Should I be worried?! Too late, I've laid an egg!

riko666

Member +
Right, well this is an awkward noise (among the hundreds of others in the car) that I've only noticed today - pretty much (I previously though it happened only in 3rd gear and on full throttle), when I accelerate briskily and the car comes on boost, (primarily in 2nd and 3rd gears), I can hear what seems to be a sort of "screeching" sound which appears to be coming from the ECU area.

Now, that would seem weird as an ECU can't really emit sounds (I was hoping it'd be some sort of knock link but to be fair, if that's quiet, then Tom's want people's engines to blow up...), my flatmate seems to think it comes at a specific speed but it happens when accelerating up through the aformentioned gears. I have suspects that my CV joints may be going (a lot of grumbling when the steering is on full lock, either way). But yeah, WHAT THE HELL IS IT?! It's very hard to say "Ah, well it's blatently X doing an Y whenever you SDFSDJ, oh rather!" from what I've described, but, it's as accurate a description as I can give. If it's suspension related I can tolerate it...if it's engine, I will die...or someone will....either way, there'll be death...

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I thought you didn't drink riko but judging by this post I'd say otherwise!:p

I can't really help other than by saying my car sometimes makes a funny screeching noise when coming on boost too, I wasn't sure whether it might be the turbo starting to complain about running at 15psi?!

riko666

Member +
haha - I had ONE cocktail thank you very much, you shtarting a fight?! Who calling a drucking funk, come herwa ya bastid!

Ahem, yes, anyway (no I don't drink, just very occasionally, like tonight :p) yeah, I did think it could be the turbo - Boost creep is generally a sign of bad things to come...considering I have the stock cat & manifold on. Bah! Just went for a quick drive to the ATM and it seems the "screech" (maybe my car is screaming in pain? "Aaaaaargh, just kill me!") comes on towards the upper revs (for me at least - around 4000rpm) in 2nd & 3rd gears...I obviously don't want to try in 4th as these are public roads and the neighbours give us enough evil stares as it is

Wow, I do waffle iron a lot....bloody espresso based cocktails...

ep_chen

Member +
lol. so do you still think that the ecu is making noises or is it just the drinks riko? lol. could it be sound from engine but seeps in from the few wiring holes in the firewall that made you hear that it is from the ecu position?

riko666

Member +
Well I came to my senses and thought "well I doubt ECU's have speakers in them..."...but I don't know, I've described it as best as I can! Reason I said ECU is that it seems to come on at a Specific point, i.e. Electronically induced, rather than mechanically where the noise would build up. Bah!

Hoping it is mechanical - I'm trying to figure out what I could relate the noise to...sort of like when you have squeaky brakes?

riko666

Member +
Anyone able to offer any further insight? I'm hoping it could be the CV joints...as I said, I have had a grumbling on full lock (at low speeds obviously) from either wheel - the car does suddenly pull to a direction when on full lock, and the wheel feels like it's falling over itself...if you know what I mean (as if it were loose and trying to fall off), but only on full lock. Even heard a "Clunk, clunk, clunk" when the car rolled backwards on full lock

and yet again, this is worth another BAH!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
my mates CB60 charade used to squeel on boost. we couldn't figure it out for ages, turned out to be an air leak on the plenum, causing it to squeel like a pig on boost, quite amusing :D :D

riko666

Member +
would this manifest itself as a boost lost when accelerating?

Don't know if it's a placebo effect, but haven't noticed the Boost Creep tonight

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
possibly, although in our case the loss was negligable.

check the rubber/silicon piping between your hard piping for slices, double check your jubilee clips etc.

riko666

Member +
will do - I know they'll leak soon regardless of the fact I've mostly used T-bolt clamps just cause I've had to have the connectors on at very strange angles just to have the FMIC fit with the piping

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
would this manifest itself as a boost lost when accelerating?

Don't know if it's a placebo effect, but haven't noticed the Boost Creep tonight

no it wouldnt riko, it would just make noise.. personally i think u have a leak... & a nice bar tab lol :p :rockon: haha!!

god im fucking hungover :(

keirz

Member +
mine does the same mate in my glanza. usually starts about 5000 revs and comes from near the air box. i think it may be insufficient air flow, in my case cause by still having standard filter and upped boost. i could be really wrong with this though as i read it on the internet!

goldenvtr

Member +
Maybe your diff is screwed if you leaping around when cornering but also c.v joint causes that.. if you dont get it sorted by before i come over ill have a look.

riko666

Member +
Maybe your diff is screwed if you leaping around when cornering but also c.v joint causes that.. if you dont get it sorted by before i come over ill have a look.

I thought that Dan, I remember when I did an Autotest a guy in a Clio blew up his diff, and well...it sounded the same. Btw, you coming round today/tomorrow?

Keirz - well, it's a thought, air filter is "kind of" in that area...it's down by the bottom of the radiator, but still on Passenger side - the thing is I have the intake pipe on, but it isn't actually clamped onto the Turbo Inlet

riko666

Member +
bah! I really wanted to get all the stuff done :( Meh, shall be content with the Coilovers/Brake at least (as soon as my lazy flatmates wake up). Next week will only be between Wednesday - Friday, need to show up at Bluewater or Ricky will give me a spanking...actually...I think I'll ditch it just for that :p

riko666

Member +
yessir - and BAH! Don't have petrol...or money for petrol...:( Why you need to go to Scotland anyway?

Oh, and on the diff front - surely if it were on it's way out it'd start working as an Open diff? There is some slack before the wheel rotates, but it still does...the slack is expected of the Optional Viscous LSD's. I shall probably take out my intercooler piping today (kill 2 birds with one grenade...stones aren't fun) to heatwrap/heat reflective tape wrap it, and then put it back on to see if the noise disappears...I can but hope.