radiator question

tip

Member +
sup everyone, i have a 4 core radiator on my starlet, my problem is the drain plug has a rubber to seal against coolant leakage right. well my rubber was burned and messed up, i searched for it here couldnt find the original one, my cousin told me to just use an o-ring.i tried it it only held on for 1 week and now the o ring is messed up. does anyone have a sollution for this problem?? what kind of rubber can i use? or what can i do to stop it from leaking??

Last edited:

tip

Member +
should just be a normal o ring. thats all i have ever used

thats what i used dude, but mine is always breaking in two. how? chek out these pics

Image016.jpg

Image015.jpg

Image017.jpg

weeJohn

Lifer
PTFE thread tape that plumbers use to seal up threaded pipe, thats what I use on the exact same bung.

Available in any hardware store.

Texx

Super Moderator
That O ring looks a little too small for the drain tap, maybe that's why it's torn? As John said, put some PTFE tape around the thread or use another O ring or preferably a flat rubber washer but apply some general purpose grease to it (LM grease would do just fine) before screwing the tap back into the rad.

That O ring looks a little too small for the drain tap, maybe that's why it's torn? As John said, put some PTFE tape around the thread or use another O ring or preferably a flat rubber washer but apply some general purpose grease to it (LM grease would do just fine) before screwing the tap back into the rad.

x2 or just from Toyota (like i did to be sure) but its a normal o ring. important to be the correct size

tip

Member +
ok thanks everyone, i put on some ptfe tape and i found an o ring wich fit perfect on the plug now i'll look what happens