oil pan: GT vs. glanza

dark_knight

Member +
i have a couple of engines out from GTs and my glanza and have noted that my oil pan is narrower than the GT ones. on inspection, the oil pick-ups are also designed differently for the different oil pans. this leads me to think that the GT oil sump holds more oil, true..? also, does this mean that the GT exhaust route is slightly skewed to the right to make some room for the wider oil sump..? i wish i had done an actual measurement before taking the motors out of the cars.. :cool:

dark_knight

Member +
well, these were all turbo motors so no NA here.. :D
i'm thinking i might just as well trade my current narrow sump for the larger capacity GT oil pan to kind of help with heat management as the larger volume of oil will help absorb some decent amount of heat when i do decide to hoon.. and no, i'm not getting an oil cooler for those about to suggest it.. :)
i don't drive in a manner to even suggest that i'd need one.. :p

Jay

Admin
Given that both GT and V engines generally take the same amount of oil when doing an oil change I don't see it being a huge difference between the two.

The sump was changed as part of a raft of other improvements of the 4EFTE during EP91 development. It's quite obvious the shape of the later sump should help reduce oil surge under extreme driving forces thus protecting the engine from oil starvation.

Jay

dark_knight

Member +
i had thought about that and was planning to weld in some anti-surge vanes in the GT sump.. but maybe it's too much work for little gain.. :/

thefalls

Member +
I suggest that you do it since you have the oil pan out. Its always a plus. I did it and dont regret when autocrossing :)

dark_knight

Member +
would anyone know what the actual volumetric difference is between the two sumps..? or maybe i'll just go at it with a measuring jug since i have both of them out scheduled for cleaning anyway.. :D

weeJohn

Lifer
The sump volumes are practically the same its just a different shape to help with oil surge imo. As far as "to much work for to little gains" is concerned, I lost a set of mains and rod bearings before baffling my sump, thats a gain I am happy to have.

dark_knight

Member +
got any pix weeJohn..? either way, i'll see how much effort is needed to baffle the GT sump because i have my oem glanza sump and was just wondering if i need to swap them and get the GT one baffled, hence the statement "much work for little gain" :)