TGTT.com DEC Newsletter

gv1.3

Admin
ToyotaGTturbo.com Newsletter edition 1 Dec 2007

Introduction

Welcome to the very first edition of the tgtt.com newsletter. Our site has gone from strength to strength and the staff decided the best way to capture a snapshot of our community on a month to month basis was to use a newsletter.
The wealth of knowledge and vast amounts of information that pass through our site on a monthly basis is enormous and hopefully the highlights will provide some entertainment for you guys going forward and the work which goes in to activities such as this will reinforce the staffs dedication to our site.

At points throughout the month you may be asked to contribute to the newsletter by one of our staff members as this is all about you and your community. Please submit any ideas and feedback to toyotagtturbo@gmail.com

At this time of year I would like to appeal to you guys to take extra care out there as we have seen many accidents on the site recently with one member tragically losing his life.

I wish you all the best,

Dylan (gv1.3)

The Monthly Interview

INTERVIEWER: Dylan
INTERVIEWEE: Jay

How long have you been a member on TGTT.com?
Since the dawn of time. Or around 2001-ish in normal terms.

Do you have a second name or are you single named like the stig?
I do have a second name - it is Jay as well. Unfortunately I do not have the driving ability of the stig.

Where do you live?
A sleepy little fishing village in County Down, Northern Ireland.

When did you get your first GT and how many have you owned?
I bought my first GT back in Feb 2000. Excluding the breakers I have owned 2 mk1's and 2 quadlamp automatics plus a GT-spec EP80. I still have my first GT.

If time and money were not an issue what would you do with your GT?
Looking at the 1990 showroom brochure I would love to build a completely stock, showroom condition 1990 GT and load it with all the options. With none of this modification crap I seem to get drawn into.

Have you ever been in the backseat of your GT and what was the purpose of your visit?
Once, to change the fuel pump.

Whats the best part of owning your GT?
When all is said and done it's a one point three.

Whats the best part of TGTT.com?
The people. Sorry to sound corny but they make this site what it is.

What pets do you have?
I have a furry gerbil called Somhairle and a cat called Mohammed (cue lynch mob ). I used to have a squirrel named Yby but he ran away.

What is your fav film?
It's a tie between Smokey & The Bandit and The Commitments. Could watch them till the mountains fall into the sea and the sun goes supernova.

What 3 people would you like to have as passengers on a long drive?
John Lennon, Elvis Presley and Jesus.
If only for the confused looks at the traffic lights. I bet we'd have a number one album created before we reached our destination as well.

What are your car plans for the next 12 months?
Drive the auto GT. Rebuild the Project GT. Improve the Track GLi.

You seem to spend a lot of time on tgtt.com are you addicted?
The doctors say with the right medication and enough moral support I should be cured within 6-8 months. Till then you are all stuck with me.

Welcome Section

This month we have had alot of activity in the Welcome Section, as usual, and alot of different and diverse members joining. To mention a few of the places, New Zealand, Belgium, Bulgaria and as far a field as Guatemala. As people have noticed the site and club is still growing and this brings different views, methods and styles which cannot be a bad thing. The diverse culture that is growing on the site can sometimes bring a clash of tuning and body styling methods, so just to remind people we try and practice tolerance and acceptance. Please people be patient and try and guide new members and keep your comments Civil and polite, as you all are representatives of the community.

One of the new members that caught my eye recently was poli, being the proud owner of one of the only Glanza's in bulgaria he is sure to start a trend and show people in his country that the starlet isn't just an OAP or learners car and deserves respect. His car already has a phenomenal spec list and his ambition seems to still be strong as he is planning a 4WD conversion.

This month also saw the appointment of a new moderator to the section, Craig has been a long standing member and has shown real maturity and great ability, We think he will be a great addition to the team and we wish him luck with his new duties and hope you all show him the co-operation you show the rest of the staff.

I would like to welcome him and the all of the new members on behalf of the ToyotaGTTurbo.com staff and members and hope the find their stay enjoyable.

Frank ( Franza1 )

Photo Feature

"Night & artificial lights"

DSC_0012.jpg

What do you need to do this kind of photo :
- a tripod
- a camera with manual mode

To do night photo you obviously need a camera first. This Camera will need to have Manual mode, it means you will be able to choose your own speed and aperture. As speed setting will be quite slow, you also need a tripod so your photo won't be all blured.

To do same kind of photo you will need to do it at the right time. and this exact time is when first stars pop up from the sky. at that time, you still have some very low light that your eyes don't see, but the camera sensor will that explains why on this photo the sky is a little bit blue while with your own eyes you would have seen darkness only...
- set up your camera on your tripod at the angle of your choice (on that photo it was a wide angle close to the ground about 2 meters from cars
- select Manual mode.
- open apperture to the max (lower figures are higher appertures ! let's say around 2.8)
- set up the shutter speed around 15 sec
- 400 iso should do on most camera

now if you first photo is too dark. choose a longer exposure (like 20 or 30 sec), if it is too bright well then just do the opposite (go for a shorter exposure, like 8 sec) do a photo again and apply same procedure until you got the right exposure.

you are done !

Lionel (Azerty)

Events

Past
Even though its winter and most shows and meets die off around this time of year it hasn't stopped the members of toyotagtturbo.
Popular as ever is the blue water meet in Kent! Attended by many regular faces off the site and local starlets! It's a big event and always has a big attendance, photo's of the event can be found here- http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=6167

Unfortunately like some meets, this was rudely brought to an end early. Idiotic behaviour by drivers of cars, in a confind space can soon make people leave. Even more sad to find out the car was in fact a poor starlet. Can we just remind our members that you are representing the site out in public and we don't want a bad reputation behind us. We wont tolerate the behaviour and action has been taken to the members off the site. Other than that I hope all the other members had a good time up until that point and it hasn't put you off attending another meet.

Also in November we had the memorial meet for Glynn! Who sadly lost his life in a car accident. It was nice to see many members from the site as well as other site's attend this meet. A thank you to Si Glanza for keeping the site informed so we could all say our goodbyes to Glynn and for posting up the details of the meet. Pictures can be found here -
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=3703

Upcoming Events
Christmas is certainly not slowing the pace down and quite a few events are already planned.
For members in Ireland who are looking for an action packed day then why not attend grand prix style day which is being organised by TGTT member WeeJohn.
Its taking place on Thursday 27th December and at a special low cost. Members can expect to have some great fun in their motors whilst remaining safe and legal on a track. For more information see the thread here- http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=4971

For members in the North-West of England the Guys Court meet will be held on the 30th December located in the Blackpool/Preston area. It's a nice quiet relaxed meet with great food facilities and mature minded car enthusiast in attendance. Please be aware this is not a tgtt organised event but we are hosting the information up on request of the organiser of the skyline owners club. http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5926

Also popping up in January is the West Yorkshire meet being organised by Idrees! Its taking place on Sunday 27th January and all the information can be found here http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=6183

For people in the Southampton area an organised event with expected police attendance is taking place on the 16th December. Again a gentle reminder that this isn't a tgtt organised event but hosted up by local members of tgtt for the event in their area. http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5396

I hope all our members have a nice Christmas and New Year and look forward to the year ahead! Hopefully we will see our members support toyotagtturbo through the whole of next year attending major shows and making us all proud.

Kelly (kelly)

Tech Talk

Welcome to our first TGTT Newsletter my friends.

As part of this new site feature I've been asked to offer a few technical pointers and I thought a few of these tips might help you all through the winter:

- Maintenance is key for reliability especially through the colder months of the year. Give your cars a good safety checkover covering the fluids, brakes, suspension and tyres. Replace any safety-related items before they prove a problem. Special attention should be paid to antifreeze strength and tyre quality.

- Before setting out on your adventures ensure your car is fully demisted and your lights are all working. Visibility is highly important in poor weather conditions.

- Stick to familiar routes and choose treated roads over the more hazardous backroads. Keep your mobile phone charged and with you.

- Drive to the conditions. There's a time and place so save it all up for there and then.

- Expect a lot more condensation due to the cold. It's something to check before a panic-stricken thread about turbo seals on the forum.

- DO NOT use japanese snow tyres on the roads in slippery conditions. They are lethal in the dry and ten times worse on a slippy highspeed curve with a bad camber. I speak from experience.

- Your driving technique should be on the 'Smooth' setting in slippery conditions. Don't stab at brakes or jerk the steering wheel. Keep it relaxed and controlled.

- Stopping distances. Increase them people. Preferably by around ten as Toyota front end parts are expensive.

- One last thing, if you are enjoying any festive drinks please please please leave your keys at home. The reasons are obvious and I'll not insult your intelligence by repeating the drinkdrive campaigns across the media. Just promise you will all take heed.

Above all please be cautious, be happy and be safe over the xmas and new year period.

Have yourselves a merry little xmas!

Jay (Jay)

Chillout

Hey guys,

Well this being the 1st issue i thought id show y'all whats hot & whats not in the chilout room :)

To start off u cant go into the chillout room & not view one of the 1st posts... Music! hehe yeah everybody
loves one style or another and contunued from the old site we decided to keep it going as it was awesome.
This thread is now 8 pages long & growing strong! There is something for everybody so why not add your style to
it as well? u never know who may like what u listen too :D
Check it out http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=484

Whats hot
A thread for y'all to see is the "Whats Your Mod/Spec List? " thread, its gonna be a big one & everybody
can share and see whats most commonly used & well pretty much see what everybodys doin to their cars !!
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=6093

Thanks to Somhairle for this one it made me p myself lol:
The: "Ten Rules For Dating My Daughter.... " Thread
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5997

