Where do I stand??? N81 AHD

EP82

Member +
HI,

I sold my car last year to some guys from west yorkshire claiming to be motor vehicle traders, They filled out the traders section of the V5 and said all they need to do is hand it in and I didnt need to do anything.

Today I received a letter saying my car has neither been registered as sorn or taxed and that I owe the dvla money (money I dont have).

The car is not insured (checked on www.askmid.com) not taxed and more than likley registered in my name. I recently saw the car for sale on pistonheads for £3,700 but it has sinse been removed (I think it was in shipley) What can I do?

Do I still own the car? how do I contact the new owners? Where do I stand?

Cheers guys....

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
As far as I'm aware you ALWAYS need to fill in the left side of the form. If in doubt, fill it out!

I had a dealer take a car from me and I filled it out and sent it off as normal, I got a letter from the DVLA notifying me that the car had been transferred.

As far as I'm aware you ALWAYS need to fill in the left side of the form. If in doubt, fill it out!

I had a dealer take a car from me and I filled it out and sent it off as normal, I got a letter from the DVLA notifying me that the car had been transferred.

correct iv always sent it away trader or not

EP82

Member +
Thats the thing though, he told me as he was a trader I didnt need to do anything and that it would all be done his end.

Does this mean legally the car still belongs to me??

Starlet_Sam

Thats the thing though, he told me as he was a trader I didnt need to do anything and that it would all be done his end.

Does this mean legally the car still belongs to me??

No, being the registered keeper does not make you the owner.

Don't trust car dealers (sorry Mark!)!

Starlet_Sam

what does make you the owner then? x

As Mark says, something that proves you paid for it.

For example, I know of a situation where a girl couldn't get car finance but her boyfriends Dad could, so he was paying it off for her but the car was registered to her. The couple split up and she refused to return the car or pay for it, he had it reposessed as he could prove he was paying.

As Mark says, something that proves you paid for it.

For example, I know of a situation where a girl couldn't get car finance but her boyfriends Dad could, so he was paying it off for her but the car was registered to her. The couple split up and she refused to return the car or pay for it, he had it reposessed as he could prove he was paying.

That's slightly different though because at all stages the finance company owned the car. So when she stopped paying he probably contacted his finance company and told them where the car was and they would have reposessed it to clear his liability

EP82

Member +
I did think bout saying it had been stolen :p Its silver I just spoke to the guy who bought it from me (still had his number) He claims he has now sold the car on and the car is taxed and insured by the new owner :confused:

Tempted to just pay the bloody fine instead of goin to court, but what do I do then? how do I know if I am still the registered keeper?

Craig_GT

Lifer
Ad speak with the DVLA asap and explain the situation.
they might have best advice, tbh i wouldnt pay it.
do you have any proof of when you sold it?

Sharkman645

Member +
I got stung the same as you mate i sent a letter explaining the situation and sent a copy of receipt which said trade in and the vechiles details on it and they still wouldnt accept it, they said go to court or pay the fine, bunch of bastards they are, if i was you i would pay the fine then take the guy you sold car to to a small claims court and get your money back. He fucked you so fuck him back with no lube!!

dee23388

Member +
This happened to me as well. I called up explained what had happened and that i couldnt contact them and they had the v5 and they let me off and i didnt need to pay anything. Best taking a chance instead of payin for it :)