For all who have removed a 4efte engine....

Somhairle

Lifer
Right chaps,

I'm pulling my engine out at the weekend, I've done it on a few GT's that didn't require the body work to be kept in one piece to say the least.....

so my question is.....

Is there enough room to slide the box to the right and remove the engine?

or should I go the traditional route and remove the box and engine together?

I will have full use of a hydraulic ramp, and a garage full of tools.... (Thats where having a trevor comes in handy)

So yes, give me your best engine removal procedures....

C

CaL

had to change head gasket and clutch on v6 vectra today and thought it would be easier to take engine out lol....hard job really with out the tools but its all fun if done methodically and slowly

Somhairle

Lifer
had to change head gasket and clutch on v6 vectra today and thought it would be easier to take engine out lol....hard job really with out the tools but its all fun if done methodically and slowly

Im a trained mechanic dude ;)!

Was just looking for the quickest route! :D

sx_turbo

Lifer
well to be honest if you take the mani and dounpipe off and remove the radiator, all the hoses , you can take the block out on its own via the top of the car, this way there is no need to take out the gear box, trust me this is the best route, i rebuilt my engine.

Rory

Lifer
Easiest way to do it, would be to strip as much off the engine as possible, and take the engine and box out as a complete unit.
Take the bumper and bonnet off aswell, basiclly give yourself as much room as possible.

Rory

weeJohn

Lifer
Its a piece of piss to take it out the bottom at Trevors Som, take the whole lot out and you can give the box a good look over and the oil change will do the box no harm.

I have a warning for you but, as you might already know.

Once you have done work like this at Trevors, with all his kit and tools, it make it twice as shite the next time you have to do it on the drive!!:D

colin

Fresh Recruit
just take the engine out thats all you need out taking out the box is just extra work you dont need.

Chris

Member +
done my rebuild 2 weeks ago, defo easier to take the whole lot out at once, also easier goin back in as uve not got the problem of trying to alight the engine the to gear box with it all hanging there.

stuart

Member +
well to be honest if you take the mani and dounpipe off and remove the radiator, all the hoses , you can take the block out on its own via the top of the car, this way there is no need to take out the gear box, trust me this is the best route, i rebuilt my engine.

Same as me!

Damage

Member +
If wanting to remove it all, the fastest method is leaving everything together mate.

Regards,

Daniel

sMARTINside

Member +
I have to agree: Engine + Gearbox down together. To take the 4E down and put the 5E back up in it on with the car on a lift took me 6 hours. From fully functional to fully functional!

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Yeah most engines we just drop it out as one and then split it once its out, saves alot of time and hassle tbh.

Good Luck with it buddy should have fun.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Thread from the dead again!

I'm changing my engine at the moment (slowly) and was hoping to just take the block itself out and leave the gearbox in, I've been using Dane's tutorial to help but he took the box out with the engine.

So I was just wondering if anyone could advise on how to do it when leaving the box in, I've already got most of the ancillaries off but just want to know how easy it is to split the engine and box?

I'm hoping I'll have a crane to take it out of the top....

TurboDave

Member +
Thread from the dead again!

I'm changing my engine at the moment (slowly) and was hoping to just take the block itself out and leave the gearbox in, I've been using Dane's tutorial to help but he took the box out with the engine.

So I was just wondering if anyone could advise on how to do it when leaving the box in, I've already got most of the ancillaries off but just want to know how easy it is to split the engine and box?

I'm hoping I'll have a crane to take it out of the top....

Its much easier to leave it all as one drop it down, engine, box, ancillaries and then build the other engine back up with the ancillaries, box attached and just whinch it back up into the car.

:)

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Yeah, can only echo that.

Much easier bolting it together on the floor and then dropping it in as one unit.