water temps

starbogt

Member +
Got a small issue with my water temps I changed the thermostat and put a larger civic racing raditor on my car about 3 or 4 months ago and since then the car takes longer to heat up the temp gauge never reads more than a quarter of the way up and the heaters are crap when left to tick over they go cold and only ever go luke warm... Think its a dodgey thermostat or an air lock before I start farting about again....?

Cheers

Andrew

EP82

Member +
Why not try taking the thermostat out and running the car to normal temps and see if the heater gets warmer?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
without a stat would overheat bad! wouldnt wana risk it.

Im sure because its a larger rad will take a little longer to heat up as there is more water capacity but should eventually go half way at least..... You could be what they call "over cooling"

PS.... Are you using an after market radiator cap? As this could also be the effect due to its higher boiling point....

PPS, the heater matrix not heating up, that could be another problem...

Last edited:

EP82

Member +
I thought if you ran without a thermostat the water would be running round the engine and rad from the start before it heats up? therfore if anything it would be cooler rather than hotter?

350ep70gr

Member +
without a stat would overheat bad! wouldnt wana risk it.

Im sure because its a larger rad will take a little longer to heat up as there is more water capacity but should eventually go half way at least..... You could be what they call "over cooling"

PS.... Are you using an after market radiator cap? As this could also be the effect due to its higher boiling point....

PPS, the heater matrix not heating up, that could be another problem...
without a thermostat the water will not overheat. The circulation will be free all the time and will be up till your fun is on.This when you stand still.When you drive more likely face over cooling problems and engine runs cool all the time (not a good thing though).An after market radiator cap will only rise the boilling point of the coollant a few degrees.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
without a thermostat the water will not overheat. The circulation will be free all the time and will be up till your fun is on.This when you stand still.When you drive more likely face over cooling problems and engine runs cool all the time (not a good thing though).An after market radiator cap will only rise the boilling point of the coollant a few degrees.

EDIT: WIthout the stat the tempreture will not be tame, not something i would want to risk...

As for the radiator cap, ive seen this problem twice now, and on a road car changing back to a factory pressure cap has worked and done the trick.

Last edited:

Aidan-G

Member +
EDIT: WIthout the stat the tempreture will not be tame

As for the radiator cap, ive seen this problem twice now, and on a road car changing back to a factory pressure cap has worked and done the trick.

the fan will still work..

im having the same prob,with the same rad,i have a sard stat and ive ordered a standard oneto put back in..

Dan3SGTE

Member +
the fan will still work..

im having the same prob,with the same rad,i have a sard stat and ive ordered a standard oneto put back in..

thats why i edited my post, its without the water temp sensor the fan will not work as there would be no indication over over heating..... Not the stat

350ep70gr

Member +
Got a small issue with my water temps I changed the thermostat and put a larger civic racing raditor on my car about 3 or 4 months ago and since then the car takes longer to heat up the temp gauge never reads more than a quarter of the way up and the heaters are crap when left to tick over they go cold and only ever go luke warm... Think its a dodgey thermostat or an air lock before I start farting about again....?

Cheers

Andrew
I had a similar problem in my old ep70 and it was proven that the heater was blocked inside over the years.When i replace it i start take of my jacket in the car.;) If you remove the thermo you can easily find if the thermo is bad. If you wan to check the heter matrix if it is blocked you can disconect the pipes that are attached to it and check the flow alone or remove the termo start the car wait till the radiator fun is on and at this time check if it blows any hot. Also it is a valve (control the flow at least at ep70) in line the heater matrix and can give some problems .Hope it helps

Last edited:

silverGtstu.

Member +
?

running no thermostat is like running an open oversized stat, there will be constant circulation of coolant causing the rad to cool when not at operating temp running a cold engine not good at all, sound like either a over efficient cooling system or thermostat or airblockage, if your heaters are set to cold on idle with the car stationary does the temp climb up eventually. if so then prob thermostat. if not and has no effect on enging temp moving or not then possible air lock, if your heaters were fine before wont be your matrix highly unlikely antway. hope this helps dudes.:)

Aidan-G

Member +
thats why i edited my post, its without the water temp sensor the fan will not work as there would be no indication over over heating..... Not the stat

yeah you just edited it while i was posting,lol

i took my sard stat out yesterday and put it into hot water,it seemed to open and close asusual but im stil goin to put in a standard stat..it opens at 68degress,and the standar is 82(i think)

i personaly think my car runs like shit because its cold,its always reving itself when you come up to traffic,and when i say take the throttle of in second and let the revs fall itself the car judders!!!:mad:i reckon its overfueling because of it causeing it to judder!

what do yous think?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Why not try taking the thermostat out and running the car to normal temps and see if the heater gets warmer?

i see what you mean, for a quick temp... the thrermostat keeps the tempreture settled.... wouldnt be good at all driving all the time without one.... EDIT; say you pull up at the lights on stand still? Will the car not overheat? it with boil surely... Motorway may be fine with constant supply of cool air.....

I may be getting confused here.

Last edited:

silverGtstu.

Member +
lol

i get the same problem, with juddering etc, my guage reads just under half way and heaters take ages to work and there not exactly hot, changed my stat 1yr ago was cured for like 8months so may try the stat again its a cheap repair. must get bunged up easily then fail once its sticky.

350ep70gr

Member +
yeah you just edited it while i was posting,lol

i took my sard stat out yesterday and put it into hot water,it seemed to open and close asusual but im stil goin to put in a standard stat..it opens at 68degress,and the standar is 82(i think)

i personaly think my car runs like shit because its cold,its always reving itself when you come up to traffic,and when i say take the throttle of in second and let the revs fall itself the car judders!!!:mad:i reckon its overfueling because of it causeing it to judder!

what do yous think?
Could be possible with the standard ecu not sure! But with a standalone you will be able to adjust this enrichment.Low temp thermo jop is to run cooler engine and cooller chambers and reduce det and high temps.

Aidan-G

Member +
Could be possible with the standard ecu not sure! But with a standalone you will be able to adjust this enrichment.Low temp thermo jop is to run cooler engine and cooller chambers and reduce det and high temps.

i have a standard ecu,thats what im thinking,ecu still thinks the car is cold and is pumping too much petrol into the engine,the sard low themp thermo is going to be binned!lol

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Mine never goes over a quarter of the way up. Mainly always bang on the cold line or under.

It goes up in the summer if im sitting in traffic, thats about it.

Is it meant to always be cold??

Sorry to hijack :homer:

350ep70gr

Member +
i see what you mean, for a quick temp... the thrermostat keeps the tempreture settled.... wouldnt be good at all driving all the time without one.... EDIT; say you pull up at the lights on stand still? Will the car not overheat? it with boil surely... Motorway may be fine with constant supply of cool air.....

I may be getting confused here.
I dont think will overheat mate. Can you explain why? Will overheat only if your fun is not suitable or not working at all.

Big_Daddy

Member +
The car is designed to run @ 90 degress, any thing under the ecu will cause it to run rich till it warms to 90.

I personally think if you want better cooling upgrade the rad/fan.

Rory

Lifer
Running without a stat will in turn reduce your MPG as it will run on the automatic choke all the time.
Also your oil temp will not come up to temp, therefor causing damage to your engine in the long run.

If you are experianceing the temp being ow, it will either be an air lock or a faulty thermostat (sticking open)
Try bleeding the system 1st, by having the heater set on hot in the car with the blowers off.
Leave the rad cap off to let any air out.

If this dosnt work, the change the thermostat. Easy and cheap to replace.

Dan, running without a thermostat will let the car run to cold, it will NOT overheat.
Only reason for a car to overheat wuld be the fan not to work, or internal damage to the engine, ie H/Gasket or Waterpump..

As for low temp thermostats, there a waste of time and pointless, even for track work.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
I dont think will overheat mate. Can you explain why? Will overheat only if your fun is not suitable or not working at all.

well ive had 2 fault thermos when i was running the 4e set and both times were was making my engine overheat. it wouldnt overheat driving normal but only when sitting on the spot for more then 2-3 minutes and also when driving hard i.e putting your foot down for a short period of time.......