3 Headgaskets in a month - what am I doing wrong???

sdutton007

Member +
I had my headgasket go a month ago (due to a hole in the radiator), so I put a new rad on and replaced the headgasket, water pump, thermostat, head bolts, etc. (Didnt do cambelt because new one didnt fit even though it said it was for EP82)

Then a couple of weeks later it went again (apparently because the dizzy timing was out, it basically burnt the headgasket - and the headgasket was severly burnt between cylinders 1 & 2). So I replaced the headgasket and set the timing to 10degrees BTDC.

Now, I've just discovered mayo in the oil and I have no idea what I've done wrong - i followed all torque settings, put everything back in, etc.

Please help

sdutton007

Member +
If it makes any difference, all the parts I used to do the headgasket are the same as 4EFE - the motor factors said all the parts were the same (they did ask if the headgasket was metal or fibrous, but the one I took out to start with was fibrous anyway).

The head was skimmed both times and I put a straightedge across the block and there were no gaps.

whiteglanzav

Member +
mate you keep putting these threads up all the time and always get a decent response but help your self a little and buy genuine parts from toyota it may save you a lot of time and hassle

have you got piks of each of the 3 headgaskets that have "gone" ??

Sparky

Member +
Motorfactors are useless when it comes to imports etc, should of gone to a trader on here, it must be down to the 4efe gasket surely they are different thickness as the fte is lower compression?

TurboDave

Member +
OE 4EFTE only I'dd say, I cant see a non turbo HG being designed and made to cope with the same cylinder pressures and temperatures as a turbo one....

danb87

South East England Area Rep
If it makes any difference, all the parts I used to do the headgasket are the same as 4EFE - the motor factors said all the parts were the same (they did ask if the headgasket was metal or fibrous, but the one I took out to start with was fibrous anyway).

The head was skimmed both times and I put a straightedge across the block and there were no gaps.

when i purchased a head gasket kit from dave@tm, on the part number etc it had 4efe i did query this an he said yep its fine. either way i replaced the standard gasket with a athena gasket. well worth the money.

Texx

Super Moderator
Turbo and N/A use the same head gasket.

Are you sure your current head gasket is leaking? A bit of mayo in the oil filler cap isn't necessarily a sure sign, especially during the current cold damp weather. If the engine isn't overheating or blowing out coolant from the expansion tank, take the car for a good run and then recheck the filler cap.

Is it defo using water?

Did you ever clean the oil cap after replacing any of the other headgaskets? perhaps there still sum residue on it from past

sx_turbo

Lifer
Are the efe and efte gaskets the same? I'd be questioning that to be honest!

there the same.

@ sparky - not all motor factors are useless.

@turbo dave - the oe part numbers are same for turbo and non turbo

did it boil up at all?

i had a similar problem to this before i forged, and basicly the blocks on 4e's do have a tendency to warp, and the tolerance is just 2 thou (iirc) so check the block.

also have you had the head skimmed?

ramses974

Member +
the head maybe a litle warped ...our head is very fragile...go to a shop to verify it....
A headgasket failure can be done by
-excessive timing,or detonation
-warped head due to 1rst overheating
-internal cracked head
-and finally the headgasket itself too...but rare...
Are you stock?? pressure turbo etc ?

sdutton007

Member +
mate you keep putting these threads up all the time and always get a decent response but help your self a little and buy genuine parts from toyota it may save you a lot of time and hassle

have you got piks of each of the 3 headgaskets that have "gone" ??

I haven't got pics but the 1st one wasnt visibly damaged (the head must have warped from the excessive heat), the 2nd was badly burnt between cylinders 1 & 2 and the 3rd is currently in the engine.

Turbo and N/A use the same head gasket.

Are you sure your current head gasket is leaking? A bit of mayo in the oil filler cap isn't necessarily a sure sign, especially during the current cold damp weather. If the engine isn't overheating or blowing out coolant from the expansion tank, take the car for a good run and then recheck the filler cap.

Not 100% sure but quite a bit of mayo in the cap can't be a good thing. I'll take it for a run later and check the cap again.

Is it defo using water?

Did you ever clean the oil cap after replacing any of the other headgaskets? perhaps there still sum residue on it from past

Yes, i cleaned the cap after the 1st HG (the 2nd HG didnt cause any mayo) so it's definately new.

did it boil up at all?

i had a similar problem to this before i forged, and basicly the blocks on 4e's do have a tendency to warp, and the tolerance is just 2 thou (iirc) so check the block.

also have you had the head skimmed?

The block seemed fine on a straightedge with no gaps. And the head was skimmed both times (2nd time was only 6 thou skim)

the head maybe a litle warped ...our head is very fragile...go to a shop to verify it....
A headgasket failure can be done by
-excessive timing,or detonation
-warped head due to 1rst overheating
-internal cracked head
-and finally the headgasket itself too...but rare...
Are you stock?? pressure turbo etc ?

TD04 @ 0.8 bar, but before the first headgasket went it caused no probs running on the td04 for 18 months.

Thanks

sx_turbo

Lifer
what brand of headgasket and head bolts are you using?

maybe the surfaces arent clean enough (not teaching u to suck eggs here)

sdutton007

Member +
what brand of headgasket and head bolts are you using?

maybe the surfaces arent clean enough (not teaching u to suck eggs here)

The headgasket is BGA, headbolts i'll have to look when I get home.

And I rubbed the block lightly with sandpaper wrapped round a block of wood to get it clean (before checking it with a straightedge).

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
If you are using a MLS (multi layer steel) hg then, it is very important to have both the head and block faced to make sure it has an even surface, before applying the new gasket make sure both surfaces are as clean as possible, and use new bolts each time.

Did you just by chance make sure you hooked up the water and vacum lines propperly in the throttle body? as if u get those mixed up ull have water flowing into your engine.

kon

sx_turbo

Lifer
The headgasket is BGA, headbolts i'll have to look when I get home.

And I rubbed the block lightly with sandpaper wrapped round a block of wood to get it clean (before checking it with a straightedge).

tem headgaskets are ok, sold quite a few and had no problems.

ktl

Member +
mayo can be normal from short journeys. but you did know the block can be warped. i had to get my blocked skimmed cause it had warpped aswell as the head.

is the engine using water or spitting it back out?

TheStarletGT

Member +
I know what the problem is. Your head bolts are too long now, and under extreme conditions, your head is lifting. This is the result of getting the head skimmed twice.

350ep70gr

Member +
I know what the problem is. Your head bolts are too long now, and under extreme conditions, your head is lifting. This is the result of getting the head skimmed twice.
Spot on! Rep going to be added!

Nice joke! Best thing i have heard for a long time!

So people who use skimed heads and skimed block with 0.6mm gasket should have a huge gap in between cause head bolts are too long yea?

It was you who built the engine of J25GTI member?

Chris