F*ck the Police! All exhausts louder than stock illegal LMFAO

sdutton007

Member +
I got pulled over on saturday for my exhaust (Blitz Nurspec R with the baffles in) - the obnoxious bastid that pulled me said all exhausts louder than standard are illegal and when i tried arguing he just kept saying he's been doing this for 30 years and knows that they are illegal :mad:

Also, he said my front tints were illegal (which they are, but still) - apparently i'm likely to run over a cyclist at night because I can't see out of them......... well if the cyclist has a light on like he has to legally, i WILL see him!

anyway, the moron copper is apparently going to come round my house in 2 weeks time, where i will be telling him something along the lines of "am i driving my car right at this moment? it is on private property so i suggest you remove yourself from the premises immediately and go eat some doughnuts or hassle some other poor road-users who have done nothing wrong INSTEAD OF catching murderers and rapists..."

I'm thinking of installing a hidden switch that will stop the windows from operating, so that when i next get pulled, I can undo them and flip the switch - then they can't make me do up the windows because they are 'broken' lol.

Does anybody know if the hidden window cut-off switch will stop them from trying to do me?
And what I can I do next time an obnoxious moron tells me all louder than stock exhausts are illegal???

For the record, I don't hate all police - just the high proportion of them that are obnoxious morons that just want to get their numbers up.

Craig_GT

Lifer
similar thing happened to me.. got a £30 fine!

havent changed my exhaust back to standard n touch wood I havent bn done again.

sdutton007

Member +
I read somewhere on the old forum that they have to have properly calibrated sound measuring equipment to prove that it is illegally loud.

Companies like blitz, HKS, blue flame, magnex, scorpion and milltek wouldn't sell many exhausts if they were illegal for road use - but sooooo many cars have them on without being illegal!

Craig_GT

Lifer
yeah all that is true mate, i just couldnt be bothered makin myself a target by arguing resulting in mr prob being pulled over constantly etc

Blak_Mamber

Member +
They are b*stards mate, got done in the same way twice, i said that its all legal and at the correct Decibels, he wasnt having none of it, i think he was low on getting fines from people that month so he fined me £30. Then i read up that they need to use a DCB meter to test it!

Nwimie

Member +
similar thing happened to me.. got a £30 fine!

havent changed my exhaust back to standard n touch wood I havent bn done again.

you mean you paid the £30 fine :O i would have argued it all the way and took them to court!!! if i was 100% in the right!

some police just power trip and make all police seem like assholes when really the majority are normally ok :]

sdutton007

Member +
you mean you paid the £30 fine :O i would have argued it all the way and took them to court!!! if i was 100% in the right!

some police just power trip and make all police seem like assholes when really the majority are normally ok :]

The majority are normally OK? I need to come and live near you lol. Here the majority seem utter gits even though i'm always polite to them and don't give them a hard time (mainly because I figure if i'm nice to them, they have less reason to want to do me for something - doesn't seem to work that well tho)!

Nwimie

Member +
i would say in bristol 75 % are ok nice people to chat to just the rest let the side down by thinking they are better thanm u and trying there hardest to make your life crap!

Spoonz

Member +

Didnt u just get done for your number plate lol

ragz

Member +
you lot complaining bout that then u wanna live in oldham near me mate
then youll find out how awkward the pigs can be trust me i get so tempted to kik the shit outta dem at times

asian coppers and female coppers are the worst

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I get called into the RAF coppers office on a regular basis. Got a right bunch of miserable cunts on my road and they're always complaining that I'm speeding and my car is too loud. The speed limit is 30KmH and I occasionally creep upto 50KmH (which is still only 30mph, hardly supersonic!) but people hear the exhaust and bov and assume I'm doing a million miles an hour. someone even told the police that i came hammering it out of a junction the other day and nearly knocked em off their bike. on the day in question I'd popped an intercooler pipe so was taking it very steady. So they're making stories up now! Like I said, a bunch of miserable cunts.

Taken from Pistonheads

I had a chat with a guy from VOSA regarding this after my girlfriend was pulled for having an illegal exhaust (she was lucky I wasn't there as I've have asked "how is it illegal, wrong colour? wrong shape?" and then if he said volume I'd have asked for the calibration cert for his ears).

An exhaust is only allowed to be as loud as a "stock exhaust" for the same car.
The problem is with import cars that are not EU spec.

The other thing you can be done for is "causing distress and alarm" and I think that's an ASBO. I've got the docs in the car as mine is a bit loud.

Jay

Admin
I'll have to upload the pic of what RMSNoel did to his starlet after being fined for his exhaust....fucking legend.

Monkfish

Member +
Deary me, the shit you read on the internet these days...

