Hi, just bought my first starlet

craiggt4

Member +
I've just bought a 1996 Glanza.

Was looking for a clean, low mileage example, found one and went to look at it yesterday.
It was a white glanza, 49000 miles, in excellent condition inside and out.

Only problem was it was an automatic which wasnt in the advert.

I was disapointed but took it for a test drive and was blown away by the car!
Despite being an auto It went like stink.
With the power setting on the gearbox and on the high turbo setting its hard to keep it in a straight line!

I decided to buy it as im using it as my everyday driver and I dont do many miles and living in london im always sitting in traffic, so an auto might actually be a good thing.

I was wondering anyone can give me some information about auto glanza's?

Apparently theres a overdrive button on the gearstick?
And theres a red button with jap writing near the gear stick too?

Regards
Craig

stuart

Member +
Welcome to the forums mate, not too clue'd up on auto Starlet's but theres a few on the site who may be able to help!

Happy posting! :D

Jay

Admin
Welcome aboard Craig, glad you enjoyed the auto experience!

The little red button is used if you need to tow the vehicle.

The overdrive can be switched off by depressing the button on the gear selector. For the spirited driving you can use the PWR setting and leave the overdrive off. Very little will embarass you to 70mph provided you dial in the power properly with your right foot.

Alwats remember to wave on the way past. :D

craiggt4

Member +
Cheers for the replies guys!
Oops. forgot to mention the price, the guy was asking £3250 and I got it for £3000.
Only mods are catback exhaust, stainless steel air filter, 15" wolfrace alloys, TRD front splitter, window tints.

What does the overdrive button do?

Whats the difference between power and manual gearbox setting?

Craig

Jay

Admin
A quick guide to the autobox:

The ECT-S is an electronic transmission control system to change the characteristics of the autobox.

When neither button is lit it is in 'normal' mode.

With MANU selected it will change at low revs smoothly with little urgency applied to the kickdown.

PWR mode is your sport setting. Kickdown is more aggressive and it will hold the revs to redline.

The overdrive button on the gear lever turns on and off your economy gear on the autobox.

Quite simply: Economy driving is best done in MANU mode with the overdrive on. Fast road & race will require overdrive off and the PWR mode selected.

Enjoy watching the stickshifters struggling next to you on the dragstrip whilst you chill out and adjust your sunglasses with your free hand.

craiggt4

Member +
LOL, I was quite surprised how quick it was, especially for an auto.

This is my first auto and my left leg and arm arent quite used to not doing anything yet!

How do I know when the overdrive is on or not? Is it on when the button is pushed in and off when out?

Sorry to be a pain.

Craig

Craig

Lifer
Welcome. Jay is the man to talk to about Auto Starlets! I've always thought "What's the point in getting a car like this in an auto", but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Happy driving!