No Sparky Spark......

Rory

Lifer
Car was running fine, popped into Tesco's for shopping, went to go home and it wouldnt start.
Had a jiggery pokery with the ECU plugs and it fired up. No evidence of loose wires etc.

Got home fine, switched it off, next day it would not start again...

Tried more jiggery pokery, but to no avail.

Confirmed no spark at the plugs.
Getting fuel though.
Cap and arm both ok

We have 12v signal to the coil and to the ECU (Switched live) and the ECU is grounded.

Tried another coil lead, again no diffirence.
Tried another coil pack, again no diffirence.
Tried fault finding on the ECU with a multimeter, nothing wrong
Tried shifting it back onto the STD ECU, same problem...
All blade fuses checked, all ok
Diagnostic check came up with nothing (constant flashing)

Any other ideas, befoar a gallon of petrol is brought into play.....

Ta
Rory

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
mine fails to start sometimes as my tps is off at the moment im getting it calibrated this weekend

weeJohn

Lifer
Do you want regular or super unleaded for it Rory lol.

I would have a good look at the plug pins, from the side of the plugs that goes into the ecu. Look for a pin with a wider gap than the others as it sounds like a connection problem.

Rory

Lifer
TPS is fine buddy :)

mine fails to start sometimes as my tps is off at the moment im getting it calibrated this weekend

Super John, it will burn quicker!! :haha:

Its odd as hell, even checked the Voltage to the cap and it was 11,000 with ignition on and the 8000 cranking.
Both cap and arm were replaced under 1000 miles ago. Tried another cap, nothing. Not tried a arm yet.
Ill have a look at the plug though for any big gaps in them, if there is how the fek do you get them out to give them a nip?

Do you want regular or super unleaded for it Rory lol.

I would have a good look at the plug pins, from the side of the plugs that goes into the ecu. Look for a pin with a wider gap than the others as it sounds like a connection problem.

rage

Lifer
i've had a similar problem with my car when i swapped the engine.
engine would cut out all of a sudden and wouldn't start anymore. turned out to be a loose connection in a wire on the plug that attaches to the distributor cap.

bit of jiggery pokery and she would start again. and sometimes cut out again.

scot-ish

Member +
i would be looking at crank pickup. sure its in the dizzy on these?

unfortuantely, seems like a tempramental fucker, the ecu jiggery, might just have been a coincedence.

there is a post somewhere from Jay, in another problem thread where he explain the circuit the car must make itself, before it will allow a spark. i just cant find it on here. but i know its somewhere.

Rory

Lifer
Good call, ill check that tomorow evening :)

i've had a similar problem with my car when i swapped the engine.
engine would cut out all of a sudden and wouldn't start anymore. turned out to be a loose connection in a wire on the plug that attaches to the distributor cap.

bit of jiggery pokery and she would start again. and sometimes cut out again.

Aye your right, the dizzy has the crank pickup inbuilt.
Your telling me, nothing but issues this year with it :(, must admit its the first time in 5 years to be honest.
Ill go have a look and see what i can find.

i would be looking at crank pickup. sure its in the dizzy on these?

unfortuantely, seems like a tempramental fucker, the ecu jiggery, might just have been a coincedence.

there is a post somewhere from Jay, in another problem thread where he explain the circuit the car must make itself, before it will allow a spark. i just cant find it on here. but i know its somewhere.

Chris@CCM

Member +
check ur trigger wiring from the dizzy to the ecu , wiring from coil to ing amp and ing amp wiring to ecu gota be a problem in there some were dude

weeJohn

Lifer
The pins can be removed in some of the ecu plugs, if the plug has a flap at the wiring side you can lift it and stick a pin into the top of the pin to push down the barb that holds it in.

If its not one of those then just try and stick a pin in the ecu end to catch the side of the core pin and push it across.

If you open up an ecu and plug the plugs in you could run a meter across from the plug to the bent metal connectors inside the ecu. It will show you if there is any not making then. Worthwhile having a look at the solder joint inside the ecu while its open.

Rory

Lifer
Its weird though as im getting 11,000 volts to the dizzy.

Mine wouldn't spark when my igniter failed.

Thats my next poert of call Chris, its the only wiring i didnt check last night, everything is fine until the dizzy, then the problem starts there...

check ur trigger wiring from the dizzy to the ecu , wiring from coil to ing amp and ing amp wiring to ecu gota be a problem in there some were dude

Thanks John, ill take a look later on regarding the pins etc

The pins can be removed in some of the ecu plugs, if the plug has a flap at the wiring side you can lift it and stick a pin into the top of the pin to push down the barb that holds it in.

If its not one of those then just try and stick a pin in the ecu end to catch the side of the core pin and push it across.

If you open up an ecu and plug the plugs in you could run a meter across from the plug to the bent metal connectors inside the ecu. It will show you if there is any not making then. Worthwhile having a look at the solder joint inside the ecu while its open.

You have no idea buddy :mad:

nae again bud call me if u need any parts

Rory

Lifer
I forgot to check for power at the dizzy buddy (erse that i am)
Thats on the agenda for tonight. :D

If i get stuck i may give you a phone :)