Well are much beloved Member Cal, for once posted up something useful this time of year,
well i suppose everybody enjoys havin a go at this lad, but this thread was usefull for xmas; got
members to share their xmas "to buy list"
The: what have you bought your girl/boy friend for xmas?? Thread
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5901

Gee asked a pretty good question which well, ended with most of the site posting lol
The: "Who's Relationship Is In Danger Due To The Money They Spend On Their Car?" Thread
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5574

Man who's isnt lol :p

Well, the Chillout room has 62 Pages of anything from a bored member posting rubbish to some pretty hot pics
of shows etc so theres something for everyone. Stay tuned for next month's newsletter .. im sure
there will be more to dish out from the "The Chillout Room"

Konrad (Hybrid)

Project Of The Month

78.jpg

This Month the winner of project of the month was Nick aka Jones36, His fantastically prepared ep82 has gone through alot of modification during his stay, His Black Starlet GT sits beautifully on a set of 15" Black Toms Wheels with an anodised lip bringing just enough pop to the package to make it stand out without being too overpowering, The Black paint work shows signs of being polished hours upon hours on end, showing it's owners passion for his beloved motor.
The outside is still basically a standard Quadlight out of the factory, well what a GT out of the factory should have looked like with just a few suttle mods such as Clear Front Indicator's and tinted Rear Window's. But don't let the standard exterior fool you, he has implemented most of the modifications where it counts, the engine and chassis.

Packing a TD04 turbo under the bonnet as well as alot of WEPR goodies, an Emanage Blue to keep it all in check and a RoadRunner 5 puck paddle clutch to make sure the power goes where it should its sure to make you want a new set of underwear as soon as you press your foot down on the loud pedal. Cooling has also been taken care of with it having a Setrab 10Row Oil Cooler, Mocal Remote Oil Thermostat, JVT Racing All Aluminum Triple Core Radiator and a Sard Low Temperature Thermostat making sure all that gets hot under the collar is the passenger.

Handling has not been over looked either with it packing Cusco L Zero 2 Fully Adjustable Coilovers, Cusco Adjustable Top Mount's, Cusco Type OS Rear Strut Brace, RSR adjustable Lateral Control Rod, Ultra Racing 4 Point Lower Arm Bar, Whiteline Adjustable Rear Anti-Roll Bar and a Standard Front Strut Brace making it well capable of holding it's own. Stopping power is taken care of by a set of, 3G 10Grooved Front Brake Disc's, Mintex 1144 Racing Front Brake Pad's and Castrol Dot4 Brake Fluid.

Inside it packs some nice goodies too, including a HKS Mechanical Boost Gauge, Defi Style Oil Temperature Gauge, Defi Style Water Temperature Gauge and a Vem's Wideband A/F Ratio/Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge making sure all in in check when his foot is applied to the floor. In Car entertainment has been taken care of too with Infinity Component Speakers, Cerwin Vega Tweeter's and a Melody4u CD/MP3 Headunit making sure boredom is avoided in traffic. He is still planing a bit more tweaking and fiddling with his motor so watch this space. All in all not too shabby for his first car.

His Project page can be found here > http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=2787

And his feature page here > http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=6444

Frank (Franza1)

Trader Offers Of The Month

Our traders offer the best bargains around and are proven to be the most reliable way to purchase replacement OEM and high performance tuning parts for your pride and joy. Dont take chances purchasing from strangers online, get advice and service from the people who know!
Check out all their happy customers in our sales feedback section and remember to leave some kind words once your transaction is complete!

Toy Tuning - 15% off Whiteline products. Contact Toby for further details http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Starletgtturbo - Discount on Exedy std/org/paddle clutch kits, Apexi and Power Ent Air filters and 10% off all 3G and Mintex Brake products. 5% off whiteline kit. Speak to Dave for further details http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Jay's Garage - Winter Waterland Clearout Sale now on - http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=5401

Toyota GT Turbo.com Site information
It is very evident that our site is the busiest it has ever been. Our anticipated increase in volume was the deciding factor to move to dedicated hosting and robust software. With user volumes peaking at 242 browsing our home at once we need the best available.... for more interesting facts about the most popular GT/Glanza site on the net read on....

November Statistics

New Registered Members: 270
Average individual users visiting daily: 401
New Threads: 1,626
Total Members: The current total number of members is 1499
On November 11 we had our record simultaneous users online of 242 users

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Great Stuff well done to everyone who produced such a good newsletter really looks and reads perfectly spot on :) Well done guys/gals pat yourselves on the back :)

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Great work all the staff, thanks alot franza i love the write up of my project of the month, thanks alot buddy.

~Nick

D3N0

Member +
great, we have a newsletter. it was a very interesting read, and also informed me on good threads that i had missed.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Cheers for the response, it was Dylan's idea and he organised it so top work Dy!

Amen to that!! glad it was liked :D i can assure u ALOT was put into it by the staff!!

top result, congrats to everbody who inputted into it!! :rockon: