CAP clutches

dan4

Fresh Recruit
Guys i have made some discoveries about cap clutches in the recent weeks after fitting them to an ep82

The first clutch kit would barely allow selection of gears, it was not fully disengaging causing it to drag to the point where if you start the car in gear it slowly drags you along

May i point out that the hydraulic components in the system are new also so they can be disregarded, there is no air in the system

The second clutch kit has improved things alot however still very slight drag and this time ridiculous judder. Reverse gear is a pita to get but other gears are selected with minimal effort, sometimes snagging into gear though

Amongst these problems i came across something alarming which i will upload pictures off asap

Cap claim here http://www.capclutch.com/doyoumanallo.html that they manufacture their high performance products. This is essentially true as the friction plate centre (the sprung part with the spline) is exeddy with the unknown 4puk rivetted to it and some cheap gold paint sprayed over, this comes off with brake cleaner. I am unable to work out what the pressure plate is yet

They also state that nothing is "rebuilt" which i am dubious of now...???

Last edited:

squeekyduck

Member +
Interesting. I would like to get some feedback from other users. I have also recently bought one of these units and I am awaiting delivery.

jezza

Lifer
I fitted a Cap clutch to my Gt in November. The judder was quite severe for roughly 500 miles but is now settling down as it has bed in.

I've expereienced no other issues but I'm curious to hear more info with regard to its construction and if it was worth the money.

GTdan

In The Closet
as jezza said im getting some slight judder, but this settles down from what ive read.
no problem selecting gears.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
same here... perfect.

yeah the plate is just sprayed with a gold spray lol. but works perfect.

you changed presure plate also?? all gears go in easyly for me no problem at all... seen some drag days to so shifted as quick as possible and had no problem also. we cannot say its the best kit out there but its the best value for money! also i dont think we never had any bad reports on this forum? but then again i dont think they been used for a long time.

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
no problems with my cap clutch, i will need a good 500 miles to bed in,
i would a advise people to get some polybush engine mounts set off 3
if you dont want sure mani to crack,

sx_turbo

Lifer
they are definately not exedy spring units. in the center of the clutch disc.

it is possible that you have 2 dodgy clutches.

or it could be possible that your clutch fork is slightly bent, or even it's possible that the release bearing may even be the wrong one.

also for people complaining about the judder, it is a 4 paddle clutch so there will be judder.

my exedy is the same for judder as my CAP was.

ChrisGT

Member +
Had a CAP clutch for just over a year and never had trouble putting it in gear. Yes its a bit juddery but a few more revs and its fine! Maybe, like sx_turbo says, you've got extremely unlucky and got 2 dodgy ones! Very strange!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
they are definately not exedy spring units. in the center of the clutch disc.

it is possible that you have 2 dodgy clutches.

or it could be possible that your clutch fork is slightly bent, or even it's possible that the release bearing may even be the wrong one.

also for people complaining about the judder, it is a 4 paddle clutch so there will be judder.

my exedy is the same for judder as my CAP was.

before the cap one i had and exedy presure plate and helix pedal clutch, was the same as the cap. all pedal clutches are a bit juddery... few more revs will sort the prob. if you want to call it a prob:)

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Pretty much Sheldon, you should try the six puck with solid disk 5k launches, everyone thinks your trying to race them off the lights. I usually wait for them to go first then start to rev, and once moving potter a long.

Exhibitionist!

dan4

Fresh Recruit
As promised pics of both cap clutches....no idea on the paddle make or cover

Photo237.jpg

Photo236.jpg

Im pretty sure the clutch fork is not bent, i think the friction plate is sticking on the input shaft splines. The 2nd clutch kit was better but it still insnt right. I have never has this on toyotas but have on some other makes

While on the topic this clutch kit was supplied by Speedvision who was reluctant to even send out any replacement to start with putting all the blame on CAP, then the 2nd kit was sent out and more customs charges appeared(should have been none as it was a warranty item). And now Speedvision is unwilling to do anything.

I personally swear by RPS, i use them repeatedly and mine very rarely judders. My poor customer (a member on here) has now spent the equivalent oof an OS clutch:eek:

speedvision

Member +
this i really unbelievable of what ur saying about me and i strongly advise you rephrase your words....

cap clutch kit was bought from customer and dan4 is the mechanic...customer complained of clutch not releasing....i got onto cap main guy and ask his suggestion...he suggested to resurface flywheel, bleed system properly, get master and slave cylinders and make sure the pressure inside is enough, i then ask the customer to do all of these and he reported he did and the problem is still present....i then reported back to cap clutch and asked them for a new disc and plate but they sent customer a new complete kit..last thing u want to do is send another kit out if a little problem can be solved by doin the above work.....mechainc got new kit and complained again about the releasing.....

i did my best to sort out customer service to this matter and yet i am still getting bashed by this mechanic who i must say in all the u2u was very rude and disobedient and i was never unreasonable to him.....the customer in self who bought the kit was ok but this dan4 guy is very bad manners and dont kno how to speak to people...

i never once blame cap...all i said is that they dont want to send out a new kit unless all of what i asked u to do u did....once u confirmed that u did all the new kit was sent to you...

kits are shipped direct from cap and i have no control over customs charges..

u now have 2 kits and claim both are not working to ur satisfaction..

i know the majority of this forum has this clutch and they never complain..

i supplied customer service to you the way in which i could of my best and now i am the bad guy ..

sam

dan4

Fresh Recruit
all the work that was requested was carried out and still the problem persists and now you wash your hands of the matter:confused: All in all poor service

customer is not ok but is unable to fully expain the problem technically and so asked me to do so

CMR

Member +
Your the first person out of manyyyy people to say a bad word who have cap clutches and everyone else has been fine.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
how come there is the exedy daiken logo on the plate?? you revealed that by removing the gold spray??

also i cant see 2 kits not working and most of all with the same problem!! many people use these clutches and work perfect! what else you want from sam? he sent another complete kit!

speedvision

Member +
all the work that was requested was carried out and still the problem persists and now you wash your hands of the matter:confused: All in all poor service

customer is not ok but is unable to fully expain the problem technically and so asked me to do so

u claim i washed my hands with this matter..if i did so u would not have even received a second clutch kit nor any responses via u2u..i replied to every one of ur u2u's and did the best service that was required and that was to relate the problem u had with the first kit and get cap to send u a new complete kit....u were never pleasant in any u2u and from the start was very rude but i took it and continued to try my best to help you...and now u say my service is poor...wow..

sam