Bad News...

milloman

Member +
Right, Toyota did a coolant flush and compression test, dry compo test returned 165 ish for ... THREE of the cylinders... the other one, 135.... uh-oh... PS. anyone remember who this glanza used to belong to? lol.

Anyway... just after a bit of advice, as it sounds like i need a rebuild... what are the cost implications (i.e. parts & hours labour for a good mechanic) of the following?

- Engine transplant (cost of block, usually about £400 from someone? how much to fit?)

- Engine rebuild with standard parts? Toyota advised 12 hours labour @ £100 per hour... lovely

- Engine rebuild with forged pistons and conrods

I'm running a TD04 setup on this, so do bare that in mind. Bigger injectors too... do ask any questions, but i'd really like to know which you guys think is the 'best' option to go for: clearly, i need it fixed, but it'd be good to uprate/get more bhp out of it all if the cost difference isn't too bad?

Thoughts/Advice? :) - obviously i'm so so delighted to hear its buggered :)

Big_Daddy

Member +
If the car feels fine and dont smoke leave it. A rebuild cost around a 2 grand with piston/rod/ pump ect. If you have the cash rebuild it. so far i know dave and toyutning do it, an some other traders too.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
depends wat you want mate really, if you wanna push for bigger power then a rebuild would be best bet,

do you still wanna run standardish boost?

then i would if funds allow get your engine rebuilt.

if not much money then get a 2nd hander and swap it over

milloman

Member +
@ spuddy, YES £100! it's INSANE!

@ the rest, whatever happens to it i'll be pushing the boost up, how much by depends on what i go for.

Next step i guess, enquire with dave burwash about going forged, i see £1650 on his site... and i'll plonk a post in the wanted section for an engine.

Any idea how much labour it'd take to get the engine swapped? T'is a bummer tho :(

@big Lad... it is smoking now :(

sx_turbo

Lifer
right firstly

parts for a standard rebuild will cost a max of £500, it can be rebuilt with the engine still in place i would say labour for this would be about £700-1k.

do NOT get toyota to do it.

alternatively get dave burwash to build your engine, i cant recomend him enough mate, he will charge you £1650 for a basic rebuild inc parts and labour.

to just replace the engine the block will cost you say about £500. another £250 to get it fitted (not by toyota), problem with doing this is that you could be possibly buying another engine that isnt in good condition and be back here in a couple of months with the same problem.

the other thing is i would get some new engine management if i were you. emma never got round to getting this tuned properly, and then sold the car and sold the engine management she had bought seperately.

GTdan

In The Closet
just buy benj's forged engine, get it skimmed, then fit.

forged engine for under a grand roughly!!

bargain!

milloman

Member +
right firstly

parts for a standard rebuild will cost a max of £500, it can be rebuilt with the engine still in place i would say labour for this would be about £700-1k.

do NOT get toyota to do it.

alternatively get dave burwash to build your engine, i cant recomend him enough mate, he will charge you £1650 for a basic rebuild inc parts and labour.

to just replace the engine the block will cost you say about £500. another £250 to get it fitted (not by toyota), problem with doing this is that you could be possibly buying another engine that isnt in good condition and be back here in a couple of months with the same problem.

the other thing is i would get some new engine management if i were you. emma never got round to getting this tuned properly, and then sold the car and sold the engine management she had bought seperately.

Firstly to address the engine management, i was planning to do this before the smoking issue came about, got a local that'll map it for me using AEM stuff. So hopefully i can still do this.

Secondly, yes an enquiry to Dave is going to happen as soon as i get a chance to today. i'll see what comes of that.

Good point re: engine transplant... it'll be cheaper to begin with but is quite possible to cost me more in the long run... at least once the engine is rebuilt i'm effectively starting from scratch.

Cheers for your advice so far everyone :)

milloman

Member +
just buy benj's forged engine, get it skimmed, then fit.

forged engine for under a grand roughly!!

bargain!

Link link link?? Who's Benj? i thought i was the only Benji in the world :D (maybe what mummy told me isn't true :( )

milloman

Member +
Just spoke to Darren @ StarletGTTurbo, given me two good options and he's gonna get back to me. Thanks for your help on this guys, i'll tell you whatever option i decide to go for!

:)

sx_turbo

Lifer
Just spoke to Darren @ StarletGTTurbo, given me two good options and he's gonna get back to me. Thanks for your help on this guys, i'll tell you whatever option i decide to go for!

:)

out of any of the options, imo, darren and dave b would be my choices, whether there forging it or just refreshing it :)

good luck with it though dude

milloman

Member +
Cheers guys... its a cost weigh up - if i didn't have to sort out engine management too then i'd be 100% sure about going forged... but i've gotta factor in at least £600 for that to be sorted too :( bummer.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
If you can afford it just now I'd get your engine rebuilt with nicey shiney forged bits from Dave. If you don't have the money try to get a decent secondhand engine and fit it, then you'll still have your old lump which can be rebuilt once uou can afford to.

That's what I did, it cost me £250 for a decent running engine and I fitted it myself, then later I'll possibly forge the other one.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Another option to Dave is us, we have huge experience with over 50 forged engines out there under our belts. If you want to discuss any options let us know regardless of where you get the work done would be happy to help even to offer friendly, impartial advice.

There are an abundance of people running our engines on this forum for over two years without a hickup.

http://www.toytuning.com/workshop

Best Regards,

Toby

Big_Daddy

Member +
Cheers guys... its a cost weigh up - if i didn't have to sort out engine management too then i'd be 100% sure about going forged... but i've gotta factor in at least £600 for that to be sorted too :( bummer.

Just run standard boost, on the forge engine (good way to wear it in). When you have the cash, boost it up.