removing hub studs and fitting longer ones ?

whiteglanzav

Member +
as above really guys whats involved with removing the standard hubstuds and fitting longer ones ?

is it a case of bashing them out and feeding the new ones through or do you have to remove the hubs and drill out the old ones ?

dark_knight

Member +
wheel stud removal

if you can lay your hands on a stud removal tool, that will hook onto the hub and has a flat face for pushing them out then this is the easiest way around it. if not, then as mentioned, bash them out. i'd recommend putting a nut on as you bash their heads in. this will protect the threads and give you a slightly bigger surface area to hit.

Rob H

Member +
make sure you get the studs with fine splines cos if you dont they will take some getting in!! I put phils in his with him on the ramp at the garage and it was hit and miss if it was going to stop on the ramp with me swinging the 10lb hammer at it lol If you pull em in with the nuts and a spacer at the same time as bashing there back doors in it make life a lot easier!

whiteglanzav

Member +
make sure you get the studs with fine splines cos if you dont they will take some getting in!! I put phils in his with him on the ramp at the garage and it was hit and miss if it was going to stop on the ramp with me swinging the 10lb hammer at it lol If you pull em in with the nuts and a spacer at the same time as bashing there back doors in it make life a lot easier!

cheers gorgeous

pig666eon

Member +
i just recently i used a hammer best and fastest tbh you have to have a steady hand tho you dont want to be damaging anything

after that i needed to pull the new one in all i used was two thick closed end spanners seat them like a cylinder and flush, then get your wheel nut and tighten it. the force generated will pull it into place.

thats just if you dont have the tools or dont want to spend the money, both give the same result in the end and wouldnt say it took anymore time than using the proper tools

i also done it on the car, there is only one gap the studs will will come out you will feel the spot at the rear side of the hub, make sre you have the one your hitting is lined up with that before you hit it and then just rotate it then for the other ones

hope this helps

weeJohn

Lifer
I wouldnt be hammering them out to be honest, that could put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings and they are £50 each.

If there is a cheap tool to get them out and in, thats what I would use mate.