Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

Trader
I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Guy

TomS

Lifer
Make: Toyota Starlet gt turbo Auto
Year: 1993
Engine size 1330

No mods

Type of use: road

What is the best gearbox oil to use and how often should it be changed?

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Make - Volvo
Model - 740 GL Estate
Year - 1988
Engine size/type - 2L Petrol with 172k miles

Any mods - No

Type of use (road/track) - Road, long road trip with some hard driving (burnout attempts at Le Mans)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) - No idea, just bought it, want to service it.

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? - Engine, box and diff.

Kelly

Member +
Make toyota
Model ep82 turbo
Year 1990
Engine size/type -1.3turbo

Any mods - running approx 230bhp

Type of use (road/track) - track/ driven hard

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) - oil temp never rises above 75/80 even on track. oil at mo halfords 5/40

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? -engine and gearbox. Gearbox has straight cut gears.

rb69

Member +
Make: Toyota
Model: Starlet Glanza V
Year: 1996
Engine size/type: 1331cc 4E-FTE

Any mods: Apexi Cat back exhaust system; TRD ignition leads

Type of use (road/track) Road use

What do you recommend for engine and Gear box.

Noticed I have a sticker still on the underside of the bonnet in Japanese that says 10w 30

sx_turbo

Lifer
Make: TOYOTA
Model: STARLET
Engine size/type: 1331CC TURBO 4E-FTE

Any mods: HYBRID TURBO running 1.1bar, standard internals

Type of use (road/track): fast road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used): unfortunately i have no oil temp gauges, and i am currently using Valvoline SYNPOWER 5w40 fully synthetic in engine. and Valvoline SYNPOWER 75w90 TDL fully synthetic in the gearbox, gearbox has no LSD

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?: Engine and gearbox

think this is a fantastic idea oil man.

rep points for you

oilman

Trader
Make: Toyota Starlet gt turbo Auto
Engine size 1330

No mods

Type of use: road

What is the best gearbox oil to use and how often should it be changed?

A good Dexron II or Dexron III ATF is ideal, will only need changing every coule of years.

Have a look at the Fuchs ATF4000.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman

Trader
Make - Volvo
Model - 740 GL Estate
Year - 1988
Engine size/type - 2L Petrol with 172k miles

Any mods - No

Type of use (road/track) - Road, long road trip with some hard driving (burnout attempts at Le Mans)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) - No idea, just bought it, want to service it.

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? - Engine, box and diff.

For the engine a good 10w-40 semi synthetic is fine, for the diff a GL5 SAE90 so regular diff oil.

Is the gearbox manual or auto?

Cheers

Guy.

goldenvtr

Member +
Make toyota
Model ep82 GT
Year 1994
Engine size/type 1500

Any mods: Forged internals, oil question will relate to 300+bhp and torque (currently 230bhp)

Type of use (road/track) everyday and track use.

could you advice me on an oil for trackuse and everyday use please

Thanks in advance!

oilman

Trader
Make: Toyota
Model: Starlet Glanza V
Year: 1996
Engine size/type: 1331cc 4E-FTE

Any mods: Apexi Cat back exhaust system; TRD ignition leads

Type of use (road/track) Road use

What do you recommend for engine and Gear box.

Noticed I have a sticker still on the underside of the bonnet in Japanese that says 10w 30

10w-30 is a very jap grade and not very common over here, we have much more choice so your looking at 5w-30 or 5w-40, 5w-40 being the most popular. Plenty to choose from Fuchs, Motul, Silkolene, Mobil etc.

For the gearbox a good 75w-90.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman

Trader
Make: TOYOTA
Model: STARLET
Engine size/type: 1331CC TURBO 4E-FTE

Any mods: HYBRID TURBO running 1.1bar, standard internals

Type of use (road/track): fast road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used): unfortunately i have no oil temp gauges, and i am currently using Valvoline SYNPOWER 5w40 fully synthetic in engine. and Valvoline SYNPOWER 75w90 TDL fully synthetic in the gearbox, gearbox has no LSD

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?: Engine and gearbox

think this is a fantastic idea oil man.

rep points for you

You are spot on with your viscositys, the Vavloine is not all thhat though so next up for you would be an improvement on quality to a true synthetic, such as Mobil, Motul, fuchs or Silkolene.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman

Trader
Make toyota
Model ep82 GT
Year 1994
Engine size/type 1500

Any mods: Forged internals, oil question will relate to 300+bhp and torque (currently 230bhp)

Type of use (road/track) everyday and track use.

could you advice me on an oil for trackuse and everyday use please

Thanks in advance!

You will be able to use one oil for both road and track, any idea on oil temps?

Cheers

Guy.

sx_turbo

Lifer
sorry to ba a pain, is COMMA fully synthetic any good?

just i work with a motor factors, and i deal with comma and valvoline, and i get them at cost prices, so obviously prefer to use one of those ONLY if the oils any good though.

goldenvtr

Member +
well i havnt got my oil temp guage in at the moment but when i did on teh road i wasnt seeing over 80 after a hard driving session

GTti

Member +
I know Silkolene 5w40 is shear safe untill 140 degrees. This is what I use in my GTti and my other car has Motul, but will be moving to synthetic.

Comma is fine as far as I'm concerned I have used it in the 4EFTE, just change it more often.

But for a good oil with good protection you want a good base stock, the motorsport line of Motul and Redline and Silkolene are amoungst the best.

oilman

Trader
sorry to ba a pain, is COMMA fully synthetic any good?

just i work with a motor factors, and i deal with comma and valvoline, and i get them at cost prices, so obviously prefer to use one of those ONLY if the oils any good though.

Comma is cheap and cheafull, out of theose two I would look to the higher spec Valvolines.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman

Trader
well i havnt got my oil temp guage in at the moment but when i did on teh road i wasnt seeing over 80 after a hard driving session

I would stick with a good 5w-40 synthetic, go for a good genuine one though so stick to the major brands.

Cheers

Guy.