loud clutch

lanxter

Member +
Just had a 6 puck competition clutch (http://www.competitionclutch.com/) fitted to my gt. This drives and feels really nice. However when its not in gear and the pedal is not pressed down it makes a really loud rattling, when I press the pedal down again this goes away. I've heard of clutch's being noisy before and wondered if this is normal?

Thanks

mark

lanxter

Member +
Thanks for the reply mate. I've been back to the company who installed it already and they said they would contact the manufacturer, I'm quite confident they have fitted it correctly though.

Id just heard of some brands rattling before like the OS Griken ones are well know for it and wasnt sure if this was the same.

Last edited:

lanxter

Member +
oh right, this was only fitted yesterday. Just wondered if it was normal as those OS griken ones are known for being loud. Wasn't sure if this was the same.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I dont believe it to be normal mate, ECC sell these? Surely they've fitted one and would be able to tell you? But i dont think its normal for them.

whiteglanzav

Member +
yes mate that is the reason why those type of clutches rattle - as they have a plate which is not secured and "floats" on the fly wheel as you can see here on the bottom right.

orc.jpg

so the fact that yours doesnt have this and rattles probobly points towards thrust bearing or some other problem - but saying that if ians makes the noise and is fine it could be somthing completely different

dac69er

Super Moderator
my original clutch in the 4wd starlet rattled, the inner part of the clutch plate was damaged due to monkeys fitting it. the spring parts were loose too which could also cause a rattle. fitted a brand new exedy paddle clutch and the rattle has gone ;)

lanxter

Member +
Thanks for the reply dac.

Had it looked at by a toyota mechanic today and he said he thinks its the clutch fork as they are known to make a noise and is a common fault on them but nothing to worry about.

So not sure if to take it back now or what.

lanxter

Member +
Thanks for all the help chaps, rung them back and its going back in next week to have the box off and see whats what.

Glanza D

Member +
Mines same mark, Excedy paddle jobbie, rattles noticably and its had 2 replacment release bearings so defo not that, not though about clutch fork, may have a look at that too.
Id email CC directly and ask them if they had other reports of it.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Thanks for the reply dac.

Had it looked at by a toyota mechanic today and he said he thinks its the clutch fork as they are known to make a noise and is a common fault on them but nothing to worry about.

So not sure if to take it back now or what.
The rubber grommet on the outside would stop it from rattling, and when you fit the fork to the release bearing its fairly tight,no room for rattle as such.