DIY: digital air intake temp

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i was looking into an air intake temp and came accross this... looks not bad apart from the fact that im not sure if it will seal perfectly with a wire comeing from an intercooler pipe... but maybe the silicone will seal it.

LINK!

what you guys think? air intake temps are expensive.. id rather buy something more usefull :\

Spoonz

Member +
your right the silicone will seal that mate no problem has the wire is so thin it wont cause an issue. they maybe expensive but then like your other thread aboyt the ic pipes bein hot u wanna see what your intake temps are and it will also help wen turning up boost on bigger trubos to see where it starts producing heat

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
your right the silicone will seal that mate no problem has the wire is so thin it wont cause an issue. they maybe expensive but then like your other thread aboyt the ic pipes bein hot u wanna see what your intake temps are and it will also help wen turning up boost on bigger trubos to see where it starts producing heat

yes but im sure the IC pipes are getting hot cos of the rad fan blowing on them and being a civic rad its more ON then usual... the IC pipe at the part of the intercooler is cold! so intercooler is doing its job. so i heat wraped my IC pipe now but didnt try it as i need to change water pump and mountings...

was thinking of something like this cheap just to get an idea... but i canot find an exact one like the guy on the supra used :( or at least somthing very similar!

Spoonz

Member +
ahh i see that wud prob explain that.

Have u had a look on ebay has im sure theres some floating around on there at a reasonable price

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
ahh i see that wud prob explain that.

Have u had a look on ebay has im sure theres some floating around on there at a reasonable price

yep i did... didnt find any... or im stupid using ebay? lol

i realy want one like that haha... looks good easy to do.. even if you dont really need it its an extra gadget in your car :p

CMR

Member +
Just browsing on that aus forum, the majority seem to be around 19~ and drive a supra.
I guess insurance costs are slightly less over there lol?

350ep70gr

Member +
If you dont want a fancy gaget you can try to steel IAT signal and pass it in a temp gauge. (Just a thought. Dont know if can be done for sure or will disturb ecu readings but i guess when in paralel conection will not).

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
If you dont want a fancy gaget you can try to steel IAT signal and pass it in a temp gauge. (Just a thought. Dont know if can be done for sure or will disturb ecu readings but i guess when in paralel conection will not).

Chris

but how would i know that the signal the iat is putting out matches the guage input signal?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
ok found the perfect one. with battrey voltage also.. looks nice like a small turbo timer slim and display lights up.

link

Ben89

Lifer
was gunna try that but after looking it to it it was just easier and cheaper to get a cheap lcd display off ebay and mod that to fit.

starlet666

Member +
Just browsing on that aus forum, the majority seem to be around 19~ and drive a supra.
I guess insurance costs are slightly less over there lol?

mate out insurance on turbo imports in stupid..... my starlet is crazy

its a 91 model and to have full cover is about 4000 aussie dollars a year.....:mad:

in 24 and have never had an accident or claim.... ever.....

but whats wrong with being 19 and owning a sweet car???

since getting my licence at 17 i have owned

a celica st184 with a turbo dunno what power it was always road tuned
a twin turbo v8 ford 800hp
a toyota aristo 500ish hp
a s15 silvia 360hp
and 2 vl commodores (they have nissan rb30et's standard)
one runs 10 second's one has run a 9....... 520hp and 750hp respectively.....
plus on top are the daily drivers i have had......
including a yamaha r1
a cbr 1000
and also had a hayabusa for 6 months b4 i got bored with it

so yes i know about insurance here..... atm i have the starlet and the 2 vls and my insurance bill each year would b totally stupid if they were all insured as vl commodores are australias most stolen car...... both of them have had quotes of 5000 or more just because of the amount of mods done..... and as they are rarely driven they are not insured and they starlet is only covered for 10 000 dollars and it costs me 2000 a year still :(

in saying that we have alot of very high paying jobs here..... i get paid 1800 dollars a week at current and one of my last jobs as a mine site trainer was 200 k a year salary + a work car as a daily driver....... did that for 2 years

Dave.

Member +
I'd just be worried that it came free from the wire at some point, I doubt an engine would like that little bit of plastic inside it...

Dave