Panhard Rod

chinaone

Member +
Anyone can tell me what difference it'll make after a up rated Panhard Rod been put on?
Got a RSR Panhard Rod waiting to go on, car been lowered bby RSR springs.
But car seems balance to me???
DO i still need to up grade it?

dac69er

Super Moderator
just measure the rear to see if it is out of line. if so then you see by how much then adjsut the panhard rod accordingly then fit it. after fitment let it settle in then re-measure everything again and make any fine adjustments if need be.

chinaone

Member +
just measure the rear to see if it is out of line. if so then you see by how much then adjsut the panhard rod accordingly then fit it. after fitment let it settle in then re-measure everything again and make any fine adjustments if need be.

How or where to measure?

dac69er

Super Moderator
its hard to explain. look at the rear of your car and just look to see if its out of line at all. generally it will only be a small amount anyway.

then park on a flat surface, get a peice of string with a weight on it and hold the string up against the top of the rear wheel arch extension and let the weight dnagle just past the cente of you wheel. measure the distance fron the centre of your wheel to the string.

that will tell you how far out it is then yu adjust he panhard rod in relation to the fixed stock one to take out the difference. after about a month or so re-measure and re-adjust if necessary

seed

Member +
What happened when it's not fixed and left it like that. I mean when it's not adjusted? Any harm?

dac69er

Super Moderator
not sure what you mean mate? as in you fitted an adjustable oe straight out the box?

to be honest its not going to be a million miles out even when lowered so the panhard rod is not entirely essential for most people. it does stiffen the rear up though as its obviously new and has nice new bushes in it.

if its out alot at the back it will handle dodgy and probably crab a bit

sx_turbo

Lifer
mine isnt lowered excessively but the offside wheel rubs the arch when i go over hars bumps.

if left unadjusted it can cause the chassis to twist slightly.

i need to get off my arse and fit mine.

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine is lowered about 40mm and only went out of alignment by about 10mm max. never scrubbed though but fitted the panhard rod the next week

thefalls

Member +
Could anyone post pics of their panhard rod fitted? Any comments on before and after experience would be also appreciated...thanks

Pumba_GT

Member +
I got one quick question here. When u adjust the panhard rod, did u adjust it with the wheels on the ground or above the ground? Only saying this as measurement can only be taken while the wheels are on the ground, but how do we get underneath to adjust the panhard rod? Cheers.

sx_turbo

Lifer
I got one quick question here. When u adjust the panhard rod, did u adjust it with the wheels on the ground or above the ground? Only saying this as measurement can only be taken while the wheels are on the ground, but how do we get underneath to adjust the panhard rod? Cheers.

put the car up on ramps dude.

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you measure how far it is out while on the ground and make a nnote of it and which way it needs to go it doesnt matter if its just jacked up one side or on its roof!!!!

adjust it then lower the car back down and it should be correct of you have measured properly. remember, if its say 10mm out one side you only need to adjust it half that distance to make it correct!

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Fitting a panhard rod

Can anyone tell where the panhard rod connects to and what its actual job is? Mines just arrived and I'm a bit confused by it! lol

benGT

Member +
One end connects to the chassis, and the other to the trailing arm/rear axle.

It holds the axle in line with the chassis so that it does not move from side to side when cornering etc.
You can see where it goes as there is one fitted as standard....

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
if there is one standard why fit an aftermarket one? Also how will I know how much to adjust the new one? Do I just adjust it till its the same length as the stock one?

Cheers Ben.

seed

Member +
Eventually u will now Ian...one of yr rear wheel will be out of align and coming out...just have to make it align then it should do it..correct me if im wrong..

Dan3SGTE

Member +
no because the stock one may not be inline.. you''ll have to measure yourself mate like the others said.......