Rebuilding a GT gearbox

Aga

Member +
hello guys.

Has anybody rebuild a gt gearbox himself? i got one in pieces (its not broken, just dissassembled) and for some reason it wasnt getting into gears easily. no crunching noises etc, just not going in... i opened it up and there doesnt seem to be anything broken, in fact i drove home with it...

anyway i'd like to ask if theres a guide to rebuilding these, a rebuild kit and its part number, etc...

im gonna change the bearings, the first two synchros, and all the gaskets etc...

does anybody have the toyota schematics how everything gets back together? or something...
:homer:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
hello guys.

Has anybody rebuild a gt gearbox himself? i got one in pieces (its not broken, just dissassembled) and for some reason it wasnt getting into gears easily. no crunching noises etc, just not going in... i opened it up and there doesnt seem to be anything broken, in fact i drove home with it...

anyway i'd like to ask if theres a guide to rebuilding these, a rebuild kit and its part number, etc...

im gonna change the bearings, the first two synchros, and all the gaskets etc...

does anybody have the toyota schematics how everything gets back together? or something...
:homer:

speak to hkspower alex ;)

hes done it..

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine sometimes has a little trouble getting into gear. may be becuase the gearbox oil is too slippery and doesnt work well with the syncros? i read it somewhere, may even still have the info on my pc. mine also sometimes sticks in 3rd gear a bit. no crunching just kinda sticks!? its since i put in some of that molyslip treatment stuff, quietens the box down and makes the gearchanging a bit nicer but has a few strange side effects like the ones ive mentioned!

Don't know if this will help Alex

gearbox.jpg

Aga

Member +
thats what i had in mind, thanks dave.

dac69er i hope what you put in had no lead...what color was it? if it was black then its bad. our gearboxes dont like additives containing lead.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it had molybdenum or whatever it is in it. no lead as far as im aware. its good for all types of boxes inc ones with lsd and syncromesh. i have a spare box and mine was getting a little bit noisy and notchy so thought i have nothing to loose by trying it. it is better but it just seems to stick now and then. the getting into 1st gear has always been a problem since day 1 so i doubt thats anything to do with the additive i put in.