Bigger Brakes Availability

Pumba_GT

Member +
Hi Chaps:

Recently I have been looking for some bigger Toyota standard Calipers and Discs for my EP82. I did a lot of searching including in the old forums.

Now, the option for 2 pots calipers and slightly thicker discs are most commonly used. The Toyota models which share the same fitment for 2 pots calipers are as below:

1. Toyota Levin/Trueno AE101 or AE111 with superstrut suspension. This is the best option as their calipers and discs will fit straight onto the EP82 without re-drill the disc. Perhaps we will need a 3mm spacer behind the disc to offset it right in between the caliper pads.

2. Toyota ST185 (Celica GT4) with 2 pots calipers and 255mm x 25mm discs. The disc required 3 holes drilling to make the existing 5 x 100 pcd to 4 x 100 PCD. Their calipers will fit straight on to EP82 as well. Spacer is required as well.

3. Toyota MR-2 SW20 with 2 pots calipers and 255mm x 25mm discs. Everything is same as option 2 above.

Now, has anyone got any experience with the Celica ST205 4 pots front calipers and 2 pots rear calipers on an EP82? I just wonder if these front and rear calipers will also either fit without too much hassle? What is the correct disc dismeter to use in this instance? This will be a bloody cool Option except from the above.

It would be appreciated if someone who is experienced or know something about this brake conversion could share some lights to me? You can PM me if you like.

Please help.:)

Monkfish

Member +
I don't want to piss on your chips, but the ST185 has single pot calipers. Granted, they're big and would (and have) work very well on Starlets, but they're not 2 pots. The ST205 are 2 pots, but they're mucking fassive and won't fit behind Starlet wheels.

Ted

Member +
I don't want to piss on your chips, but the ST185 has single pot calipers. Granted, they're big and would (and have) work very well on Starlets, but they're not 2 pots. The ST205 are 2 pots, but they're mucking fassive and won't fit behind Starlet wheels.

early jdm st185 were 2 pots. take your piss off his chips please.

lanxter

Member +

there are 2 types chap

one have single piston and ther other have twin

the single piston ones are said to be better though as have a larger surface area as its quite a big piston

Pumba_GT

Member +
Monkfish: I'm pretty sure that the Jap ST205 are 4 pots front and 2 pots rear. Do a search in internet and you'll know the answer. I don't say bullocks without doing any research in this area as I am going to upgrade my EP82 front brakes soon. I think the main issue with ST205 calipers is that they are too thick where the wheels will contact them without proper outward offset.

Goldenvtr (Dan): Can we fit the single piston calipers and 280mm disc from the ST185 to our starlet? (if only involve re-drill and spacer behind disc, and on 15" wheels).

The Wilwood kit is way over my budget, and it is more suitable on big power Starlet where twin pistons calipers can't stop them properly.

lanxter

Member +
Monkfish: I'm pretty sure that the Jap ST205 are 4 pots front and 2 pots rear. Do a search in internet and you'll know the answer. I don't say bullocks without doing any research in this area as I am going to upgrade my EP82 front brakes soon. I think the main issue with ST205 calipers is that they are too thick where the wheels will contact them without proper outward offset.

Goldenvtr (Dan): Can we fit the single piston calipers and 280mm disc from the ST185 to our starlet? (if only involve re-drill and spacer behind disc, and on 15" wheels).

The Wilwood kit is way over my budget, and it is more suitable on big power Starlet where twin pistons calipers can't stop them properly.

ill let you know mate as thats what im doing, got the calipers just need new wheels and the discs/

the twin piston ones fit as golden has them on but the single pot ones have a bigger disc so will have to wait and see.

they fit under 15's on GT4's so hopnig they should on mine

goldenvtr

Member +

yes you can use the big single piston, then i would use interga or accord discs as there 280mm, youll still need a spacer, and MAYBE 16" alloys.

Pumba_GT

Member +
Thanks for the advises, Lanxter and Dan.
Lanxter: As fas as I know, the bigger ST185 gt4 disc has 270mm dia. and thicker than 25mm. Let me know how you getting on with the conversion please. This would be another great and cheap option for my plan.
Thanks guys.

lanxter

Member +
Thanks for the advises, Lanxter and Dan.
Lanxter: As fas as I know, the bigger ST185 gt4 disc has 270mm dia. and thicker than 25mm. Let me know how you getting on with the conversion please. This would be another great and cheap option for my plan.
Thanks guys.

i checked there 277mm and 25mm thick been pricing the discs up new for vented and grooved and looking at arround 150quid for front and back discs.

reason im getting rear is i have st185 GT4 rear calipers as well so going to have a crack at fitting them too.

will let you know how i get on not sure how long it will be with xmas coming up as i need some new wheels before i can fit them

goldenvtr

Member +
i was going to look into the st205 rear calipers there pretty big would make a nice upgrade.

the st185 2pot discs are ment to be 25mm thick too but im using 22mm with no problems. I cant see that 3mm will cause anyproblems expect maybe needing to change the pad slighly more often

Pumba_GT

Member +
i was going to look into the st205 rear calipers there pretty big would make a nice upgrade.

the st185 2pot discs are ment to be 25mm thick too but im using 22mm with no problems. I cant see that 3mm will cause anyproblems expect maybe needing to change the pad slighly more often

Dan:
Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking on the ST205 rear 2 pots calipers. If their 4 pots front calipers can't fit as a result from too thick calipers body, I might want to try the rear 2 pots. Who knows they might fit perfectly!

Ted

Member +
seriously guys the 2 pot calipers are more than enough for a car this weight.
they grip more than my tyres can cope with and they are sticky. awesome power compared to stock. 4 pot is overkill.

Jay

Admin
seriously guys the 2 pot calipers are more than enough for a car this weight.
they grip more than my tyres can cope with and they are sticky. awesome power compared to stock. 4 pot is overkill.

I can vouch for that...

Aus_Ep82

Fresh Recruit
If you want a good upgrade on starlet and still want to keep it in the toyota family then the brakes off a AE111 Levin superstrut are the way to go.

2 pot calipers as well as a larger diameter disc. Fit pretty much straight onto a starlet. Check it out. :)

goldenvtr

Member +
If you want a good upgrade on starlet and still want to keep it in the toyota family then the brakes off a AE111 Levin superstrut are the way to go.

2 pot calipers as well as a larger diameter disc. Fit pretty much straight onto a starlet. Check it out. :)

they are the same calipers as the st185 gt4, only a slight diffrence in the carriers, the levin ones allow bigger discs.