problem with new gearbox!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
fitted my replacement box today. all seemed ok, but.........

when alternating from 1st the reverse or reverse to 1st when maneuvering i get a slight clonk (very minor).

4 gear is a bit slack but only very very slightly. moves a small amount when you accelerate and let off, also rumbles through the gearstick in 4th.

5th gear is the worst. get around half an inch of backwards/forwards motion when i accelerate and let off. dont need to do it hard, just slightly on and off and itll move every time.

what the hell is wrong with it? has fresh oil in it.
my dad did suggest adjusting the cables if you can, just to see if that made any difference. dont know whether you can or not!?

got im pissed off, another weekend wasted :(

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well sounds like a linkage//shifter problem not actual gbox.. did u connect everything up well dunc?

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah did do. i could try my other linkage from the other box to see if that makes any difference. my dad said it could be engine mouts but i double checked that. gear linkage is pretty tight, but its just odd. there isnt really anything you can get wrong tbh.

the ohter problems arent that bad tbh, the major problem is 5th gear movement. its pretty excessive. i have a vid but its not overly clear. ill post it up in a bit

dac69er

Super Moderator
no, no crunchin on this one. had crunching in third on the last one in high revs so i changed it. this one just seems worse though, just has more problems

sx_turbo

Lifer
mine does this and also it sometimes very rarely jumps out of reverse. i've just ignored it as the car seems to drive ok,

my problem is i'm also getting another noise which is really bugging me.

dac69er

Super Moderator
just annoying that starlet gearboxes are so wank. wish i kept my otherone on now.

is there any way to adjust the linkages at all?

dac69er

Super Moderator
so basically this box is fucked?

ill have to get my other one rebuilt then i guess.

ill hav to put up with this pile of crap until the better weather now then :(

anyone else got any ideas!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
quick update. double checked everythign today and its all ok.

only major problem i have now is the 5th gear movement. my dad recons there is just too much backlash in everything. either a shim is worn or damaged, a bearing is worn or damaged or the selectors could a be a bit worn, also a possibility the the detent springs that hold the selector rods in place could have weak springs or be worn.

popped the end cover off my other box and had a look in there too see if anything looked as though it could be obviously wrong in the other box. nothing looked like it could be adjusted or tightened or anything without affecting everything else.

what a bugger :(

seems as though the movement gets worse started very, very midly in 2nd then going to 4th, which is a bit worse, then in 5th which is quite bad.

ill just put up with it for now until i can get it rebuilt unless anyone has any advice on anything to try out?

Chris@CCM

Member +
so basically this box is fucked?

ill have to get my other one rebuilt then i guess.

ill hav to put up with this pile of crap until the better weather now then :(

anyone else got any ideas!?
sounds like it to me mate hope u get it sorted

dac69er

Super Moderator
gonna try and ring a few places tomorrow and get some quotes. wanna ring the bloke who did my turbo. waiting on Dave burwash to find me his number!!!!!