Running Issues

Rory

Lifer
Folks.

Ive come across a few problems after the winter hibernation of the GT.
Over the winter its had a new PnP head and Speedvision Cams etc etc.

All fine and dandy until i fired it up, then the issues raised there head....

1. The thing will idle around 1600 rpm regardless of temperature of the engine.
I thought the idle control valve was the culprit, got a known working one and it helped slightly, not much though.
Any thoughts?

2. The bugger will not pull a decent vacume at idle either.
Instead of sitting around the usual -0.8, its sitting around -0.4 / 5
I tought of intake leaks but, if anything i would have thought it would have pulled more vacume?

3. The bugger is running rich as hell at idle.
I sold the Mines ECU and replaced it with the standard unit, which has got the EMU strapped to it.
Surely the map shouldnt be that far out at idle?
Ive replaced the lambda, but to no avail.

Ive by-passed the power steering vacume points, this is the last thing to convert back to try and eliminate things.

Oh the joys.
Any help is much appreciated, and rep awarded for giving me answers :D

Cheers
Rory

GT_Chris

Member +
mate mine on idle boost gauge vacums at -0.5 i aint that normal?

I had similar problem with high idle when i fitted a new engine, i changed idle control valve but it didnt really work, so i just adjusted the idle screw and its been ok since, maybe give that ago mate??

Last edited:

sx_turbo

Lifer
sounds like a mix of vac pipes and the ecu needing a remap, the mines prob shouldnt be that far out on idle, but i'm sure it dont help,

defo a vacume problem though as i had the same thing when i put my ported head on and took off all the air con vacume pipes.

Chris@CCM

Member +
vac leak dude what size of injectors dude il email u a map to wack on there for the mean time tune would be well out swaping ecus

Rory

Lifer
mate mine on idle boost gauge vacums at -0.5 i aint that normal?

I had similar problem with high idle when i fitted a new engine, i changed idle control valve but it didnt really work, so i just adjusted the idle screw and its been ok since, maybe give that ago mate??

have the idle adjustment shut right off, and it will still only idle at 1200 / 1300 rpm.

sounds like a mix of vac pipes and the ecu needing a remap, the mines prob shouldnt be that far out on idle, but i'm sure it dont help,

defo a vacume problem though as i had the same thing when i put my ported head on and took off all the air con vacume pipes.

Ive replaced all the vac lines with know silicone lines, and it still doesnt help. :(

vac leak dude what size of injectors dude il email u a map to wack on there for the mean time tune would be well out swaping ecus

Running Sard 550cc injectors buddy.
If there were a leak in either the inlet mani gasket or even an injector, would this cause this also?
Im presuming it would.

Cheers for the replys so far lads.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
may be a silly thing but happend to me...

gas cable... there is a nut and i had high idle.. just adjusted the nut back and vuala...

have the idle adjustment shut right off, and it will still only idle at 1200 / 1300 rpm.

Ive replaced all the vac lines with know silicone lines, and it still doesnt help. :(

Running Sard 550cc injectors buddy.
If there were a leak in either the inlet mani gasket or even an injector, would this cause this also?
Im presuming it would.

Cheers for the replys so far lads.

yes id say so 2
and yes he dose run the greddy sensor and the oem one 2

Rory

Lifer
The throttle body ones?
Thjere set up as standard, only thing ive done it by pass the throttle body coolant lines.

I can get pics later on when i finsh work though.

Chris@CCM

Member +
il email u a map later dude should have somthing to get her up and running but i would not be driving her on much till its checked out

This happened to me before it
wrecked my head turned out to be
a tiny tear in the vac pipe going
from the boost gauge to the back
of the inlet mani. It got tore where
the pipe goes through the bulk
head. The stink of petrol from out the
exhaust was unreal cause of
it.

weakboy2

Member +
the high idle will be the main cause of low vacuum me thinks, i think where you have bypassed the coolant pipes on throttle body is where you problem is, i am sure there is like a wax element jobby in there, as i fitted a water pump to a friends gt and no water was getting round that part, took the pipe off and bled the water through and the idle instantly stabilised.

Rory

Lifer
it.

Something i never checked Corey, will look into this later.

the high idle will be the main cause of low vacuum me thinks, i think where you have bypassed the coolant pipes on throttle body is where you problem is, i am sure there is like a wax element jobby in there, as i fitted a water pump to a friends gt and no water was getting round that part, took the pipe off and bled the water through and the idle instantly stabilised.

This i didnt now either, mabey worth while hooking it back up, and see if this helps?
Pain in the arse more than anything! :haha:

madman

Member +
it.

this is exactly what happened me after doing the head aswel drove me mental for ages

Rory

Lifer
Update-

Changed the hose from the gauge to the inlet, no diffirence.
Ive changed all hosing around the inlet manifold now, and it will idle around, 1100 / 1200 rpm.

It is still not pulling a vacume that it should. Even double checked my gauge against the EMU.

Feck it, ill wait on my new inlet before tearing the thing to bits again, hopefully its an easy sort as its doing my box in.... :D

Rory

Lifer
This was the problem.
I had Mark @ CMB Autos on the phone saying this aswell.

All is good now, and im a happy chappy again

Cheers folks for all the help.
Rep will be done.