Please read! Whi is it more crucial to warm a turbo car??

lennyEP82

Member +
To cut a long story short, ive been bollocked by my foreman at work for going out 10mins b4 dinner to start my car, petty as fuck i know but hes got it in for me.I just wanted to get it up to temperature as i was only going to be driving it for 10mins to go to the shop (and i give it a bit of beans to get there quicker). I must add i was not sitting in it just left it running thn went back to work.

Ive spoke to my MD and he has no problem with it whatsoever my question is basically why are turbo chared car more tempremental ie need to be warmed and left to idle after use. I could do with some technical info so on monday i can give some detail why its necessary. Also do the same rules apply to diesel turbos as he MD has 1!Hope that makes sense cheers guys!

C

CaL

my dad just warms his up before work everymorning....140k and still strong....he waits 5 mins for it to warm up....evertime my gt is used its warmed up...if it isnt...it will be driven easily and not harshly....for ANY turbo car its best for it to be warmed up....as you can crack the turbo etc....

Dan3SGTE

Member +
well the reason for letting the turbo cool down after use is to keep the oil running through the turbo while the engine is on cooling it down otherwise just switching your engine off after a hammering will leave the oil sitting in the turbo basically boiling it........ not good.......

Adam_Glanza

Member +
you dont really need 2 warm it up just take it easy 2 start with, you could cause damage to the engine if you rag it from early start

miller3

Member +
You always should bring any car up to temp before going on a energetic drive but it is more important to let it cool under idle so the bearings in the turbo don't seize up

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Sorry........

and also warming any car not just turbo cars is important as it lets all the oil to circulate around all the engine componants nicely lubricated and gets to right tempreture.....

TurboDave

Member +
You shoudlnt let it tick over to warm up all the time, it causes carbon build up within your engine which you dont want.

Oil takes around 6 miles from what I have read to get to full operating temperature.

monka

Member +
yeah i usually just drive off boost below 3k rpm for the for first 10 or so mins, before i do boot it.

when cooling down unless i;ve been hammering it i just turn it off when i have been driving normaly, other wise i turn the turbo timer on

Adam_Glanza

Member +
no matter how im driving i use the turbo timer, always safer than sorry 2 let the car cool down, sometimes just for a minute, but if ive been booting it my greddy turbo timer adds the additional time needed for it 2 cool down its very clever

Chris@CCM

Member +
as long as u drive easy for the frist 10 mins u should be fine mate no real need to let it heat up unless ur going to give her stacks rite away

GTti

Member +
I usually just drive off boost below 3k rpm for the for first 10 mins or so...

Exactly. It's better to get your engine up to temperature quicker by driving it. Just take it easy at the start and the end of your journey.

Oil is the PRIMARY cooling fluid for your turbo, water does very little, its purpose is more convection when the engine is switched off.

lennyEP82

Member +
cheers for your input guys, i only get half hour dinner so tbh i have to put my fot down to get there and back in good time so i havent really got the choice to let it warm naturally:( this is why ive been letting it warm up

dac69er

Super Moderator
i start mine, move my moped out the way, drive the car forward. move my moped back then drive off. sits for about 3-4 mins ish warming up before i go.

to be honest if you drive carefully, warm it up slowly and then cool it down and just let idle for a minute or 2 before turning off then it will be fine. dont have to go so extreme as to let it fully warm up to temp then thrash it, that does more harm than driving off straight away but being a little less heavy on the throttle

tosa2tosa

Member +
im sure sum members already know but jus remember turbo timers are great but it is illegal to leave your car switched on unattended

TurboDave

Member +
I personally wouldnt trust a turbo timer to turn my car off Idd rather turn it off myself. You never know it may not do its job and leave it running and fry your engine.

Red Hot

Member +
Warming up at idle gives more engine wear then when you drive off direct after you've started the car. You just need to take it easy for the first 10minutes.