squeaking noise from (lower / rear) engine belt-side

dark_knight

Member +
before you behead me on this being a repeat post, please read and see if you can aid me in brainstorming.. :p

i have all new belts, cam, alternator and ps so no, they are not worn.
all these belts are also properly tightened and not wet.

now, the scenario is, on occasion, following a cold-start, there will be a squeaking sound that seems to emanate from the intake mani side of the engine but at times it feels as if it's coming from the belt-side further down. i'm suspecting either the water pump on its' way out, or the alternator.

question is, is my hunch that one of the two (or both) - knock on wood! - could be on their way out..? i have no overheating problems, no blockages in the cooling system so i'm sure the water pump is spot on. same for the alternator, voltage is steady around 14.1v on idle and i don't get voltage/current spikes that may be indicative of a struggling battery due to a sick alternator. i ask because both still seem to work fine but i'd like to be ready should they be on their march to retirement.

any wise words..?

dark_knight

Member +
squeak, not squeal

@bucketep91: i highly doubt that. like i mentioned already.. the belts are already as tight as they can be. ..& just to clarify, the squeaking sound is on and off, as if you are rubbing on a shiny metal surface with a coin, then off again.. then on.. and off. disappears on revs above idle and is only present on cold-starts.

i highly suspect that one of the two (alternator or w/pump) could be sick. anyone else had a similar problem that pointed to either one of these..?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
As tight as can be? There not suppose to be as tight as can be, there is suppose to be some play left on the belt aswell!

dark_knight

Member +
belt tautness

@Iain@CRD: by my statement, i meant that it's as tight as can be within the reasonable limits - it's not sloshing loose nor is it so tight that i can't turn the belt about 90 degrees between the rolling cogs. it's just right.. so i highly doubt it's a belt slipping issue. i could be wrong though..

corofin12345

Member +
on cold start up, look at the waterpump pully to see if its moving (right under left engine mount).. to know if its the alternator.. park up against a wall at night with the lights on.. if the lights flicker while the noise is heard, its that belt or in some cases the bearing on the alternator pully.. if so, spray some wd40 around the pully (bearing).. another way to check if its belts is too turn the steering wheel on cold start up to see if noise gets worse.. crud but effective ways to try

dark_knight

Member +
possible solutions

@corofin12345: thanks mate. will try both the talc powder and the wd40. have been watching my voltage/current spikes and all seems normal on that front so i can almost rule that out now. doesn't hurt to try again though. it was pissing down yesterday so will wait for the weather to dry out a little today then give it another go.
will revert.
cheers..

AdamB

Member +
When the alternator belt was changed, did you make sure all electrics were on before tightening the belt tension bolt finally? As when electrics are on the alternator will draw more current.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i took my belt off and used a 4efe one and re tensioned it and now there are no squeaks. and checked current and its charging, so in one day managed solve all issues.

dac69er

Super Moderator
plenty of things it could be. take all the auxillary belts off and start the car. if the noise stops you know its not anything cambelt related.

then fit one belt at a time to work out if it the powersteering or the alternator/waterpump.

i have had a problem with a dry bearing on the alternator before and it cuased a squeeking noise. but if its not any of them it will be the waterpump needs changing. the waterpump will tend to work fine, but if it starts to squeek then its on its way out.