CCM Short Shifter Review

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Thought I'd put up a small review so people know what to expect from Chris's latest performance mod.

I fitted one of these units yesterday, the installation is extremely simple, I managed it myself and the total installation, including removing the stock shifter took at the most 15 mins. Thats from having zero knowledge of the stock shifter unit, or knowing how to get to it!

With this unit you absolutely know its a short shifter, its alot tighter than the TRD unit. The gear changes or so tight together now compaired to the stock unit, and the feel of it feels alot more racey and the changes are very accurate, not like some reports I've heard about some other units.

As most of you know on here, my current setup is extermely laggy, 1.5bar around 5000rpm, on the 1/4mile I used to have to really work to keep the car on boost. I've tested the car and the changes are that fast, the car doesn't drop revs or even come off boost! I've never had traction issues in 3rd gear before in dry conditions, but changing from 2nd to 3rd now is keeping the car on enough boost to immediatly send 3rd into a spin, so thats a ton of power its carrying over.

My next outting at the 1/4mile is on Sunday, and from this one simple, cheap mod, I am definatly convinced its going to shave off quite a chunk of time from my current best, I'll post up my best time Sunday night for a comparison, current best is 13.4secs.

I hope this helps any buyers considering this unit.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Sounds great pal. Ive been interested in one of these units, just gonna wait another month or so before i get one. Thanks for your review mate, youve made me want one more now :p

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I hope I've helped, with any new unit on the market, it's hard to know if they're any good until someone speaks up.

GT_Irl

Member +
sounds good! I feel silly asking this but ive never experienced one so I dont know...but is there really that much of a difference??? I never felt that my stock changes were exactly slack y'kno? by the way Chris, excellent price..well tempted;)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
sounds good! I feel silly asking this but ive never experienced one so I dont know...but is there really that much of a difference??? I never felt that my stock changes were exactly slack y'kno? by the way Chris, excellent price..well tempted;)

I know what you mean. There is an insaine amount of difference in the travel needed to select each gear, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are the gears that benifit the most from a unit like this, however all gears are vastily improved.

When your next in your car and parked up, put the car in first and then put it into second, theres alot of travel needed on the stick with a stock unit. With this unit, I can't be exact but its only a few cm's of travel.

GT_Irl

Member +
I know what you mean. There is an insaine amount of difference in the travel needed to select each gear, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are the gears that benifit the most from a unit like this, however all gears are vastily improved.

When your next in your car and parked up, put the car in first and then put it into second, theres alot of travel needed on the stick with a stock unit. With this unit, I can't be exact but its only a few cm's of travel.

cool cool, I understand a bit more now. Cheers for writing up the review, its very well described dude! I finally got on top of my funds situation so lookin around for thigs too spend on..very twmpted by one of these! rep'd

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Thanks :) my English typing skills leave alot to be desired lol, maybe the wine is helping tonight :p

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Sounds very good Spuddy, now if Chris would only get an ep91 kit sorted! My comrade C's kit is getting slacker than, well.... a very slack thing!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Spuddy, you think you could post a pic of it all fitted? Is there any difference in the height of the gear nob, or is it just shorter shifting distance?

A

Animal GT

Spuddy, you think you could post a pic of it all fitted? Is there any difference in the height of the gear nob, or is it just shorter shifting distance?

another excuse ticked of the list for ya now man:p:haha::haha: quicker gear change

no but they are a good mod to have!
am sure its a great product

Fatman

Member +
I take it this adds length to the shifter below the pivot point? Any other changes?

I know what you mean about EP91 shifters, very difficult to disassemble/reassemble in comparison to the EP82 or especially EP71.

Sounds like a great product and a fair whack cheaper than TRD :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'm sure I can get a pic up, when I get home later tonight. Basically its longer below the pivot point. The shifter remains in the same location/height.

bumblebee

Member +
i've been trying to get in contact with chris for one of these but he's not replyin to my pm's..anyone know how else i could get in contact with him

Rory

Lifer
Chriss is having trouble with internet access at the moment, he will get back to asap. :)

i've been trying to get in contact with chris for one of these but he's not replyin to my pm's..anyone know how else i could get in contact with him