Issue with off-duty police officer

parkiboy

Member +
Bit pissed off today, had a bit of a run-in with an off duty police officer and wanted your opinions whether you think anything will come of it or if i should do anything?

This morning i was behind a blue astra waiting to join a big motorway roundabout where the traffic generally reaches 50-60mph, me and the astra joined the roundabout and he reached a max speed of around 30mph.. but i thought ok ill roll with that and just stayed behind him.

However when we came off the roundabout onto the slip road he still only went 40mph.. now theres nothing that pisses me off more than people who dont get up to speed on a slip road, its stupid and dangerous, so i pulled into the other lane to undertake him, as i was under taking the guy put his foot down.... This is where i got a bit of rage and thought this guys just taking the piss now so i carried on goin and cut him up, he beeped his horn, flagging me off etc..

I stayed in the slow lane of the motorway and as he passed me i looked over to see who the prat was and as i did i saw him flashing a police badge in his window with a smug grin on his face.. what a tosser eh?? :mad:

do you think anything will come of it and where would i stand legally?

thanks

J

*JO*

if a police officer has made you race then that is illegal and you can use that against them they done it to my mate in an undercover evo by sitting on his back bumper and causing him to speed but he got out of it cause the police officers actions were dangerous and they are doing it to alot of people to try and intrap them and then pull them. to be honest he was prob just being smug and frightening you. if he wanted he could have called ahead and got you pulled.

i wouldnt worry to much to be honest cause he was in the wrong to

xxx

KrissyB

Member +
you will be fine matey dont worry its your word against his. His just flexing his muscles in terms of him being a Police officer, flashing his badge .....:holdit: what a knob

Beaker

Member +
I know you all seem to have something against the police on here but the police man did nothing illegal, just drove below the speed limit (heaven forbid!). Whereas parkiboy undertook the policeman which is illegal.
I very much doubt anything will happen.

scot-ish

Member +
i would be very wary of this, people say your word against them blah blah, i got banned from driving for careless, with the statements of only 2 civilians in one car claiming my driving was dangerous, and put in an elaborate story,

but i think if something was to happen to you, as said, they would have prob had you stopped further down the road

whiteglanzav

Member +
he cant do n e thin a part from report you like a civilian would as he was off duty, and technically not a copper

Craig_GT

Lifer
My mate got a 12month ban due to an off duty officer and a civilian givin statements, even althought my mate had a witness to back him up.
He came out a petrol station sideways, he blamed it on a diesel spillage but still got fooked for it.

Craig

ninja1270

Member +
He shouldn't of needed to undertake if the Astra was in the correct lane.
Pisses me off when people sit in the wrong lane. :shoot:
Sure it will be ok mate:)

KrissyB

Member +
i would be very wary of this, people say your word against them blah blah, i got banned from driving for careless, with the statements of only 2 civilians in one car claiming my driving was dangerous, and put in an elaborate story,

but i think if something was to happen to you, as said, they would have prob had you stopped further down the road

you missed the point there was two people against you matey 2vs1 the outcome speaks for its self.

Driving silly slow onto a slip is dangerous

scot-ish

Member +
you missed the point there was two people against you matey 2vs1 the outcome speaks for its self.

Driving silly slow onto a slip is dangerous

2vs 1 indeed, a husband and wife, and in my car, was me and my gf, and the police claimed my gf's statement wasnt worth anything due to her not holding a driving license, so how could she comment on wether my driving was careless or not, point being, in my mind, i was stitched up by a coppers mate, and if they want to get you, 9/10 they will get you..

in this case, undertaking an off duty copper, is dodgey, and he could, if he wanted have you done, im sure he knows all the right things to say for that to happen,

GTti

Member +
It is illegal, it's dangerous driving. However I fully agree that driving slowly on a slip road can be equally dangerous.

Nothing will come of it, police constables are never off duty though, they are obliged to become involved if they whiteness illegal activities.

But they don't have any proof. I'd have undertaken them and driven TO the speed limit, but only if I deemed it safe and knew I wouldn't cut anyone up.

danturbo4311

Member +
In the UK it is legal to undertake but only in certain conditions like if the traffic in the other lane (e.g on a motorway) is going slower than your lane providing you dont exceed the speed limit, there are other exceptions to like if the person in front is turning right or on one way streets. Theres no actual undertaking law, however it depends on the circumstances, a police officer could class it as reckless driving. The officer in this case should of known better than to start speeding up, as he could of caused an accident

ikzgtt

Member +
nothing will happen mate, i have had much worse happen with off duty coppers and i can assure you nothing will come of it.

i came back from france last year with the renault racing club and we were hammering it from dover to luton, an undercover copper on a bike tried to block us off and then he started to wave his badge and ushered us to pull over. we sped up to 140 mph and as we knew he would get in front, we waited for the next slip road and when he had just passed it, we left on it so he couldnt chase us or have us blocked off at the next services.

heard nothing of it and there were more than 10 cars involved.

far as you are concerned, he could have been anyone mate, fake badge etc...
he will not report you, 110%

alot of car jackings in manchester are done in this manner with fake badges etc then when you get out, bang, ko'd and your car is gone!

Dave.

Member +
As above, don't worry about it.

He'll just be trying to wind you up, don't take the bait! :)

Gee

Member +
An off duty copper got smug with me once.

His was right up my ass in a 40 zone driving a convertible BMW, so after the the speed camera that was on the road I floored it and left him for dust.

Came to the next traffic lights and he gestures for me to wind down my window, he then pulls out his ID and says:

'West Yorkshire Police. When did that road turn into a 70?'

Me - It never.

'Well don't let me catch you speeding again.'

Me - OK bye.

He following me for a few streets before turning off. Nothing came of it.