Help with new mani fitted

supernova

Member +
Hey everyone, just fitted my SPS stainless mani (great bit of kit!). But after fitting, there a strange noise whenever throttle is applied. Just wondering does it sound like a leakin gasket or something else or is it normal? Sounds like a farting noise! hahah Haev a look at the video i took:

Aga

Member +
its got a leak... did you use new gaskets? preferably toyota. if yes, then take it to a machine shop to get the two surfaces skimmed, and install it again.

Rik

Member +
How does it perform? When i first fitted mine it sounded like this and i could feel where it was blowing from, i took the car for a spin and no power whatsoever! Then i re-installed it and it still sounds like its blowing, but defo performs better. I think i need some new gaskets for it though tbh and could do with it skimming

supernova

Member +
Tbh i didn't use new gaskets cause they looked ok to me. Also because before i fitted this one, i fitted another oem mani that i ported and that was ok with the used gaskets...

GTnomez

Member +
ive got the same noise and i didnt take it off but i cudnt find any sooty deposits anywhere on the mani and i had brand new gaskets, so i dont no what it is

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
soundsl like the leak is between the head & the head flange.. well if it was from the mani itself the sound would be different..

but as alex said.. remove, check if flat & then if not skim & refit :)

Dane_Bristol

Member +
I always advise new gaskets buddy. New manifold new gaskets i would say your old gaskets are far beyond the use by date and may need replacing.

Yeah really sounds like a blow. I would replace the gaskets and do the nuts up tight and see where you go from there :).

Hi,

I would also advise stripping it apart again and putting in new gaskets. I doubt your manifold requires skimming but Id say have some sanding paper to hand to even out the flange on the head and flanges on your downpipe (if its a used one), but be careful to not over sand any part. When tightening up again tighten each nut equally and hopefully it should be fine.