New Brakes Fitted. Would You Buy 3Gs Again?

Idrees

Banned
New Brakes Fitted. Would You Buy 3Gs Again? I would! CRN's are shit!

Hey guys, just thought I'd post some new and old pics of my brakes.

The stopping on the car before was excellent, but the cracks in the discs are something else!

SDC12352.jpg

SDC12354.jpg

SDC12356.jpg

One brand new I wouldn't use again..

[
SDC12357.jpg

On with the new..

SDC12359.jpg

SDC12368.jpg

CRN grooved discs with yellow stuff pads, £118 well spent on ebay, very fast delivery. Sometimes they do feel a little spongy, but they are still being bedded in so can't comment much further on them. Fitting wise they are excellent and easy to fit.

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Ive had mine over 5 years with my 3G discs and there starting to show those signs, but lasted a very long time so great value for money.

Iain

Gryzor

Admin
can see now why the jap discs don't have the groove to the edge of the discs.
How thick are/where the discs Idrees ?

Jaf_ep91

Member +
cracks

serious cracks like, not changed the discs on mine for a while so better get them check was thinking on going 3g anyway would u recomend?

Idrees

Banned
Ive had mine over 5 years with my 3G discs and there starting to show those signs, but lasted a very long time so great value for money.

Iain
That's actually a good point, I don't know how long they're been fitted to the car. Then again, my bro put some new ones on his which lasted him about 6 months or so before cracking.

Didn't look twice at the thickness on them tbh mate.

serious cracks like, not changed the discs on mine for a while so better get them check was thinking on going 3g anyway would u recomend?
I personally wouldn't buy 3G's again unless they were silly cheap, I'd go for these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARLET-TURBO...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Aidan-G

Member +

thats where the heat will kill the disc first and travell on down then,dont know why most disks come like that

sx_turbo

Lifer
the problem is there just standard discs that are machined, there not true sports discs, there just cheap brembo discs with grooves in.

proper uprated discs would normally go through hardening proceses etc etc etc

Last edited:

WallaceGlanza

Member +
the problem is there just standard discs that are machined, there not true sports discs, there just cheap brembo discs with grooves in.

proper uprated discs would normally go through hardening proceses etc etc etc

The crn discs are exactly the same too but they use blueprint one's, I've never rated my 3G's well since I got them and one appears to be slightly warped now too.

Gtstu

Member +
i brought the exact same deal and had them since last august they have taken a beating and are not cracked and the pads still have plenty of life in them.

Cracks like that are often caused by hard braking to a standstill and then keeping your foot on the brake, all the heat from the pads soaks to the discs. When stopped, use your handbrake and the pads/discs have a chance to cool

dac69er

Super Moderator
Cracks like that are often caused by hard braking to a standstill and then keeping your foot on the brake, all the heat from the pads soaks to the discs. When stopped, use your handbrake and the pads/discs have a chance to cool

agreed. i have previously had 2 sets of 3g discs and never had a problem with even minimal cracking.

addz

Member +

The man has a point, not sure if this would prevent damage to dics's BUT it's a good practice for sure.

ryan_v

Lifer
I had the same discs and the same problem, cracked all over after one track day. only thing i could suggest to try and help keep them cool would be fit a cold air feed (some sort of pipes) from the front bumper inside of the wheel.

ALaN

Member +
i've not long bedded in a crn kit and I honestly dont rate them much.
my set up is sometimes scary when the brakes are cold and although very good when warm I have managed to cook them a few times to the point where the just dont stop you anymore which obv isnt good.
could be my fluid though