Selling on TGTT

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
I am a relatively new member on here and I tried to sell an item on here this morning.

The thread didn't send and I saw that I need 50 posts to be able to sell something.

I just feel this is a bad idea as it would cause people to spam threads to get their post count up. I have also paid for full membership which as a forum you were willing to accept my money but I still do not have full access to the website.

I feel that full membership should bypass the 50 posts needed to be able to sell.

I hope I'm not on my own with this.

Cheers

Derek

Lifer
Hows things dude, yea you will need 50 posts to sell, the rule is in place to stop people joining purely to sell items, give a bit of input and get involved with the forum. Also its done with all members in mind as we have had some members ripped off by dodgy sellers in the past, As for people that spam to get to 50 posts we moniter all threads and any member seen spamming will be put back to zero posts. Ill get the admin to take a look at your membership get,your access sorted.

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Yeah I understand why it's in place I just feel that if I'm willing to put money into the club. That I should be able to sell.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say?

Cheers

So say im a scammer and I payed a tenner membership and then im granted permission to sell as an example an ecu for 500, somebody then sends me 500 and I just keep the money. A tenner well spent that. Then just register a new account for a tenner and do the same again. Its not e-bay dude in fairness the rules are there to try and prevent scammer.s

pig666eon

Member +
my understanding of it the for sale section is tool only available for active members and shouldnt be used for selling or else a traders spot is needed

as said its a car community here not ebay, but if the members need to do some small sales then the option is there for them

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Yeah I do understand that. And can see your point.

I'm around ten posts away from being able to sell. And I found myself looking for threads that I have an opinion on lol.

I'm not very technical and can't get my posts up helping people out. I use forums for help myself and to buy and sell car specific items.

I totally understand about the scamming etc. But surely there are better ways to stop scammers. For example paying by paypal only. Never as a gift. A feed back system which I see tgtt has.

The example you gave of selling an ecu for 500 quid. Surely spreading out 50 posts to get myself 500 quid would be an easy enough job??

It just doesn't seem a practical idea in my opinion

Thanks

danb87

South East England Area Rep
how people pay is up too the buyers/sellers even with paypal you can get scammed. i m ust have seen about 200 of these threads by new members. each telling them why.

just read up on the rules, the mods are pretty good an any post count bumping will be reset.

i know its impossible too stop scammers 100% but its a way of preventing it happening all the time. an ive not seen as many recently as i did when i first joined.

dan

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Its obviously not an easy job because if it was would you have made this thread lol?

No but I'm not a scammer. I don't want to go looking for threads to post on just so I can advertise lol.

And as for paypal, I feel it is scam proof in buying but not selling as most times paypal side with the buyer. But you pay the fees for the protection so surely it's more reliable than 50 posts lol.

I understand all of the opinions posted though.

gv1.3

Admin
Hi, I wholeheartedly agree that there are better ways of doing it such as protecting yourself using a verified paypal user and not sending money as a gift etc but they are not things we can enforce. In reality the options available to us are limited and so we have put some basic rules in place that work for the majority. As stated by you above, you have had to search for threads you are interested in and then contributed your opinion - it looks like our system has worked to a degree ;)

This is an information sharing community and we are glad to have you and all of our members onboard. The classifieds section should be viewed as a service provided to our contributing members not as a ebay of Toyota parts :) You are a few posts away from being able to sell and your interaction on the site goes some way to showing potential buyers that you are not just here to flog crap.

Ultimately we accept no responsibility for transactions between buyers and sellers so keep that in mind.

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Lol. Fair enough. I do agree with your points. Just wondered if there was any way of changing it.

The answer is no so I'll just have to wait lol.

Thanks though.

corofin12345

Member +
its 100posts over on toc-irl cause we used to get alot of people joining just to sell parts and use the site as their own personal free donedeal site... its a great idea having a post count cause as everyone has said, it stops people using it just to sell parts

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
@ BigMoylan: i think from this thread alone, you've gathered anough posts already to warrant you selling.. :) lol

:) lol.

its 100posts over on toc-irl cause we used to get alot of people joining just to sell parts and use the site as their own personal free donedeal site... its a great idea having a post count cause as everyone has said, it stops people using it just to sell parts

Like I said above I understand why it's in place to stop scammers. And know I realise now that the post count is quite important.

I prefer to buy and sell on forums because of the community and without posters there wouldn't be a community.

Thanks all.