recommended oil

sx_turbo

Lifer
official oil is 10w30 semi synthetic.

most people tend to go for 10w40 or 10w50 fully synthetic.

i wouldnt go that thick for cold, i would recomend 5w40 fully synthetic my personal opinion.

at the end of the day its personal preference.

GTti

Member +
10w30 10w40 and 10w50 are exactly the same thickness on a cold start... you lot need an oil lesson.

Also fully synthetic oil has better friction properties than semi synthetic and is less prone to shear, so there's not much point in sticking with semi synthetic.

10w40 or 5w40 will be fine, the 40 grade will give decent protection at high temperatures as well as good cold start protection. The w value is the oils ability to flow when cold, its viscosity has been modified to be thinner.

The bigger the gap inbetween the first and second numbers the more viscosity modifiers are in the oil.

sx_turbo

Lifer
10w30 10w40 and 10w50 are exactly the same thickness on a cold start... you lot need an oil lesson.

i dont remember saying there cold start properties were different.

i said that 0w40 will prob be to thick when cold especially on very cold mornings. meaning that 0w40 is different to 10w40.

i said toyota recomend 10w30.

most people use 10w40

and you could use 10w50 for extreme temperatures as the 50 means the oil can withstand the high extreme temps of circuit racing.

i explained it better that time.

GTti

Member +
i said that 0w40 will prob be to thick when cold especially on very cold mornings. meaning that 0w40 is different to 10w40.

Yes and 0w40 is thinner when cold than 10w40. But the same at 100degrees. The quoted statement is wrong but the latter part is right, 10w50 will be thicker at 100degrees than 10w40.

Timmy

Member +
i have to agree that 0w is thinner cold and the higher the second number it holds it's the correct thickness to higher tempreture. Thats why race oil is like 0w100 but cost crap loads. Millers 10w60 fully synthetic reasonable price but tbh aslong as it's atleast 10w30 your alright than it is just down to how much you want to spend.

GTti

Member +
Aye I think you just read it wrong sx_turbo.

Racing oil is more like 15w50 , 15w60, 20w50 etc. Less viscosity modifiers (These burn up) in the oil as you don't need the cold start protection, but the quality of base oil even though it may be the same grade is far better. Thats why redline 15w50 will set you back almost £50.

There is a downside to thicker oil, if you have thick oil in a road car and it rarley operates at high temperatures then there will be more friction against engine components. Friction causes heat, heat causes damage.

Having said that, thicker oil can compensate for wear in older engines.

Dave.

Member +
very interesting read - thanks for that sx_turbo and GTti

on a side note, my boss at work filled his car up with tractor oil before he sold it and it cured (albeit temporarily) the noise of the engine (v unhealthy..)

Dave

Craig

Lifer
What is the conclusion to this then? When I spoke to Dave Burwash, he said Morris 10w40 Semi Synthtic.

sx_turbo

Lifer
any 10w40 fully synthetic/semi synthetic oil i think would be best, i personally use millers 10w40 fully synthetic, i use fully syn because it heat capabilities are better than semi syn.

oh and i used to have a rattly engine but since i used the millers oil it seems to have quitened it down somewhat.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
As long as your changing your oil every 3k miles or so it doesnt matter, i myself run 10w 40 morris semi synthetic and i dont have any problems, at the end of the day as many have said its up to you, but its better to use a cheaper oil and change more often than use a expensive one and leave in there for longer :gt-smilie: