RWD Gearbox that fits a 5e ?

whiteglanzav

Member +
so im getting rid of the majority of parts off of my starlet, but soooo much work and money went into the engine and turbo kit and i dont really want to sell them. So me and my dad were thinking of getting a kit car and mounting my engine and turbokit into it, for like a 300 bhp kit car - jap powered of course haha

so me needs a gearbox that can go from an "e series" engine that had rwd ? or an appropriately compattible one that i could get some kind of spacer and clutch bearing fork made for ?

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
ive heard of some guys in ireland making adapter plates up for them to fit rwd cars but i think it would be alot of work.

DSC02133.jpg

this kp uses a W55 supra box with custom bell housing, and shortened prop shaft, i dont think theres any direct fit rwd boxes.

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Would a KP series box not fit? Would probably need a custom bellhousing. Although the gear ratios of the KP box may not be good enough for a 5e.

Ben89

Lifer
Im sure I heard of someone that mates a 4e to an mx5 box with an adaptor plate, worked quite well apparently. There isn't an awful lot of work getting an adaptor plate made up really!

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
other things to think about if you wanted to use a 4e or 5e is that both the inlet and distributor will be on the back side of the engine in rwd layout so this could cause fitment issuse with bulkheads ect, depending on how much room there is in the kit car. There can be sorted out with modifying the throttle body onto the other side of the inlet and using a coilpack instead but its all more work and cash

whiteglanzav

Member +
the engine mounts would be custom made so that it sat wherever it needed to but coilpacks wouldnt be that hard to sort with a diffrent ecu

aidan

Member +
couldnt imagine it would be too hard to make a bell housing adaptor now a fella that mated a nissan patrol gearbox with a 5l v12 bmw engine for a drift car

weeJohn

Lifer
The MX5 box can be done with an adaptor plate, and the newer Locost type chassis are using MX5 wishbones and rear diff set ups as well which are superior to the older Ford running gear set ups used in the older chassis versions.

I dont know what happens with a speedo set up but using the Mazda and Toyota systems together but, I dont think the guy ever got it finished so I dont know if they are compatable together. The 4EFTE ECU will need a speed signal like the one it gets from the EP speedo or you will get a fault light over 3500 rpm.