Prepare for stupid question time...

MrSkins

Fresh Recruit
G'day Glanzo's,

I am wondering what would be needed to convert a regular Glanza S '97 4E-FE engine into one with a turbo - as step by step as possible, or list.

Would like to swap with the 4E-FTE however that's just not realistic, as I can't find any wreckers with any available here in New Zealand. Plus, (I am no expert so feel free to correct here) it seems more work and almost double the cash to find that rare engine and then replace the manifolds and upgrade.

Would exchange with a Glanza already with turbo fitted, except this was a gift from my late grandpa and has way too many memories now to simply be traded off - plus the experience of doing it myself and/or with my mates would be worth way more.

Again, if I'm totally off base do inform. Have read as much info as I can handle before my brain explodes. Am not a mechanic by any means and had never read anything about cars until the last month or so, so please go easy..

Thanks for taking the time :).

best to swap with a 4efte engine complete with harness and gbox and will be hassle free. take care of brakes too, rears needs to be swapped with discs ones

MrSkins

Fresh Recruit
So that's my only option then - damn. Oh well, thanks heaps for that. Will see what I can do to upgrade suspension, brakes for now and save up in a year's time for the whole engine swap. Should go in no hassles huh. I'm running a manual and definitely not changing to auto trans.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Its much easier and much less hassel and more importantly much less cost to just find a 4EFTE engine and convert your S.

MrSkins

Fresh Recruit
Thanks heaps. If anyone in NZ knows of any decent Toyota wreckers, definately shout out and rep will be added.

gv1.3

Admin
You might find an engine easier than you think, maybe get one sent on a palette from Aus?

Also as mentioned you will want to sort the brakes, many people just get the entire Glanza V back axle from a scrapper

dark_knight

Member +
there are loads of lads here willing and able to provide you with info and ideas so may i suggest that once you have the funding available, check for & purchase the parts needed for the project then search for individual threads based on what you are doing at any particular time. if you get stuck, you could always drop us a line here to see how we can assist. i'm more than certain that the loads of topics here will at some point and in some way cover what you need to know.. :)