What alarm?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Well my car arrives back on the 18th (yay!) and the first think it's gonna need is a good alarm/immobiliser. Ideally I want one that operates the central locking (I don't have a keyfob with mine), not fussed about a turbo timer as the car has one. So what do you guys recommend and where can I get one fitted?

Cheers for your help peeps.
Hutch.

Dave.

Member +
I've just had a 480XV viper pager alarm fitted (£400 from GAP security, including fitting at my house - I don't let her out of my sight lol)..

Does everything, locks/opens doors, door sensors, bonnet sensors, boot sensors, interior motion sensors and tilt sensors too (jacking cars up to steal the wheels can be detected). It also pages the FOB (two way communications) to alert you to any trouble, within a mile of the vehicle. Can tell you what doors or if the bonnet/boot is open, if the interior sensors are picking anything up and if the ignition is being tried too!

Well recommended, although I've had a few niggles with the fitment (*edit* not posting these details on second thoughts lol *edit*), I'd say thats just pot luck... They have an engineer coming out asap to fix it.

Dave

Last edited:

Elaine

Lifer
I have a AutoWatch alarm on mine. Its great does everything and works with my trubo timer.

Not sure on price but I dont think there a huge amount. My mate has the same one on his Supra :D

E :)

Dave.

Member +
Sounds good to me Dave, do GAP security fit nationwide?

Sure do Hutch, barter with them and get it as cheap as possible, then hit them with the TGTT.com 10% off offer :D. Turbo Timer still works too, although with ALL thatcham approved alarms, the timer just runs (As though the keys are in) and you can't arm the alarm until its finished timing (i lock with the keys, then the auto immobilisation will kick in anyway after its cut out from the timer) Then arm the alarm later (from inside the house/whatever)

If you get the turbo timer add on (integrated to the alarm), its £150 and its a fixed time of 30 seconds - not great

Dave

Last edited:

Dave.

Member +
So I won't be able to arm my alarm with the turbo timer running? What a pain in the arse.

correct indeed, BUT, no thatcham alarm allows you too. If it did, it wouldn't be thatcham certificated, therefore not affecting insurance or coming with a certificate of fitting...

Dave.

Member +
If you use you're own turbo timer, you can't arm it until its timed out.

Built in turbo timer is £150 (Extra! :( ), and it only allows a FIXED 30 seconds (because of the thatcham guidelines) - pretty gash for the money :(

Dave

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ah right, cheers Ricky.

Dave that is a bit pants but why have a turbo timer if you have to sit with your car before arming the alarm? Kinda defeats the object.

Dave.

Member +
uhm, every thatcham approved alarm works like that :p

If you disable that somehow, the car wouldn't be immobilised lol, you wouldn't get a certificate and if you did it after you got the certificate (through insurance) that would be invalid should they find out :(

Its the only way thatcham allow it.

I get out my car and leave it locked, once the ignition is off for 30 seconds its fully immobilised anyway (Automatically) and i just arm it from in the house :p

OR, just drive the car off boost for the last 5 mins of you're journey and avoid using the TT at all lol, I usually stick to that routine :D

DAve

viper 5900.....excellent........works with timer, etc

and the reciver can reciever signal from pretty far...plus a lot of other features u may not even need....lol

Dave.

Member +
The Viper 5900 is the same as the 480xv, but comes with features which aren't thatcham approved (resulting in it having no thatcham approval), which means you don't get thatcham security certificate, or at least a valid one :p

Dave

white-ep82

Member +
who?

you cant go wrong with the toad ai606, although relatively basic to the top of the range cliffords, its a very good alarm, and more reliable than cliffords

this man is spot on!

cannot fault my toad ai606, great bit of kit, would use anything else now!