running in a rebuilt ct9b

dark_knight

Member +
fellaz.. i've had my ct9b rebuilt and will be collecting & fitting it back in the car sometime before the weekend. any tips/ideas on how i should run it in..? i know there are various schools of thought when it comes to running in a rebuilt engine. how about a rebuilt turbo..?

dark_knight

Member +
oil on-the-go

alright.. although i was thinking i pluck the EFI fuse and crank it a few times to get some oil going in the system before starting as it will be coming from a completely dry spell. had taken my sump off to clean/inspect the bottom end. i found out how much oil still gets left in the pan even though it appears to have completely drained..

Iain@CRD

Lifer
alright.. although i was thinking i pluck the EFI fuse and crank it a few times to get some oil going in the system before starting as it will be coming from a completely dry spell. had taken my sump off to clean/inspect the bottom end. i found out how much oil still gets left in the pan even though it appears to have completely drained..

Yes mate, thats a must, thats priming the turbo.

Texx

Super Moderator
i was thinking i pluck the EFI fuse and crank it a few times to get some oil going in the system before starting as it will be coming from a completely dry spell.

You could do that, personally I would fill the turbo with oil and rotate the shaft a couple of times before installing it, also block the return to hold the oil in the turbo until your ready to fire the engine up.

corofin12345

Member +
You could do that, personally I would fill the turbo with oil and rotate the shaft a couple of times before installing it, also block the return to hold the oil in the turbo until your ready to fire the engine up.

what i do every time :)

Navi

Member +
Personally i woulden't bother with all this mate, the turbo doesn't even spin freely when it's cold and your just starting the engine.

Oil pressure will have oil in the turbo in a split second. Just don't rev it till it's warmed up abit.

Texx

Super Moderator
the turbo doesn't even spin freely when it's cold and your just starting the engine.

So there's no exhaust gas exiting the engine when starting it from cold? :homer:

If it's a rebuilt turbo or a turbo that's been sat on the shelf for while and so has little or no oil in it, it needs to be primed before firing the engine up.

GT_Irl

Member +

R (to the) E (to the) P (to the) D...yo!

Navi

Member +
So there's no exhaust gas exiting the engine when starting it from cold? :homer:

If it's a rebuilt turbo or a turbo that's been sat on the shelf for while and so has little or no oil in it, it needs to be primed before firing the engine up.

Yes there is m8, but its so little when just cranking and firing up the engine it just passes the turbo without turning it.

Take off you air cleaner and look into the turbo when its ice cold, you will see even when idling the turbo is probably not spinning.

Only when its warm, the bearing are warm and the oil has thinned it will spin at idle.

Some really loose turbo's or ball bearing turbo's might spin when cold, but a CT9 freshly rebuilt probably will not. Mine didn't. (And the one on my 4AGTE engine didnt too)

And then again, a rebuilt turbo has been oiled up in side when assembled, it will be fine.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
an engine fired up from cold will idle between 1500-2000rpm and that turbo will almost certainly be spinning, priming is a must imo.

dark_knight

Member +
pre-oiling

mine was oiled during assembly as i had a mess of oil in the box i'd carried it in (i didn't think it would be that much!). anyway, i primed it find and it's now working alright. smells a bit hot (like new stuff burning) but it's only very slight and goes away after the car is warm.. :)
thanks all mates. repping all.. at least those that the system will allow me to.. :D

dark_knight

Member +
white whiff

got a bit of a scare coming home today. it was still daylight and i spotted a whiff of white smoke from the rear when i was pulling away. i was in traffic idling well at ~800 revs then when i pulled away, there was that whiff of smoke. turbo is freshly rebuilt so not sure what to think. proli something else.. should i worry..?

dark_knight

Member +
oil seep?

no one got back to me on this but reading through the previous posts makes me think that since the turbo is rebuilt, it spins less when on (low) idle and so some oil seeps past the seals which then burns up when you throttle up on taking off. makes sense..?

Rev

Member +
White smoke = water ( especially at idle ) so I wouldn't be worrying about oil which is blue smoke.

dark_knight

Member +
i use green-stuff coolant in my cooling circuit Rev, and i don't smoke on idle. it's only when pulling away from idle.. & again, it's only some time, not always.. so pretty puzzled.. :/