Car driving me mental

Rumel786

Member +
Feel like getting my car scrapped :(

remeber previously where i said it now and then makes a screetching noise, well now it does it all thye time, its gone even worser :(

im uploading a vid now and can you guys tell me what the prob may be?

the noise is coming from the drivers side.

stuart

Member +
CV? Bearings? Drive shaft wankered? Stick a vid up. Jack car up and spin wheel freely to see if makes the noise too.

MentaLEP91

Member +
could it be the alternator belt that needs change/tensioning?
or water pump belt or cambelt?

mate get the car to a trusty mechanic to diagnose the problem, don't scrap it :p
it's a beauty!

Rumel786

Member +
Believe or not took it to the garage recommended by WRC sales where i bought the car from and they didnt Fcukin have a clue what it is.

huwr

Member +
Are your brake discs and pads in good condition? Maybe a warped disc?

As said before jack it up and spin the wheels and see if that noise still happens.

Last edited:

Rumel786

Member +
the wheels moved freely without making that noise when i tried it this morning at the garage, on way home it stared making the noise again.

Rumel786

Member +
could it be the alternator belt that needs change/tensioning?
or water pump belt or cambelt?

mate get the car to a trusty mechanic to diagnose the problem, don't scrap it :p
it's a beauty!

Checked the alternator belt and its ok, theres no good garages next to my house, only the dodgy fkrs who dont have a clue about performance cars and quote ridicilous prices ofr example - It will cost 580 to fit a new alternator on a standard peugeot 306 :shoot:

ChrisGT

Member +
I was going to say wheel bearing...but that sounds very odd! But my front driver side wheel bearing went and jacking it up and spinning the wheel didn't make any noise but it had still gone! You can't spin it fast enough 'cos its the driving wheels to replicate road speeds so you won't know by doing that!

Rumel786

Member +
at the end of the vid i were going around 5mp and slowing to a toal stop, at that point you can clearly hear the noise still.....

so even when i had it jacked up and slowly moved the wheels it didnt make the noise at all :(

ChrisGT

Member +
So the noise isn't related to speed/movement?

When the car is sat stationary, idling and you open up the bonnet and rev the engine can you hear the noise? If so, then its engine related. Could be alternator/water pump. Get a long-ish pole (I used the removeable handle of my trolley jack) press it up against the alternator and put your ear against the other end. Does it make any strange noises??

Few more things to try; whilst driving along select neutral and coast along; does the noise dissapear? Driving along, press the clutch in and keep it in, does the noise dissapear? Could be diff bearing/gearbox related - that will help narrow it down a bit.

Rumel786

Member +
Lol it is speed related sorry, only problem is that it doesnt make it al the time, but today its gone worse, its not the alternator, already checked that, its summat on the front right side, i think its possible the drive shaft/cv joint but the bloody mechanic i took it to couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Jay

Admin
Sounds like the caliper splashguard/backing plate could be touching the disc slightly.

Get a screwdriver and push it back a bit away from the disc. Mine did this a while back.

Rumel786

Member +
Iv checked that jay and its not touching. before it only used to make the noise when i full lock it, but recently its been doing it when even driving in a straight line, the noise is very loud as well, so it cant be the splash guard again. the sound of the noise and the friction it seems to be having is not from the backing plate touching brake pad. had to put my music on really loud so no one can hear it cos its gone really loud now.

Last edited:

Rumel786

Member +
BTW when i first bought the car i took it back to WRC saying on full lock it makes the noise, they just said its the lsd and didnt do much else about it saying not to worry.

ChrisGT

Member +
Lol it is speed related sorry, only problem is that it doesnt make it al the time, but today its gone worse, its not the alternator, already checked that, its summat on the front right side, i think its possible the drive shaft/cv joint but the bloody mechanic i took it to couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Could be driveshaft/wheel bearing. A CV joint will be more of an issue when turning but might be the problem. However a CV joint will make a clunking sound more than a whine. I wouldn't be surprised if its a wheel bearing tbh, but any mechanic would be able to spot that...so bit strange?!

I went through the same thing as you not long ago mate! Had a loud whirring sound for quite awhile, it was the front driveside wheel bearing gone!

Sounds like the caliper splashguard/backing plate could be touching the disc slightly.

Get a screwdriver and push it back a bit away from the disc. Mine did this a while back.

Was just going to suggest that! Hate it when that happens! The front brake discs have metal guards on the back and they can bend forward and rub against the disc, and it makes a horrible grating sound as you drive along. As Jay said, just get a screwdriver and push it back clear of the disc.

ChrisGT

Member +
BTW when i first bought the car i took it back to WRC saying on full lock it makes the noise, they just said its the lsd and didnt do much else about it saying not to worry.

Try this:

Few more things to try; whilst driving along select neutral and coast along; does the noise dissapear? Driving along, press the clutch in and keep it in, does the noise dissapear? Could be diff bearing/gearbox related - that will help narrow it down a bit.

That'll help rule out gearbox/diff.

I think maybe its wheel bearing tbh! :p A very, very fucked one by the sounds of it! lol

Jack the car up (again! :p) and grab the wheel at 12 and 6, try rock it back and forth. Do the same at 9 and 3, if theres a lot of play it will be the wheel bearing mate!

Rumel786

Member +
A pic of which of which part i need to make sure is push back in please?

btw rep added to all for the help uv provided so far :p