Daves cat back ,vibration problem ,need advise

thechomper

Member +
right lads installed this at the weekend and having a few problems,with vibration and the odd banging,i have replace the back box bushings with polyureteane ,which has improved it a fair bit

S7300543-1.jpg

i am planning and also replacing the middle ones ,as i think it will help

S7300542-1.jpg

now were the main vibration is coming from is ,the middle part of the exhaust were it is hitting this gaurd ,can i remove the gaurd ,or is it there for a reason,this is were the vibration is coming from

S7300541-1.jpg

also it is sounding as if the backbox is rubbing off the odd bad bump,but it dos'nt look scratched and i think the knock is somewere else.picture ,height of the lowest point to the ground is 4 and a half inchs ,now the suspension islowered to the deck,what ye reckon

S7300544-1.jpg

Last edited:

WallaceGlanza

Member +
On the bumps the rear axle will be coming up and hitting the bit of pipe going over it, mine does this on large bumps.

thechomper

Member +
On the bumps the rear axle will be coming up and hitting the bit of pipe going over it, mine does this on large bumps.

is yours one of Daves or a blitz one ,now one thing i say the exhaust is top notch and i would recommend to anyone ,just with Dave been on holidays ,and can't get in touch,top class trader ,just looking for suggestions to sort it,as it's doing my head in ,halfords only had 2 polyuretane bushings ,so ill have to wait till the weekend ,to do the middle ones

kieran.s gt

Member +
is yours one of Daves or a blitz one ,now one thing i say the exhaust is top notch and i would recommend to anyone ,just with Dave been on holidays ,and can't get in touch,top class trader ,just looking for suggestions to sort it,as it's doing my head in ,halfords only had 2 polyuretane bushings ,so ill have to wait till the weekend ,to do the middle ones

polyuretane bushings should help it alot

Aidan-G

Member +
shouldnt need to replace the middle rubbers
no harm to bend that metal bit too
maybe try to bend the hanger at the backbox so it sits a bit higher..it must be sitting really low at the minute!

WallaceGlanza

Member +

Mine's a custom job,I had it fitted before the coilovers then needed it adjusted a lot once lowered. There's not a lot of room over the rear axle when there's a big 2.5inch pipe running over it.

thechomper

Member +
the gaurd is not metal ,but more a plastic material,so dont think i can bend it,the clearence seems fine ,but the backbox only has a few scrapes ,so i think that is were it must be touching ,when i'm getting the banging noise,would it be major if i removed the gaurd,and does 4 and half inches sound ok for clearence of the backbox

thechomper

Member +
Ten minutes spent doing this might save you a whole lot of headscratching mate.

Give it a go! :)

well mate if thats your advise ,i'll definitly give it a go,do you reckon the banging is the axle hitting part of the exhaust,rather then the back box rubbing,and should i try avoid removing that gaurd

Rory

Lifer
I will garantee, that the axle will be hitting the exhaust pipe. Car is possibly a tad bit to low.

I persobnally would not remove the petrol tank gaurds, give them a bend about, and see how you get on. As Jay pointed out, free and easy.

thechomper

Member +
I will garantee, that the axle will be hitting the exhaust pipe. Car is possibly a tad bit to low.

I persobnally would not remove the petrol tank gaurds, give them a bend about, and see how you get on. As Jay pointed out, free and easy.

cheers mate ,give it a go tomarrow,yes the car is slammed to the deck,could'nt go any lower

dac69er

Super Moderator
exhaust knocking is really hard to stop even on the best exhausts. if lowered it make things worse.

ive only got a 2" pipe over the rear axle and that still knocks on big bumps!

thechomper

Member +
Un-Slam it a wee bit, and see how it goes.
Going from the avatar pic, its well down! :p

its slammed to the deck on lowering springs (previous owner ),coilovers will come when the credit card is sorted ,but that will be at least 4 months