URGENT **Steering rack wanted**

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Alright people need a steering rack for a 1994 EP82 GT..... and its urgent....

Preferably second hand as im forking out enough to fix my car already.... need it as cheap as possible and in very good working order (obviously)

Maybe JAY can help as he has spares floating about all over the place........

Not sure how much they are brand new but heard they are between £150-£400......

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks alot guys...

Daniel

Dave.

Member +
that is shit mate :( They're like gold dust too, old cars that you can take bits like that from :( - have you tried local breakers (even a uk n/a steering rack?)

riko666

Member +
Dan, if you don't find anything now I'll be glad to sell you mine, but I need to find a manual rack first

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thanks for your help guys.....

@rags, PM read, thanks mate....

@sx_turbo.... ive heard from a couple of people now that most starlets do share the same rack.... this hasnt actually been confirmed yet though.....

@Rikko(enrico).... cheerz for that... so you have one for an ep82 GT? you converting from power steering to manual?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
that is shit mate :( They're like gold dust too, old cars that you can take bits like that from :( - have you tried local breakers (even a uk n/a steering rack?)

yeah its not good dave :(

this bump has caused some good damage, soo looking for some cheap parts as its still costing a hell of alot even with cheap parts.....

i know i'll be watching even harder for those b*****d bumps now i know the pottential damage caused.....!

mechanic reckons only way rack could of been damaged was as the wheel hit the floor the pressure from it put a slight bend in the rack...... the engine hasn't moved an inch, so makes sense...

sx_turbo

Lifer
is it definately the rack thats bent or is it just a rack end?

the rod that comes out the side of the rack? as these can be replaced.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
is it definately the rack thats bent or is it just a rack end?

the rod that comes out the side of the rack? as these can be replaced.

yeah thats the problem its not the rack end its the actual rack..... mechanic thats diagnosed the problem as such, ive been using for over 4 years now and hes a friend of the family too..... he knows his stuff for sure......

would of been alot easier and cheaper if was the rack end aie :(

Dan3SGTE

Member +
@Rickyt... yeah already PM's him, hes says he might have one that fits...... waiting on his reply.... im asking everyone and see what prices are about and see who will give for the cheapest really......

@ashyGT..... may sound stupid but ive never heard from them? were abouts are they based and do they deliver....?

riko666

Member +
Indeed, I'm going to be getting rid of the pump soon, but I really need to sort my alignment out sharpish, panhard rod is loose making the rear end very wayward, track rod ends (i believe) are worn, making the steering very vague, the anti-roll bar bushes are worn, creaking all the time, etc...

But hopefully the steering rack should just slot in...but don't hold your breath, the manual racks are hard to find :(

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Indeed, I'm going to be getting rid of the pump soon, but I really need to sort my alignment out sharpish, panhard rod is loose making the rear end very wayward, track rod ends (i believe) are worn, making the steering very vague, the anti-roll bar bushes are worn, creaking all the time, etc...

But hopefully the steering rack should just slot in...but don't hold your breath, the manual racks are hard to find :(

bloowdy ell mate..... your luck isnt that great... is this on your cynos then yes im presuming? so your not entirely sure it will fit a 94 GT...?

can i ask why your converting? less weight? or just preference...?

riko666

Member +
I know man, now I've got the dragging brakes issue to contend with as well...

But yeah, it's from my Cynos, so what I would do in the scenario that you get it - get it fitted, and until you're sure it'll fit, then you can pay me for it...don't want to get you to pay if it won't fit! But it should do, almost certain it will.

As for converting - save weight, restore some steering feel, restore some steering accuracy, reduce power loss. Standard steering is poo...oh, and I could do with the exercise :p