Aluminium Radiators

tanabe

Member +
alright guys been looking at replacing my radiator. There are two which i like but don't know which one to go for :

1 TMD aluminium 40mm radiator

2 Japspeed Toyota Starlet High Flow Race Radiator 40mm

has anybody had any experience with any of these radiators either good or bad

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I can narrow it down for you, Japspeed dont have stock of there Aluminium ones and havent had for over a year.

tanabe

Member +
so japspeed have discontinued aluminum radiators for starlet, also is there any other manufacturers that make aluminum radiatiors

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Yep i supply for Japspeed and persistantly i requested stock of this radiator and they never got any. Im sure you can get Golpher ones from America for pretty cheap, Johnny C ordered one.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Yep i supply for Japspeed and persistantly i requested stock of this radiator and they never got any. Im sure you can get Golpher ones from America for pretty cheap, Johnny C ordered one.

golpher are based in asia.
they have a choice of 26mm,or 40mm.
i put an order in for one but havnt went ahead with it yet.
i needed a 26mm one due to possible clearance issues.

djmbj

Member +
i've got japspeed 40mm one fits straght in, don't leave much room though
ace at keeping the temp down, the temp never gets above quarter when flogging abut the counry roads
crap in winter though car always cold no heat out the heaters an takes about a mounth to defrost i'd get a small civic one or stick to stock
unless your on a race track theres no need for a 40 mm.. i'm going back to stock i think,, if you still want one i'll sell mine 115 quid posted

Paul_JJ

Member +
ace at keeping the temp down, the temp never gets above quarter when flogging abut the counry roads
crap in winter though car always cold no heat out the heaters an takes about a mounth to defrost i'd get a small civic one or stick to stock
unless your on a race track theres no need for a 40 mm.. i'm going back to stock i think,, if you still want one i'll sell mine 115 quid posted

Mate what difference the radiator makes if you have a proper thermostat??????? It will not make any difference AT ALL - to warm up the car if you have a thermostat in (standard 82C) - it simply won't open till your engine is 82C!

I would go for the thickest possible - as this would give better cooling!

Fatman

Member +

You need a new thermostat. Radiator capacity shouldn't affect warming up any more than a very slight amount. Flogging it around on 1/4 on the gauge is NOT GOOD, your oil temps will be too low to work properly amongst a myriad of other issues. Not to mention you'll be running in cold start at all times and pissing huge amounts of fuel away.

dark_knight

Member +
@Fatman: i'm running w/out a thermostat atm but i've made it a conscious effort to let my volcano of an engine warm up for about 7 mins each time before take-offs when i have to go out on cold mornings. if i have to leave for a sprint on a sunny day, i run below 2k revs until my temp gauge is nice and warm before thrashing it. i'm running 0.6bar on a ct9b with 15w-40 oil in the block and a stock rad and stock rad cap at 0.9bar. would you say i'm playing safe enough..? :)

reason for removing the thermo in the first place was/is coz it's more often than not ridiculously sweltering hot here and instances when i'm in traffic, the fan will come on almost every 5 mins but as soon as i'm moving again, my temp needle drops.. and the engine is happier so i'd say that was a wise choice and i'm helping prolong my engines' lifespan..? :D

sx_turbo

Lifer
as far as i'm aware only autobahn and sard do 40mm rads.

any way i have had both the autobahn 40mm rad and the golpher 26mm rad, and the cooling was better with the autobahn 40mm rad,

the problem with the 40mm rad is that its an extremely tight fit with anything above a ct9

with the 40mm rad the temps would stay constantly at 82 degrees no matter what the weather

the 26mm rad, the temps were 82 on cold days and 85 on warm and hot days

82 degrees is the thermostat temp

Last edited:

djmbj

Member +
cheers for that i'll get a new thermostat, just thought the radiator was really fu*king good at keeping temps down never thought about me thermostat been fu*ked

Paul_JJ

Member +
@Fatman: i'm running w/out a thermostat atm but i've made it a conscious effort to let my volcano of an engine warm up for about 7 mins each time before take-offs when i have to go out on cold mornings. if i have to leave for a sprint on a sunny day, i run below 2k revs until my temp gauge is nice and warm before thrashing it. i'm running 0.6bar on a ct9b with 15w-40 oil in the block and a stock rad and stock rad cap at 0.9bar. would you say i'm playing safe enough..? :)

reason for removing the thermo in the first place was/is coz it's more often than not ridiculously sweltering hot here and instances when i'm in traffic, the fan will come on almost every 5 mins but as soon as i'm moving again, my temp needle drops.. and the engine is happier so i'd say that was a wise choice and i'm helping prolong my engines' lifespan..? :D

NEver been to Africa but can imagine that is very hot out there! You still need a thermostat - lol, as already mentioned the most efficient temperature for this engine's is 95C - you will never get it without a thermostat - I'd say you damaging the engine as oil doesn't get hot enough! Put a TRD thermostat on and Be a happy man!

sx_turbo

Lifer
- lol, as already mentioned the most efficient temperature for this engine's is 95C -

not really,

the optimum is 72 degrees c, but this is no good for a road car, as it keeps the oil to cold,

so the compromise is 82 degrees c

95 degrees c is the maximum temperatures you should be seeing

pig666eon

Member +
i have a source there in japan who sells them they work out 260-280 euro delivered and would be cheaper if there was a group ect if anyone is interested let me know i can get proper figures pm me

Johnny_C

Lifer
i have a source there in japan who sells them they work out 260-280 euro delivered and would be cheaper if there was a group ect if anyone is interested let me know i can get proper figures pm me
what brand??
as i can get them a right bit cheaper than that,esp through a group buy.
just waiting on a mod to get back to me to see if he'l give me the go ahead to do it.
as far as im aware,group buys arnt allowed on the site unless you are a trader??