handbrake sticking on??

garyfh

Member +
every since the snow and heavy frost my handbrake decides to f#$k with my emotions and stick on.. :mad: Wat wud the cause of this be and how would i sort it??

Galen

Lifer
every since the snow and heavy frost my handbrake decides to f#$k with my emotions and stick on.. :mad: Wat wud the cause of this be and how would i sort it??

Its from the cold, same happened mine last week. I just leave it in gear now and dont use the handbrake.

Rumel786

Member +
I had the exact same problem this morning, handbrake stuck on and rear calipers froze.

All i did was get some warm water, on both calipers, kept tapping the brakes and after about 10 mins voila the handbrake was un-stuck.

Tonight i will be jacking the car up and cleaning the handbrake cable.

glanzaandy

Fresh Recruit
mine did the same the other week, i jacked up the car removed the back wheels and the spring on the rear brakes had stuck and filled with grit, so i cleaned it up and added a nice spray of wd40, to the spring, not discs or pads, and its been fine since :D

lingl9z

Member +
as above leave it in gear buddy, heard alot of different reason to why it happens but the easiest thing to do is leave it in gear

malcolmgt

Member +
yeah mine does this. i leave it in gear and if the calipers stay stuck on i rock the car back and forwards to make friction/heat and sorts it out quick

garyfh

Member +
yeah ad to do the boiling water 1 meself.. It get scary wen ur going over a weeee narrow bridge that a car just about fits on with the handbrake jammed...:eek::eek:

thanks lads for the help

durmz

Member +
i usually just drive it for a while with it on :haha: then it warms up and unsticks, also found that when moving keep yanking the hand brake on and off and it lets go.

great fun in the snow, can just about get the car moving lol

GTEP82

Member +
it happend to me as i wa just goin to work ad 2 jack car up wheels off n hot water on n lubed up the springs just leave it in gear now n the handbrake wont go on now :haha:

J25GTi

Lifer
I have this problem, and ive found a much quicker way, keep a piece of carboard in the back of your car, and use the jack handle, stick it inbetween the caliper and the handbrake mechanism and just manually pull the handbrake off,(obviously the handbrake needs to be down first!)

takes 2 seconds to do, and you are 100% sure that it has fully released

dac69er

Super Moderator
i changed the cables on mine and it made it 100 times better. i do find the mechanism on the caliper itself does tend to stick a bit now and again though :(

only in the winter with all the shit on the road though. a clean up and regrease sorts it but ill just stick to leaving it in gear and its fine then.

Gilly2006

Member +
i changed the cables on mine and it made it 100 times better. i do find the mechanism on the caliper itself does tend to stick a bit now and again though :(

only in the winter with all the shit on the road though. a clean up and regrease sorts it but ill just stick to leaving it in gear and its fine then.

yeh if you change the cables it does help alot, mine are abit knackerd and have been sticking with the cold weather so iv just had to leave the car in gear.
its been abit bad when iv forgot and its stuck on and had to drive home.
new cables me thinks and i know a place near me that supplies them for 75% of the price of Toyota.

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeh if you change the cables it does help alot, mine are abit knackerd and have been sticking with the cold weather so iv just had to leave the car in gear.
its been abit bad when iv forgot and its stuck on and had to drive home.
new cables me thinks and i know a place near me that supplies them for 75% of the price of Toyota.

i got mine off ricky ;) had to make 1 small mod to fit them as they dont actually sell them for the mk1.

my old cables had a split in them, kept filling them with wd40 in the meantime but glad i changed them. last MOT the bloke commented on the shite handbrake, works really well now!

Gilly2006

Member +
i got mine off ricky ;) had to make 1 small mod to fit them as they dont actually sell them for the mk1.

my old cables had a split in them, kept filling them with wd40 in the meantime but glad i changed them. last MOT the bloke commented on the shite handbrake, works really well now!
yeh im gona change mine soon, give you an idea how bad they are, i can put the handbrake on fully, and i can't even lock the rear wheels up on ice!

don't know they hold the car on a hill

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeh im gona change mine soon, give you an idea how bad they are, i can put the handbrake on fully, and i can't even lock the rear wheels up on ice!

don't know they hold the car on a hill

mine was pretty much like that, not its a drift machine ;)

garyfh

Member +
god dam it. it did it again. 1hr to get it sorted.. and 2 kettles of water.. i tink i may need to chage my cables :mad: