoples engines going bang!! for what it's worth my view is that if yer going to the extent of forking out 300-400 quid why don't people just buy emb,emu or similar,and if i was going the budget route i'd have a fpr/safc and fuel cut defender at the very minimum and all ways get it set up by a renowned tuner.i'll probably get slautered for the above ..but newbies to jap car ownership deserve to know the truth about these ecu's.:teach::drive::beer:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/TOYOTA_TUNERS/index.php?showtopic=128&view=getnewpost

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/wheels_forum/index.php?topic=78078.0

Sorry for the repost, but obviously someone needs to be educated.

http://hardcore.ep91.com/features_nrhone.html This car made 320whp and 299lb/ft of torque using a Mine's ECU with a SAFC. Yet he can still turn down the boost and drive the car everyday on Jamaican pump gas as he pleases. Try that with a fixed map.

ALaN

Member +
i personally run a blitz ecu and i've went from having just a cat back and cone filter with it to having full exhaust (mani back with decat) with upgraded actuator at 1 bar with big fuel pump relocated filter etc and my wideband has had the same reading after fitting every mod, if anything it fuels a bit heavier on wot but thats it and with the timing of the blitz above 5k its a totally different car.i paid top dollar for mine and dont regret it 1 bit.

my blitz access has taken me from standard to 218bhp 210lbft with supporting mods with no issues . alot of folk arnt loaded and can't afford to get there gar mapped each time the change something off course a standalone ecu or piggy backs are better but it all comes down to hoe much £'s u got and where u want to take it ;)

GP82

Member +
Rory's 1.1 bar on TD04 and Hardcoreep's friend Spi with 300+hp is proof that these ecu's can handle what is thrown at them with the correct supporting harware (pump, injector's, interceptor's).

I got a question on this self learning business, if these aftermarket ecu's can accept bigger injector's like 360cc and adjust's the duty cycle on them to work with the setup, is that not self learning to an extent as the stock ecu can not do that.

hardcoreep

Member +
I got a question on this self learning business, if these aftermarket ecu's can accept bigger injector's like 360cc and adjust's the duty cycle on them to work with the setup, is that not self learning to an extent as the stock ecu can not do that.

The stock ECU can adjust fuel up to 15 to 20% larger injectors. The same for the aftermarket units. You can run up to 330cc injectors on the stock ECU without any problems. However the factory ECU is programmed not to pass a certain duty cycle for various reasons. The EP ECU seems to have a max of around 60% before going to limp mode ie:100%. The Blitz ECU runs up to 80% duty cycle.

330cc x .6 = 198cc
295cc x .8 = 236cc

Therefore a Blitz Access with the stock injectors will deliver more fuel than the stock ECU with larger injectors. The ECU doesn't actually know what size injectors are in the vehicle, its just looking for a specific reading in return for its injector trim/increase. If its cant get that figure then it cant fuel properly.

Fatman

Member +
I'm interested in how exactly the ECU can compensate for larger injectors, clearly you're pretty well versed in the topic, any insights?

cameroon95

Member +
The reason i'm tempted to get one at some point is because they hold their value so well. You usually get exactly what you paid for them or sometimes a bit more.

If you re-sell a greddy emanage or the like, most people make a loss of a couple of hundred.

The stock ECU can adjust fuel up to 15 to 20% larger injectors. The same for the aftermarket units. You can run up to 330cc injectors on the stock ECU without any problems. However the factory ECU is programmed not to pass a certain duty cycle for various reasons. The EP ECU seems to have a max of around 60% before going to limp mode ie:100%. The Blitz ECU runs up to 80% duty cycle.

330cc x .6 = 198cc
295cc x .8 = 236cc

Therefore a Blitz Access with the stock injectors will deliver more fuel than the stock ECU with larger injectors. The ECU doesn't actually know what size injectors are in the vehicle, its just looking for a specific reading in return for its injector trim/increase. If its cant get that figure then it cant fuel properly.

i run a blitz ecu and my injector duty is at 96%