300whp+ owners ,clutch issues

haydn28

Member +
this is the 4th clutch ive broken this year.
after i broke the first (ACT 6pad no spring copper) i changed to a new fidanza heavy duty p plate , new flywheel , release bearing . and the splines ripping out / springs jumping out of these clutches , they're not lasting more than 2 months .
i dont do burnouts , very careful driving , no gear grating ,no full throttle shift , nothing harsh , mostly hard pulls on 2nd, 3rd/4th gear .

my list of clutches : 1 act copper no spring, 2 fidanza 6 pad spring,3 clutch masters 6pad spring copper, 4 (present) trd 6pad spring.
:confused:

anyone besides me getting these problems?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Hmmm very strange, I'm using a Competition clutch running 400+hp and do all of the bad things you listed, burnouts, antilag, grinded a few gears and the clutch is nearly in a year with no issues.

I see that they are all paddle clutches of various types. Are you sitting with the car on the bite point alot? Paddles do not like this and won't last long at all.

scot-ish

Member +
ive got act 6 puck, and its been in the car for 10k, no problems as of yet, ive got a spare act 6 puck one in my other car, altho it aint no where near 300 lol.

when it goes im after the competion same as spuddy's. as heard nothing but good on them.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I think the chances of all 3 clutches failing one after the other is an unlikely situation.

The Fidanza for example is designed for some mega abuse, big ass turbos with NOS on alot of powerful cars, so to break on a Starlet when its probally not getting as much abuse is odd.

I think its maybe installation or the way of driving, but i find it hard to be the installation.

haydn28

Member +
I think the chances of all 3 clutches failing one after the other is an unlikely situation.

The Fidanza for example is designed for some mega abuse, big ass turbos with NOS on alot of powerful cars, so to break on a Starlet when its probally not getting as much abuse is odd.

I think its maybe installation or the way of driving, but i find it hard to be the installation.

well actually its not just me experiencing these problems, another guy from my area has the same build and makes similar power he has destroyed 4 clutches this year , i must say however that the ACT 6 pad with spring which was in my car at first (but changed due to worn spline) is the only one not destroyed , im going to buy a new ACT s/s (hope fully a little slip will save the clutch)
6nxzcg.jpg

15ab8o.jpg

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
could it be possible that the parts you are being supplied are not 100% legit? as its very strange for all three clutches to have died so quickly.... unless the face on the flywheel is out or you are not bedding in the clutches propperly...

with my orc309d iv managed 2 big drag events, i had it reconned before march as it was slipping, but after changing the clutch plate & facing all the rest the clutch is holding (by some miracle as they are only rated to 300ps lol).. if u take care of a clutch, especially for the 1st 100kms it will serve u well mate!

kon

Iain@CRD

Lifer
could it be possible that the parts you are being supplied are not 100% legit? as its very strange for all three clutches to have died so quickly.... unless the face on the flywheel is out or you are not bedding in the clutches propperly...

Sounds like the parts could be of inferior quality.

haydn28

Member +
Sounds like the parts could be of inferior quality.

ive thought of this , but all the clutches ive bought have been from authorized dealers here , and it stands up on SR20s ,RBs ..

my fly wheel has been surfaced by a machine shop since i damaged the first and i always check it with a sheet of glass , i do 500km of city driving before as a precaution.

i really cant say whats going on ....i dont know if the Jamaica boys are getting problems

the cars were not dynoed recently they were making 302whp /260wtq on stock pistons , emanage , t3t4 60trim garret
now forged on full management on much more aggressive tunes i guess the torque came up much more than we expected

or maybe its time for a twin plate:p

TheStarletGT

Member +
That clutch looks like garbage.

I have never seen a clutch plate with yellow contaminated stuff on the grip side. Why does the clutch have a a yellow/orange stripe going right across each pad. Strange.

John@ECC

Lifer
Go with the same competition clutch that spuddy has and you wil have no probs. I will get you a price delievered to your door.