Exhaust Noise:- There IS a limit on how loud an exhaust can be, but it's not that of the stock system. 110dB would be that limit, regardless of car, and the Police would have to test it with a calibrated sound measuring device. As I'm aware, Traffic cars do NOT carry such a device, however, the Office is well within his right to give you a notice requesting you take your car to the local VOSA station (Or local DVLA/MOT/Police station that has a calibrated device) to get the vehicle checked. If it is over the limit, you will be given a rectification notice where you will have X amount of days (Usually 14) to fix the problem and take the car back for re-testing. If you do not get the rectification notice signed off by the deadline date, your car is flagged on the DVLA computers as being illegal and any car with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) will get a warning if your plate is captured by the camera. You will then be up to your eyeballs in shit.

In short, louder than stock exhausts are not illegal, but you should be aware that there are enforcable limits. It is also worth noting that an exhaust tailpipe must not protrude beyond the bodywork.

Window Tints:- The same applies to window tints. There is a legal limit (70% light must get through) but it has to be proved by a calibrated light meter. Some Traffic units carry these (They are a small handheld device) and all VOSA (Vehicle Operating Standards Agency) units carry one. In either case, if your tints are too dark, you will be given a rectification notice. If your tints are excessively dark, your vehicle can be impounded for being un-roadworthy, or you can be given the choice to take the tints off there and then.

Attitude:- This is something that REALLY itches my shit, so...

Why do you think, when you get pulled over for X reason, that the Police Officer is generally being cocky or arrogant? I bet you think he is a cock, yes? Massive, massive fail. Granted, some Officers genuinely are cocks, but they are in the minority. Much like those that drive modified cars. Funny that.

You see, driving a modified car, you carry a certain stigma. It doesn't matter if you drive the JUN Skyline and are minted, or drive some Budget Barry Corsa covered in stick on tat and wheeltrims, to the Police, they see us as the same. The opposite works too. It doesn't matter if it's a standard Officer, Dog Unit or Traffic, they all wear the Queens uniform so we regard them as the same. How many times do you think a Traffic Officer has pulled over a young driver in a modified car and received nothing but a torrent of verbal abuse? Now, how many times do you think a modified car driver has been pulled over and been on the receiving end of a torrent of abuse from a Police Officer who's sick young welps in modified cars giving them nothing but shit?

You see a pattern emerging here?

So, how can we fix this? Simple. Make the first move. No, I don't mean to give him a cheeky slap and fuck off at light speed. If you get pulled over for no reason (Routine check etc), don't give the Officer a torrent of abuse, it will get you no-where fast. Instead, be polite. If he/she asks a question, answer them honestly and politely. Providing nothing is illegal with your car and you remain polite, they will let you on your way without hassle. If you get pulled over having been seen driving like a cock, expect some abuse. After all, it is your own fault for getting caught, and to be fair, you are probably not the first to be pulled that day/night. The same applies if your car is obviously illegal for whatever reason (Tints and plates are the most likely). Again, remain polite, listen to what the Officer has to say, oppologise for being a twat and if you're lucky, you will be let on your way with nothing more than a slapped wrist and slightly dented pride. At worst you will have a producer. Unless that is you start acting all "Mr Cool", then expect a fine and/or points.

I once got pulled over for overtaking a marked Traffic car on the motorway. He was doing 70, I was doing 72/73. As soon as I passed, I got pulled over and endured a 5 minute bollocking. I was lucky, I was let on my way and nothing more was said. I could have quite easily picked up 3 points and a £60 fine there. It was entirely my own fault. I took a chance, it backfired. Lesson learnt, no harm done.

Remember, act like a cock and you will be treated like one.

Class Dismissed
Teach.png

smythy75

Member +
i got pulled one time and the copper asked if i had changed the exhaust and i hadnt but i was like sure itl hardly matter anyway and he brought out a sheet with the law on it all highlighted and i read it and they have to rite to tell by 'listening' if the exhaust is too loud or not! so...unless its standard your safe, my advice and experience, be nice to them and respect them and they are 99% of the time of with you!

Monkfish

Member +
If you read through the ASBO laws you will find a law on exhausts

[url=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TrafficManagement/DG_10025601]Taken from here...[/url] said:
Road vehicles - Road vehicles have to comply with noise-level standards. The police can take action if vehicles have defective silencers or are being driven in a way that creates too much noise.

The legal noise limit still applies. What the link above is stating is that even if your car is below the limits, yuo can get an ASBO if you are driving or behaving in a manor that creates exess noise and/or disturbance/distress to local residents. That was all I could find on that. If you've got more information Dave, do you have a link to it?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i got stung with the exact same thing, and was told that an aftermarket exhaust can be no louder than the stock item.

i had to fit the biggest silencers possible to make it pass, and even then i just scraped through. my car sounds like a hairdryer now. :(

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
Exhaust Noise:- There IS a limit on how loud an exhaust can be, but it's not that of the stock system. 110dB would be that limit, regardless of car,

i was told 85db, mine was around 99 and failed.