oil pressure - how much is yours running?

how much oil pressure when running WOT

• 4 - 4,5

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • 5 - 5,5

Votes: 9 47.4%

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Aga

Member +
i've had a hunch for some time, and after an experiment i did was successful, i'm gonna share the results with you guys. but first i wanna make a poll. to those who have oil pressure gauges: how much oil pressure are you running when you ve got the pedal to the metal, high revs and boosting?

GTti

Member +
If I'm WOT then I can't say my attention is turned to oil pressure!

Normall running hot it's at least 4.

danturbo4311

Member +
i have'd had excellent pressure since i rebuilt engine & ground the crank new o/s bearings its never dropped below 30psi even on hot idle WOT just under 6bar. when i had a problem with my oil pump before the rebuild it used to sit at just under a bar on hot idle. and 4bar WOT.

Aga

Member +
allright.normally our cars when warm (100c oil) idle at 2-2.5 cruise around 3.5-4 and wot around 4.5

if you look around on engineering books, thats what they say its common for most cars too.

i've had an oil pressure sensor on my car since the 1st forged rebuild, but the wiring was faulty somewhere and wasnt getting a reading. bored as i was, i didnt bother to pull wires etc. to fix it. Until my engine was damaged , due to lack of lubrication (last mechanic didnt change the oil pump for a new one) no big deal, a new block, same internals and a full rebuild later, i decided to add a new defi oil pressure gauge to the mix. the new mechanic said "in case the oil pressure regulator spring is old and tired, i will give it a stretch so it will work a bit higher pressure, for safety's sake"

the new engine was all good and reliable, but not as powerful as the old one. in fact,a lot less powerful. last one was 287 hp and 33kgm at 1.6 bar,and this one 278 and 28kgm ,sameboost

also, despite the fact that the new engine was a higher compression one, the car was like... struggling a bit. didnt have the effortless power of the last one.

oil pressure was 5 bar when cruising , 6 on WOT and 3 bar on idle. i thought about it and said i'll give it a try. i went to toyota and ordered a new oil pressure regulator, (25 euros) and installed it. filled er up with motul 10-40 and off we go

totally different car! the slow town cruising is effortless , the car runs along happily even when the oil is cold, and on boost performance has improved.

ALSO, the turbo is spooling much better, as it should (i was about to buy a new one, cause i thought the turbo was to blame, but its 950 euros on nengun!!)

CAUTION for ballbearing turbo owners: garrett on their website says that ballbearing turbos MUST NOT run oil pressure over 3.5 bar, in case your car runs more than that, a restrictor must be used on the oil feed line. no damage will occur due to higher pressure, but a drop in the performance of the turbo will exist

merry christmas from greece

yo :p

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
cruise (cold to normal between) 3.8 & 4.2bar...

on wot i get between 4.6 & 5.5 bar :)

damn thats quite an impressive story alex.. i know that spring could give problems.. but damn lol...

happy xmas uncle aga :D
kon

fastglanza

Member +
Aga Please add whether u're 4e or 5e

when building a 5efte compressing the spring is a must (Aga your mechanic stretched it?) Anyways caribbean 5efte's add washers to the spring which is held by a clip..hence increasing pressure if this isnt done (90% it isnt) the 5eftes dont last whether forged or not..

i think my track race 5e runs 75psi WOT (inclusive of greddy oil cooler)

btw Garrett's are utter garbage I would buy one of those disco potatoes and when its shipped at my doorstep i'll take it and but it into the trash can (wonder if its the recycle or normal trash i should use hmmm...)

I've personally experienced and seen one after the other brand new GT units fail on the same cars as well as others....spits oil...snaps shafts and the list goes on (all ran under garrett's rules restrictors etc)

FeNder

Member +
yes it also says on the garrett website technical , a restrictor is needed if the engine achieves more than 45psi oil press on wot , in another article it states 60psi , i would go with the 45 !

Glanza_K31

Member +
ive just recently fitted my oil pressure gauge (autogauge) via a braided extension t-piece

now when my guage decides to work it reads just above 1bar on warm idle 3-4bar cruising and 5-5.5bar WOT

BUT

Most of the time the needle just flickers all over the place and also my oil warning light flickers on and off

any ideas people??? ive double checked all wires, plz help im rather paranoid!!

danturbo4311

Member +
check the wire going to the standard oil pressure switch if thats rubbed through it could be earthing out that will course the oil light to come on, do your gauges all read good readings when the oil light flickers.

Aga Please add whether u're 4e or 5e

when building a 5efte compressing the spring is a must (Aga your mechanic stretched it?) Anyways caribbean 5efte's add washers to the spring which is held by a clip..hence increasing pressure if this isnt done (90% it isnt) the 5eftes dont last whether forged or not..

i think my track race 5e runs 75psi WOT (inclusive of greddy oil cooler)

btw Garrett's are utter garbage I would buy one of those disco potatoes and when its shipped at my doorstep i'll take it and but it into the trash can (wonder if its the recycle or normal trash i should use hmmm...)

I've personally experienced and seen one after the other brand new GT units fail on the same cars as well as others....spits oil...snaps shafts and the list goes on (all ran under garrett's rules restrictors etc)

Can you explain why you do that, the relief valve is the same on 4e and 5e

Can you explain why you do that, the relief valve is the same on 4e and 5e

Dave, i would also like to hear more about this from fastglanza or whoever else.....as i'm very much a caribbean man and have built or/and have friends who have built 5efte in various specs.........and i know NONE of us have stretched or added washers to the oil pressure regulator-----and i know of seven (7) 5efte's off the top of my head running from ct9, tdo4,tdo5,gt28,t25/28......and no such problem with them not lasting ...some of these engines i speak of are about 5 years now....and to help matters some of these 5eftes are oem build and some are forged

i know in a certain caribbean territory some MAY use the washer trick to up pressure..but even there some leave the regulator as it is......NO "shimming" (adding washers) and/or NO stretching spring

as far as i can tell.,this preceived need to "shim" appears to have started when 5efte were first started to be built and there was this perception that they knocked easily.......but several people have moved away from that frame of though a long time ago now

and i have also compared both oil pressure valves in the 4e and 5e....like u said dave, they are the same to my knowledge----if i'm wrong anyone please correct me

as far as i know the US guys dont tend to shim/stretch and up the pressure on thier oem 5efhte builds either.......

i've never heard that the aus/nz guys doing it either

so i'm all ears:cool:

Last edited: