Windows 7 Beta

John757

Member +
Anyone had any experience with the new Windows 7 OS from Microsoft? Pretty much all the comments i've read are saying this is how Vista should of been and they've finally found the light? Have they found the light?! Im downloading it now and will test soon.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
the version i tested was rather buggy but i was still impressed, especially with how fast it ran compared to vista

John757

Member +
Well it is much faster than Vista I must say and that's with it running off of a Virtual machine i've set up.

From what i've seen you don't need a powerhouse PC to run it as they've made it so it's also able to run on low end hardware also. I gave the Virtual machine 1gb of my RAM to chew on and the OS flew through everything I did with it.

This might actually be better than XP when it's complete. Hurahh! :)

The Windows 7 Beta build 7000 can be got off of pretty much any torrent sites now. There isnt much point of doing a full format to install this as your main OS because as it's only a BETA naturally it will expire at some point. So if your wanting to have a test go to http://www.virtualbox.org/ download the VM software and once you've created a new profile, when you start the VM for the first time Mount the CD/Image File (.iso) that you downloaded and it will install the OS.

milloman

Member +
I've come to a conclusion here!!!

Vista = Windows ME! - OR could vista out-shit ME? I doubt that... but it's the one you'd like to forget anyway...

Yes Mr Gates it does look pretty but it's no longer an OS... it's just an S that doesn't O very well at all!

davehart

Member +
the version i tested was rather buggy but i was still impressed, especially with how fast it ran compared to vista

Vista is the worst OS they have released for years and as said in the post above not to afr off the shocker that was ME.

Even with my new PC I'll be sticking with XP at least until Windows 7 comes out or they somehow fix Vista.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Vista is the worst OS they have released for years and as said in the post above not to afr off the shocker that was ME.

Even with my new PC I'll be sticking with XP at least until Windows 7 comes out or they somehow fix Vista.

well vista workd better then xp for me. the worst OS ever was windows ME!!! fuck me all the bugs that had... :S

AzE_B

Member +
vista is alot beter that xp imo you just need a powerful pc iv download 7 beta im just upgrading my pc atm then im guna try it on there ill let you now how it go's

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
will download beta 7 tonight. i was going to format my laptop so might aswell put in windows 7 to try it out...

John757

Member +
I'm not sure if anyone's actually got around the expiry issue with Windows 7 yet. I know Timer Nuke is supposed to stop the expiry countdown of the BETA release but I've seen quite a few people comment that this isn't working. I wouldn't download it as your main OS at all! Don't expose Windows media player 11 to your MP3's either because it'll chop 3 seconds off the beginning of them (FOR GOOD!). As I've said already, if you want to play with it, download VirtualBox.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
I'm not sure if anyone's actually got around the expiry issue with Windows 7 yet. I know Timer Nuke is supposed to stop the expiry countdown of the BETA release but I've seen quite a few people comment that this isn't working. I wouldn't download it as your main OS at all! Don't expose Windows media player 11 to your MP3's either because it'll chop 3 seconds off the beginning of them (FOR GOOD!). As I've said already, if you want to play with it, download VirtualBox.

hah! i dont play music normaly.... downloaded yesterday will put it as my main os tonight. as i was going to give my laptop a format.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
im sure that in 30 days they will find a way to stop it from expireing and if so il go back to another OS. there is no sense in trying it out just for a cuple of minutes.. so i will use it every day and see how it goes! :)

CMR

Member +
Vista is fine, for home use. I wouldnt use it in a corporate environment though.

Btw, if you install 7 on a hardrive and you have XP / Vista on another hardrive cracked, it will ask you for a valid cdkey when you boot up the cracked OS apparently

Evil Genius

Member +
vista is alot beter that xp imo you just need a powerful pc iv download 7 beta im just upgrading my pc atm then im guna try it on there ill let you now how it go's

In my opinion Vista is the biggest programming and compiling error ever. They have created a monster which has an uncontrolable hunger for RAM. An OS using 1 GB of RAM doing nothing is just so useless. Yeah it has a lot of eyecandy, it looks nice, but if I see the performance.......OMG. They have created something more useless than Windows ME. And yeah shame on me, I actually did an exam for this piece of junk.

Will try Windows 7 soon, but lads save your MP3 songs, they can be useless afterwards.

CMR

Member +
Vista on a decent PC is fine, it didnt use to be no.. but its alot better than it was. Also in most modern apps/games performance is the same if not better than XP.

I would rather use vista 64 over XP Pro 64bit anyday at home.

The memory usage yeah, its high, but 4gb ddr2 is stupidly cheap now

Evil Genius

Member +
You are using the 64bit version? Why? You are running 32bit software most of the time. So no advantages there. The 64 bit version can work with 3+ Gb of memory but if you are running the 32bit one, only the business edition and ultimate edition will use 4 Gb.

I used it at my work and at home. I agree for most people it will do fine for surfing, downloading and e-mail. But if you want to do something extra, most of the time its a no go, because of performance troubles. And at work, that's also a pain in the ass. Management tools for our servers didn't work, they work now but still kinda crappy. I'm still running Windows XP because of my "slow" pc, and the lack of performance in Vista.

@Sheldon, divx films....... it think they rip out the good parts of your pr0n collection :p

Last edited: