Rear not low enough? BC racing coilovers etc

CMR

Member +
This is primarily aimed at BC racing coilover users, but will probably apply to any people with a similar design like d2's etc (2 way adjustable, 3 rings)

Basically, my rear coilovers will not drop any further, the strut is threaded into the bottom mount as far as it will go and there is no/minimal preload on the springs (they can be turned easily by hand)

However I still have a reasonable gap between the tyre and the arch.

I run 15" wheels with a 50 tyre profile, so it would be worse on 45's.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are my only options to turn the top rings so the sprigns sit slightly lose?

Heres a few pics..

low1.jpg

low2.jpg

I dont want them much lower, just maybe 1/2 an inch to sit level with the fronts.

Cheers

sx_turbo

Lifer
it's probably like that as it is what bc deem as safe,

it's probably done like this because of the panhard rod, i know my buddy clubs can go a small ammount lower than what it shows on your car though.

remember the bc's are built mainly for road/occasional track use, not out and out track use.

i maybe wrong though and dave will no doubt come on with an explanation soon

CMR

Member +
Well I know adjusting preload is not the ideal way forward, just i've seen starlets on 40mm springs that look the same on the rear.. I presumed they would drop lower being fully adjustable coilovers.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Dont forget if they are new they will get lower with some use, as the springs need time to take the weight & set in :)

Its normal till they get some use..

kon

CMR

Member +
Well 'reeeall' low wont give the best handling, all i want is them to sit with a finger gap between wheel + arch.

Fingers crossed that they drop a bit now, unless mine have a fault.. still hoping that someone else with BC coilies with 15"s has some pictures :)

I run 15inch wheels with 205/50s and espiller springs (think thats the spelling) and mine sits level, also get a fair bit of rubber tucked under the guard.

Thought you could lower a car alot more with coilovers..

CMR

Member +
I dont think any springs available will tuck the tyres under the arch, they would need to be at least 60mm springs. Most starlet ones are max 40mm.

Bump for anyone else with BC coilovers..

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
you can increase the preload a bit if they are turnable by hand. jack the car up and turn the spring seat adjuster. it should be tight enough to just hold the spring, basically just as it starts to compress the spring. that is 0 preload.

should get you another 5-10mm lowering.

ad as previously stated, they will drop (sag) a bit in time. give them 6 months and they will drop another 5mm or so.

personally i would say that is a nice amount of lowering. low enough for good handling but not too low as to cause any problems.

azerty

Supermoderator
it is strange, you should be able to get much lower than that. with D2's, we were able to have rubbers hidden behind arche. witch is not recomended thought. I think you height is just perfect as it is :)

durmz

Member +
Well 'reeeall' low wont give the best handling, all i want is them to sit with a finger gap between wheel + arch.

Fingers crossed that they drop a bit now, unless mine have a fault.. still hoping that someone else with BC coilies with 15"s has some pictures :)

na i make you right, it ent the best for handling...but i just have this obsession with decking cars..lol, summit wrong with me muahaha :rockon:

CMR

Member +
you can increase the preload a bit if they are turnable by hand.
Surely I want to reduce the preload not increase it, as increasing it will make the car higher?
I'l have another look at the weekend, double check there isnt any preload, i could move the springs by hand which i thought meant that there is 0 preload on them.

it is strange, you should be able to get much lower than that. with D2's, we were able to have rubbers hidden behind arche. witch is not recomended thought. I think you height is just perfect as it is :)

Yeah I wish i'd gone D2's now tbh, just for that extra inch :(
Shame, i never thought that they wouldnt lower enough being fully adjustable

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah sorry. being a spaz!

ignore what i said apart from the bit about the preload. i tend to think that the spring needs to be at least nipped so to speak. if the damper reaches full extension for whatever reason i would feel a bit more comfortable with the spring not being able to move easily.

they will drop a bit with wear, but not as much as you seem to want.