Swapping my 5efe engine for a 5efhe engine

Sal2808

Fresh Recruit
Hi there I have a 1995 corolla with the 5efe engine in it and am looking forward to swapping a 5efhe engine in

what will I need for the swap
Will the wiring be the same?

i can't speak on the wiring, but which version of the 5efhe engine are you planning to use? there is one with an acis intake manifold which i suspect would rely on a specific ecu, wiring and accessories to operate properly

Last edited:

Sal2808

Fresh Recruit
I’m looking into swapping in the acis model 5efhe
Will I need the ecu and wiring or will it be the same

SKINY

Lifer
The acis on the celicas hits at 5200rpm and is ECU controlled so I'd say the same applies here, I'd imagine the ECU part numbers to be different

SKINY

Lifer
You could always just strip the acis unit out and use it open all the time, have seen that done too

You could always just strip the acis unit out and use it open all the time, have seen that done too
i'd suggest not to do this. It will notably affect performance/drivability, especially on the modestly powered naturally aspirated 5e engine.
if the member is not going to set up the acis manifold properly, then maybe look to use the existing (non-acis) 5e intake manifold on the 5efhe engine

I’m looking into swapping in the acis model 5efhe
Will I need the ecu and wiring or will it be the same
again, this is not an area i have a lot of knowledge on.
but i'd guess it would be better to get the oem 5efhe ecu, 5efhe wiring loom and 5efhe ancillaries (a few other pieces attach to the acis manifold)...to let the acis function properly

SKINY

Lifer
i'd suggest not to do this. It will notably affect performance/drivability, especially on the modestly powered naturally aspirated 5e engine.
if the member is not going to set up the acis manifold properly, then maybe look to use the existing (non-acis) 5e intake manifold on the 5efhe engine
Has it been tried tho ? Maybe a lesser powered engine would have a different effect. Done a few over the years when the system failed, just removed the valves and used the unit as a spacer then

dac69er

Super Moderator
you could easily control the acis outside of the the ecu, but im not sure how much the ecu mapping changes to compensate? im sure it would work, but you would probably gain so little, if anything that it wouldnt be worth the bother.
may be worth some investigation to see if all the wiring is there for the acis already? it may just be plug and play with the correct ecu if you are lucky.

Has it been tried tho ? Maybe a lesser powered engine would have a different effect. Done a few over the years when the system failed, just removed the valves and used the unit as a spacer then

unfortunately i can only speak on seeing the acis on turbo 4e/5e set ups. From my observations over the years if you only have the long runners open, the power and torque dips sharply over a certain rpm, usually in the mid/top end ......if you have both the long and short runners open all the time, then you lose some low/mid range power/torque, until you get close to the mid/top end

ideally you need a dyno and something to activate the short runners properly---oem 5efhe ecu, piggyback, rpm switch

based on past discussions, it was said that the acis manifold is activated around 3800/4200/5000 rpm on the n/a 5efhe engine based on engine load etc...i don't know for sure,,,someone with a factory spec sera/paseo/cynos with the actual acis 5efhe engine would need to confirm that

the below link and dyno charts explain and shows what i'm talking about on the 4age tvis manifold...similar concept with the acis manifold

http://websworld.org/marcel/tech/tvis/tvis.html
https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/commu...ntake-on-4e-fte-what-gains-can-it-bring.1981/
https://www.tercelreference.com/articles/acis_activation_options/acis_activation_options.html
https://www.tercelreference.com/articles/acis_intake_installation/acis_intake_installation.html

Reactions: Jay

Skalabala

Member +
The question is why do you want to do the swap?
Is it to gain power or to have a working car?

Working car? Then you can just use the parts from the 5EFE needed like the intake with injectors etc.
Power gain? Then it is best to use a stand alone ECU.