New project based on a BMW! Need some ideas!

350ep70gr

Member +
Hi guys

I will start a new project later this year based on my BMW 316 e36 chassis.
I am going to spend 10-15 k euros on it but for the finished product including everything ,tyres, suspension, new engine,managment and everything neccesary to be ready to go to the drag lights..:p
Whatever engine i will put in it will go forge and turbo and full rebuilt prior installation.
I was wondering what are the available options of engine selection,gearbox,and differential,suspension ,forged parts,etc without too much of chassis modification to put them in.
All opinions are welcome...as i really dont know much on the BMWs.
Any links of where i can buy engine etc will be welcome aswell.
I want a result powerfull for the strate line only..;)

Chris

The E36 six cylinder BMW engines such as the M52 from the 328 and S52 from the M3 are capable of taking upto a bar of boost with an uprated headgasket and studs. Have a look here wwwbimmerforums.com the yanks can get silly power out of them once forged.

350ep70gr

Member +
e46 M3 engine then bolt on a supercharger and all the bells and whistles :rockon:
not going to be cheap tho
Mark e46 M3 is very pricey here in greece. I was thinking the same engine or an older M5 one.
Do you know what is envolved impoting a car as spare part to Greece?
Can you find me anything..after summer mate?

The E36 six cylinder BMW engines such as the M52 from the 328 and S52 from the M3 are capable of taking upto a bar of boost with an uprated headgasket and studs. Have a look here wwwbimmerforums.com the yanks can get silly power out of them once forged.

Mate thanks for the link. I will have a look at it straight away..

Rep added both of you.

Chris

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Sounds like a good idea buddy :)

Here in malta a popular engine to use in the e36 is to drop a 2jz-gte.. the stock engine is good for around 490bhp.. not to mention from the states u can buy EVERYTHING from cams to bolts to steel cranks etc, & ud probably find they are very very cheap.. a mate bought a set of hks stage 2 cams (brand new from hks dealer) for 219usd... which i thought was crazy, but damn .. :haha:

ud have to modify the firewall slightly, but it fits nicely :)

well thats my 2p :)
kon

350ep70gr

Member +
Sounds like a good idea buddy :)

Here in malta a popular engine to use in the e36 is to drop a 2jz-gte.. the stock engine is good for around 490bhp.. not to mention from the states u can buy EVERYTHING from cams to bolts to steel cranks etc, & ud probably find they are very very cheap.. a mate bought a set of hks stage 2 cams (brand new from hks dealer) for 219usd... which i thought was crazy, but damn .. :haha:

ud have to modify the firewall slightly, but it fits nicely :)

well thats my 2p :)
kon

LoL toyota under the hood yea..:rockon:
Many people fit some honda lump aswell..
But i need something more original..More BMRrrr.. so i can import a car and tranfer the lot to my chassis without too much hassle..(mean wiring etc)

Chris

ktop

Fresh Recruit
Chris, I think you don't need much to import a car as spare parts, I have the impression (you need to ask to customs) that you don't pay any tax in Greece for spare parts!

Texx

Super Moderator
I wouldn't bother with the M52, premature bore wear isn't uncommon due to the nikasil lined aluminium cylinders and there'd be too much messing around when trying to set the Vanos up once turbo'd. I'd go for a M50B25 engine from a '91-'92 E36, 24 valves with normal functionality and a good solid cast iron block (don't bother with the 525's version though, it was basically the prototype for the M52).

gedis

Member +
make sure you get rear or the car reinforced as i seen few 316/318 shels braking them with just plain m3(e46) engine in it and some hard driving

Ben89

Lifer
Mate of mine has an e30 with a sierra cossie yb engine in it, running a forged engine and 400bhp, it's quite a handful and the engine sits in the bay lovely!!

sam_glanz

Member +
YB cosworth lump, long stud, WRC head gasket standard L8 management with a MSD chip, build the car for 450bhp, i.e t38 turbo, injectors, fuel system and they will send you out a chip to match, plug in it away you go on a running engine, mouting it up shouldn't be to hard, you know what your doing chris :)

Get your self over to pasion ford forum, there lots of lads on there with bmw's with YB's droped in :)

Sam