Two problems. ARP and valve stem seals.

Evo

Member +
Ok i'm having my engine built at the mo and they had to take the valve stems out to regrind the spring seats so they sit lower. In doing this they had to break a few of the valve stem seals so i just need a set of valve stem seals asap. I'll pop down to Toyota tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone has a set spare that they may not have used when they bought a head rebuild kit?

Secondly I have a set of ARP head bolt and one of them is stretching when you torque it down. The engine builder said obviously it's very strange for an ARP bolt to be faulty but he thinks it may not have been heat treated properly. I have a brand new set of standard bolts which i might get them to chuck in for the time being unless someone knows anywhere in the UK i can go to get this bolt swapped or the box swapped?

Thanks

Christian

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
i dont understand how he knows it's stretching to much, you cant see the bolt when tightening it.

unless hes pre torquing every bolt, measuring before & after torqeing id like to know that too .. seems very strange..

kon

350ep70gr

Member +
i dont understand how he knows it's stretching to much, you cant see the bolt when tightening it.

unless hes pre torquing every bolt, measuring before & after torqeing id like to know that too .. seems very strange..

kon

I belive that he means his enginear torque the bolt but the bolt dont come to a stop and make the sound to the wrench. Just keep turning like it is plastic and expands.
I had the same with an ARP 2000 rod bolt and i was torque it and the bolt wasnt stoping. (it come out at about 1.5 mm longer :eek: as i had mesure them before hand.) Then i replace the all set to be safe.

Chris

Evo

Member +
Yeah that's pretty much what he means, when he's tightening the rest they feel sold and strong but he gets to this one and it feels different and as if it's twisting.

rmsnoel

Member +
God damn toyota valve stem oil seals. Bout £70 a set but the rubber is so so soft to speed you up order two spare, individually there bout £3. Piece of mind for £6 cant beat it

I had to re rebuild cause Robek the work experience kid bust the very last one but left it on, instead of waiting 2days for a £3 replacement. Meaning I had to get another h/gasket and the £3 seal.

sx_turbo

Lifer
God damn toyota valve stem oil seals. Bout £70 a set but the rubber is so so soft to speed you up order two spare, individually there bout £3. Piece of mind for £6 cant beat it

I had to re rebuild cause Robek the work experience kid bust the very last one but left it on, instead of waiting 2days for a £3 replacement. Meaning I had to get another h/gasket and the £3 seal.

you can get them from a motor factors for £20 if that.

also best being replaced as a set.

rmsnoel

Member +
I got a set £40 from a motorfactors, slighty harder rubber than oem so less likely to bust during fitting, but Id wasnt happy about the fit around the valve stem